Challenges: Post Your Feedback

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2005   #1
Challenges: Post Your Feedback

With the success of the last mini prop challenge, some have expressed interest in doing another mini-challenge.

Would folks like to do another mini-challenge? Or would you like to do a full challenge?

Let us know what you think and sound off on how you thoughtt the mimi-challenge went, what you would change and possible future themes for upcoming challenges.

Old 06 June 2005   #2
I like the prop challenge. It was really good, and easy to get into and finish. Since it wasnt a long running challenge it was also pretty easy to plan within the short running time. The relatively low polygon count was a good call.

But in contradiction to that last point, maybe its a good idea to be more forgiving in the polygon count. With the advent of the next gen machines, it might be a good idea to allow slightly more polies for the next challenge.

I would like to see a small growth in the scope of the challenge, something like doing a vehicle. But it will have to be a simple one, to keep it in the vein of the prop challenge. And also to keep things manageble.

Anyway, lets hear more ideas!

Old 06 June 2005   #3
I like the idea of another prop challenge, I missed out on the previous one (noticed it only a few days before the deadline), and have been anxiously awaiting a new challenge to start. I think the mini-challenge is more accessible what with being shorter and.. well minier.

If you wanted to allow for a higher polygon count you could split the entries into a low or high count weight class so that you have your <1000 tris entires and >1000 tris entries, or whatever the cross over point may be.

Old 06 June 2005   #4
I truthfully don’t mind what the next challenge will be,
But with schools, and other institutions of learning, letting out for the summer, I suspect that there will be many more people entering the upcoming challenge. The only thing that I would suggest is that you find the three judges before the challenge ends, so we don’t have to wait so long for the entries to be judged…

Just my 2cents.

Old 06 June 2005   #5
I really would love another mini challange, not prop, different theme as summer is comming, college is out of way, really up for it, I think I didn't plan good in the previous challenge

as Supervlieg said, more extented poly count would be great

Old 06 June 2005   #6
Prop challenge was a great idea. Unfortunatly I missed it too. So I'm quite happy for another, as soon as it can be organised. In terms of polycount, it could stay low. Talking to a head of a local dev studio said they aren't expecting to work on a next gen game for another 6-12 months. And next gen consoles will still want optimised props, if you create high quality low poly work, you'll be able to fit more props on screen.

Anyway... small challenges are good.

Old 06 June 2005   #7
I'd love to do another challenge in the same vein as this last one. Maybe next time I'll actually start the model.

Old 06 June 2005   #8
agreed...maybe this time my computer won't disintegrate on me.

-KDX-

Old 06 June 2005   #9
I vote for a bigger (non mini) challenge. But a minichallenge would be cool too.

Old 06 June 2005   #10
How about something similar to the last one, but make it more specific in terms of a visual theme?

I'm thinking either cellshaded, stylised/cartoon, photoreal, or something along a similar route.

I'm not really a comp follower; I've only followed one really. I haven't seen any that needed a styled aesthetic visual criteria to be met.

Just an idea.

I also wouldn't mind joining the next one aslong as it's managable (read: small enough).

G.

Old 06 June 2005   #11
I wouldn’t mind having to design another character, but it didn’t seem to popular in the last UGAC…

Old 06 June 2005   #12
my contest idea. Take a everyday fruit or vegetable, and create a character base off it.its gotta ressemble the fruit/vegetable of your chosing. This is meant as a mini challenge. Triangle count doesnt matter(3000 or less).

just my 2 cent

Old 06 June 2005   #13
when are we possible expecting the next challenge

p.s. I've noticed your avatar Supervlieg, it raises as soon as you enter the page, could be me

Old 06 June 2005   #14
Let’s get this challenge started…

PS: As far as Mini-Challenge VS. UGAC, I will have to say the next challenge should be a month (min) to a month and a half (max) full-fledged UGAC… Just my 2 cents.

Old 06 June 2005   #15
I had a lot of fun with the mini challenge! I can see the desire for longer challenges, but I kinda like the short time span. It's a real challenge to turn out something that looks decent in a short amout of time. Good practice for a real production pipeline, you know.

reply share thread