UGAC - Megaman Villain - Rules

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2006
shading question

Quote:
TECHNICAL SPECS:
  • 8,000 triangles LIMIT
  • 2 Color maps 1024x1024 with alpha
  • 2 Normal maps 1024x1024 with alpha
  • 2 Specular maps 1024x1024 with alpha
  • 2 Glow/Effects/Whatever maps 1024x1024 with alpha
THIS IS A CHALLENGE - PLEASE FOLLOW THE TECH SPECS VERBATIM, if you have any questions that are not already asked in the FAQ below, feel free to post them here (in the rules thread) and they will be answered and added to the FAQ’s

Ok, maybe a silly question but I've never gotten much into texturing. Can we cell shade? Or do we absolutely have to have normal maps and such?

09 September 2006
Originally Posted by mtague: [color=#fffffe]
[color=#fffffe]

Ok, maybe a silly question but I've never gotten much into texturing. Can we cell shade? Or do we absolutely have to have normal maps and such?

[/size]

Technically you can use all that stuff with cel shading. You could use cel shading if you wanted but if you're using it to avoid creating actual textures, I think you're missing the point.

09 September 2006
Elaborate

i have a few questions. 1) is this suposed to be a functional character for a vidio game engine?
2) if this is for a game engine do i need to worrie about back face culling? 3) must i use all the maps? that seems like over kill to me. 4) what forum should i post works in progress? 5) how finished should they be before i post?

I ask because this is my first time in contest.

09 September 2006
hello everyone

thanks brown for answering my question before
I do how ever have another question todo with the normal mapping.
My question is once youve created the high poly version
projected the normal map onto the low poly version,
do then have to uv map the high poly model for texturing?

09 September 2006
Originally Posted by neps: hello everyone

thanks brown for answering my question before
I do how ever have another question todo with the normal mapping.
My question is once youve created the high poly version
projected the normal map onto the low poly version,
do then have to uv map the high poly model for texturing?

No. You only need to UV the low poly. Once you've baked the normals from the high poly you can discard it, it isn't needed anymore.

09 September 2006
This is cool! I'm not gonna do this one along the lines of these rules, but i am working (with breaks inbetween) on a megaman character while I'm learning blender.
It's for the megaman ZERO universe though, but I think if I went for it it i could make the poly limit etc match the rules set here. I don't think I will, too much shit to do, but maybe you like the geezer:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...t=340139&page=2
got a background story and all, just no name yet. Can't pin one down. Plus props aren't done yet.

09 September 2006
Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Ghostscape

No. You only need to UV the low poly. Once you've baked the normals from the high poly you can discard it, it isn't needed anymore.

Thank for your help I was beginning to rack my head a bit

will heres a link for what I've done so far
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=403560

Last edited by neps : 09 September 2006 at 03:18 AM. Reason: posted it wrong

09 September 2006
Can I use more than 1 uv set?

09 September 2006
Question

ok this question has been bugging me for some time now......SINCE we are doing this to stay TRUE to the original art style, Ive seen very little that is needed for a high poly normal maped version of these characters....since the faces should be more textured than detail.

Or am I missing the point of the high poly somewhere asside from ribits and a few joint?

Just wanted to understand just what some people are doing with there normal maps was all 0_o;; (Ok maybe jems now that I think about it...)

UGAC - MegaMan Robot Master: "Scratch Man" WIP

-My Group-

www.madninjacow.com

"Fear the Moo!"

09 September 2006
Well I agree. I am having a hard time understanding what all the texture space is for. I could understand if you can't get your character to be quite right with the 8,000 polys. The whole point of Megaman characters is that they are clean, neat, and simple. If the character even has rivets, I cant believe that I would waste memory space for a normal map. A properly painted texture map should be fine. To make the charecter reflective like it is in the game may use another map, unless a material is ok to use. This is a question i would like answered.

09 September 2006
You don't have to use all the texture space if you don't want to use it.

The rules are structured as such so that if you want to make a "nextgen" Megaman Villain with complex materials, etc, you can.

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by Ghostscape: You don't have to use all the texture space if you don't want to use it.

The rules are structured as such so that if you want to make a "nextgen" Megaman Villain with complex materials, etc, you can.

Ahhhhh, see to me this is the problem with "Next-Gen" but thats just me. Normal maps seem to put off kinda hard shadows and add a grit to a model that as many have said doesnt really flow with the MM style. That aside, I din't see anywhere specs for a low poly model. I was thinking bewteen 2k and 2.5k is this good, bad, reasonable? 8k seems like A LOT of polys (understand about the normal map thing) Would love some extra info on the low poly stuff though! ThanX!

Oh btw great selection of content!

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by KidNiki: Ahhhhh, see to me this is the problem with "Next-Gen" but thats just me. Normal maps seem to put off kinda hard shadows and add a grit to a model that as many have said doesnt really flow with the MM style. That aside, I din't see anywhere specs for a low poly model. I was thinking bewteen 2k and 2.5k is this good, bad, reasonable? 8k seems like A LOT of polys (understand about the normal map thing) Would love some extra info on the low poly stuff though! ThanX!

Oh btw great selection of content!

Ahha, well after some thinking and research (I've nere used normal maps before), I've decided that it would work perfectly for my character so I think I know how to integrate them and sylistacly keep him looking correct!

10 October 2006
Are we allowed to divide the (2) 1024x1024 diffuse map into equal portions ie: (4) 512x512 diffuse maps need to know please so i can set up my UV's. thanks for the reply

10 October 2006
delete this post... found the answer...

Last edited by Okie-Ozolinsh : 10 October 2006 at 11:47 AM.

Thread Closed share thread