Ugac - Prop 102 - Ultimate Crate/barrel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by bentllama: THIS IS THE ULTIMATE CRATE!

try to think outside the box! literally! it could be a crate, a barrel, a cryo tube, a field locker, etc.

***1000 tris for the crate/barrel, whatever is detailed around it and whatever is in it...***

1000 tris does not sound too unreasonable with smart loading schemes, instancing of objects and auto LOD's...

just have fun adn remember the keyword... ULTIMATE!

Sooo...It doesnt HAVE TO BE a Crate or barrel?...as you said....but rather just an ICONIC background type item...Like a Crate or Barrel...or "a cryo tube, a field locker, etc."

is that correct?

06 June 2005
i'm guessing something like in Halo, those alien weapon lockers. most of the time, they served as "barrels" for you to duck behind and get in your way. others, they had weapons in them. those defiantly had more the 12 faces on them and some cool textures.

bent, you ever play halo?

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Projectkmo: Sooo...It doesnt HAVE TO BE a Crate or barrel?...as you said....but rather just an ICONIC background type item...Like a Crate or Barrel...or "a cryo tube, a field locker, etc."

is that correct?

Just be creative. Anything in a game where you would smash it open with a weapon or something, or with a key. Any style, any theme, just has to be a crate like object.

06 June 2005
a 'CRATE' object, as they are used in games, generally refers to an object that is used and repeated throughout the game as a device for some gamplay mechanic. that gameplay mechanic can be geared towards the crate holding inventory [weapons locker], dispensing coins or powerups [like mario or crash], or as a propane tank that you roll and shoot to blow up enemies or it can simply be used as an impromptu bunker for the player to escape enemy fire...

use your imagination! there are many possibilities!

THIS IS YOUR ULTIMATE CRATE!!!

06 June 2005
Ah, that's expanded it a bit. I was thinking along the lines of the ones you get weapons and power-ups from, but now you've bought the cover/bunker aspect into it...

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by The Nemesiah: WouldnŽt it be extra nice if someone out of the kindness of her/his/its heart would post a kind of tutorial/how to:

Low poly modeling

Normal Mapping

Alpha Mapping

etc....?

I think it would be EXTRA nice,

Soooooooooo......

Anyone?

Thanks.

P.S. IF there is already such a tutorial please refer us to it since I havenŽt found Any and I would very much like to participate in this contest.

we have various threads that are made sticky in the game art forums that hold lots of useful tipps and information...the search button is yourbest friend!

06 June 2005
So if I were to make a ammo crate type thing with ammo in it, each ammo peice would add to the poly count, even if they are just duplicates?

Last edited by Synthesizer : 06 June 2005 at 03:46 PM.

06 June 2005
This is a great topic; I really want to try this one!

06 June 2005
LOL! You ruined the "Start to Crate" rating of CGtalk! Check out this article for an explanation: http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/39.html

+9 against ogres

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Synthesizer: So if I were to make a ammo crate type thing with ammo in it, each ammo peice would add to the poly count, even if they are just duplicates?

Quote: *** ONLY model the prop. We do not want to see models of the vehicle, character or environment the prop belongs to...THIS CHALLENGE IS ONLY ABOUT THE PROP.
Sketches or a description of what the prop belongs to will be enough to sell the PROP. FOCUS ON THE PROP. ***

the ammo wouldn't be made, just the container, or "crate" holding it.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Supervlieg: How about including a call for judges in the challenge outline? If we get 'em while the challenge is running, maybe the voting will happen more quickly.

haha, you think that'll make a difference? everyone forgets anyway. You PM them to remind them and they're like "ehh. that's still going on?" haha

Last edited by Neil : 06 June 2005 at 10:21 PM.

06 June 2005
interesting topic.
Too bad it suffers from the same "because it can" attitude of when asked "why is it that many polys and why is the texture sheet that big"....

It's funny that game art competition are meant to hone your art skills, yet this seems to totallys disregard everything we've learned about optimization, which is like one of the top 3 rules.

06 June 2005
I think the poly count is petty real for next gen games. And you don't have use them all, hell if you use 1000 for a box thats crazy but that 1000 polys opens up the comp for cool ideas.

I do have one question, You have:

ONE 512x512 colour map w/alpha
ONE 512x512 spec map
ONE 512x512 normal/bump map

This means there are two grayscale maps right, Also does the Alpha on the diffuse need to be use for alpha, as I wish to use it for a gloss map?

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Neil: haha, you think that'll make a difference? everyone forgets anyway. You PM them to remind them and they're like "ehh. that's still going on?" haha

Are you saying youŽll judge for us?

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Neil: interesting topic.
Too bad it suffers from the same "because it can" attitude of when asked "why is it that many polys and why is the texture sheet that big"....

It's funny that game art competition are meant to hone your art skills, yet this seems to totallys disregard everything we've learned about optimization, which is like one of the top 3 rules.

the utmost goal of these challenges is to have FUN. every now and then we mix up tougher restrictions. you can still hone your skills within these guidelines, expecially the skill of good design...which I recall is something that EVERYONE's work here needs improvement upon...including you and I.

...besides, not everyone is developing for cel phones.

reply share thread