Game Art Competition #9

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2004
CLICK HERE to see what's happening over at GamingArtist.com, and how you have a chance to win a great prize for your talents. I hope this helps to motivate everyone.

And remember, this contest will last through the entire month of august. Take the time to focus on every important detail.

07 July 2004
Hey Elysium. I'm trying to figure out if the idea I wanted to use was acceptable for the competition, or if it's too far out there? My WIP thread

07 July 2004
Looks fine to me. But, you may be creating much more than I've asked. Honestly, I would use all of the texture space and polygons just for the character. It's easier for the judges to evaluate one character. You're allowed to create more than one character. But, adding a secondary character would take away focus from your main entry.

I would concentrate all your attention on the fox, if only for this contest. You may add the elephant later with seperate textures and such, possibly for your beauty render...but only the fox will be judged since it's character fits within the guidelines.

Just some advice.

07 July 2004
I appreciate the advice. In all honesty, I was starting to lean that way last night when I realized that this newbie had bitten off a much larger chunk than I could chew. I'll go ahead and concentrate on the fox, then. Thanks for the advice on using the elephant as a beauty render prop. That hadn't occurred to me as a possibility.

07 July 2004
Congratulations Elysium, you've really hit a home run with this one! We've made barely onto page 3 of the challenge forum, with just this one challenge!!! I haven't seen this kind of turnout since the "official" days of the competition! It was a great idea, and people are really taking to it. Judging should be much more interesting this time, and much more time consuming!

07 July 2004
The submission thread is going to be huge! It's only been a little over a week since the start, and there's still over a month to go. I wanted to try something different, with more challenging guidelines. I joined CGtalk to participate in Game Art Comps #3 and #4. In #3, I placed third, and it was actually the first model I ever completed. I felt like I had learned so much, and found motivation from the thrill of competition. Tying with Hanzo in the last comp was great, but there were so few submissions. So, watching all these creations come to life, a result of my brainchild, is kinda exciting. Not to mention, Dargon, your concept is my desktop at the moment. I've been working on an 18th century British Navy Captain. A human one, but it was sort of the inspiration for this contest.

07 July 2004
Originally Posted by ElysiumGX: Not to mention, Dargon, your concept is my desktop at the moment. I've been working on an 18th century British Navy Captain. A human one, but it was sort of the inspiration for this contest.

That is the coolest thing evah. To think some person somewhere out there has my work on their desktop, I'm so chuffed!! I think that has to be on my list of goals... check that one off! Now I just have to actually get a game released... (just a few more short months. I can do it, really, I can. Can't I?)

08 August 2004
A small update for everyone. We're now into the month of August. That means there is close to one month left in the competition, and we already have nearly 2 and a half pages of entries. Things will most likely quiet down a bit, we had an exciting start, but I expect everyone to make great progress. There should be more entries to come, probably up until the last week (like my entry in the last comp. ) Before the end of the contest, I'll gather more judges.

The submission thread is going to be overflowing with talent. Take your time, do your best, stay motivated, and good luck.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions. If you need help, send me a PM.

08 August 2004
when the next comp will be on, to prepare my PC cause I have a faulty M/B.

08 August 2004
This challenge will be completed hopefully near the middle of September. The deadline is Sept. 5th. Afterwards we'll need time for the judges to reply, which I hope will not take longer than a week. Then, if the winner accepts, it's only a matter of time for the next idea to be posted. And I hope it's a good one, because I want to get back into the competition.

So if your entry is doing well, and there's a chance of winning, begin thinking about a creative idea for the next challenge that everyone can enjoy. As first place winner, your responsibility is to keep this train moving.

08 August 2004
Nice work with the plug, bent, but why point it to this page? surely its too late to start an entry at this point, so wouldnt it be better to direct the link to the forum with all the entries in? That way, casual viewers can check up on each persons progress.

08 August 2004
....I'd really like to see a WWII Ninja Giffin now....

may have a shot at this one unless we receive our final project at school this week..

08 August 2004
"I'd really like to see a WWII Ninja Giffin now..."

are you joking???

08 August 2004
yeah dude.....the mental image I got from that descrption was funny...(I wonder if I could change my username .........

08 August 2004
Originally Posted by Andy H: surely its too late to start an entry at this point

Never. There's still several weeks left. I plan on starting an entry of my own just for fun this weekend.

Thread Closed share thread