In the wake of the previous challenges, we are getting back to simpler roots with a smaller challenge. We have decided to try and keep these challenges short and sweet to allow for more growth as an artist by partaking in these challenges while requiring less commitment than previous challenges. Instead of a month long 'full' challenge - which is what the new format of the Unofficial Game Art Challenges may again become - we will test the waters with shorter 'prop' mini challenges.
PROP 102 THEME:
ULTIMATE CRATE / ULTIMATE BARREL
In this challenge, you are tasked with creating the one iconic object that will populate your game world. Your ULTIMATE CRATE or ULTIMATE BARREL is an instant icon of pop culture. Picture if you will the Question Mark Boxes from the Mario games, the crates of Mangos from Crash Bandicoot or the barrels from Donkey Kong. They are all objects from gaming history that have made it as a symbol of the genre. IT is now your task to redefine that gaming staple. Lets see what your crates and barrels look like...and what treasures they hold!
PROP 102 Guildelines:
YOUR MODEL MUST fit within the CRATE AND BARREL mechanic:
*** ONLY model the prop. We do not want to see models of the vehicle, character or environment the prop belongs to...THIS CHALLENGE IS ONLY ABOUT THE PROP.
Sketches or a description of what the prop belongs to will be enough to sell the PROP. FOCUS ON THE PROP. ***
- 1000 triangles LIMIT
- ONE 512x512 colour map w/alpha
- ONE 512x512 spec map
- ONE 512x512 normal/bump map
NAMING OF YOUR THREAD:
** YOUR THREAD MUST begin with:
UGAC - PROP 102 - ULTIMATE CRATE/BARREL -
So if I was creating a thread it would look like:
UGAC - PROP 102 - ULTIMATE CRATE/BARREL - bentllama
** if you do not name your thread exactly as it is outlined above, it will be renamed for you!
IN YOUR THREAD, YOU MUST POST:
- description of game genre - FPS, RTS, platformer, etc
- concept sketch - show us what you are thinking before modeling
- progress screens - show us how it is being modeled - take screen grabs and post them along the way
- texture plates - show all of the 512x512 texture files
- final render - two final 1024x768 JPGs - show the model from 4 views - front, side, back, perspective - include the title of your thread on these JPGs - make one showing a solid wireframe on the object and the other without wireframe, as it would be seen in the game engine
****** UGAC - PROP 102 - ULTIMATE CRATE/BARREL ENDS JULY 4th 12PM PST ******
Voting procedure will again be announced soon.