Game Art Competition #6

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2004
I think the texture resolution limit matches that of the poly limit. Thats not really a huge amount of polygons for what would be a main character. I for one am totally happy with the current limits.

03 March 2004
Im agreed with one 256² and one 512² texture.

03 March 2004
I will judge, if you dont already have enough

I think it should stick to a 512 and a 256. there are very few texture artists out there that can convince me a 1024 was necesarry. in fact i can rattle them off using one hand. Dark Horizon, Bobo, Peppi, and hyper. thats all that comes to mind right now. (speaking of game artists)

You should be able to achieve a likeness with a 256x256 if you wanna hand with the big boys. Daz (lead character artist on 007, everything or nothing) did all of those famous actors faces on a 256, and they look exactly like the actors in question.

www.mr-chompers.com

03 March 2004
can we use reflection maps? (ie a non counted map for environment reflections/gloss)

03 March 2004
argh!!
Why does every competition begin with someone automatically complaining about not being able to use 5000x5000 texture sheet and 1000000 polys.
If it's REALLY that tough to sit down and crunch on a lower scale, then just don't participate

I'm not trying to pinpoint any 1 person, just in general, because i know they're gonna keep coming.

03 March 2004
i don't believe anyone mentioned anything about the polycount, but i did mention something about the texture size. I can definatly work on a smaller scale, but i was suggesting a bigger one... I don't think there were any people demanding anything out of the question or anything... We (or most of us) did not try to upset you "on purpose" we were just reasoning, and normal reasoning never hurt anybody... I bet most of us can work on a 512x512 texture sheet, but it wouldn't hurt to make it bigger... Sorry if i upset anyone... :(

03 March 2004
the maps and count are fine.

there will be different engines in your career with you having to cater to the strengths and limitations of each...

suck it up and do the best you can with what you are given...that is part and parcel with contributing to game art...

[also...paint your maps at 2x the res and scale them down for submission...after the FUN contest is over, use your original maps for your folio...]

03 March 2004
Quote: Originally posted by supervlieg
Im agreed with one 256² and one 512² texture.

DITTO.

03 March 2004
instead of bickering about rules which have been set can someone PLS tell me if we can use a not counted reflection/gloss map! or does it have to be in the counted textures

03 March 2004
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have a bad case of the flu. Plus, I was called in for jury duty & got put on a trial that will last 4-5 days T_T

Back to businessc

I was Ok with the 1 512x512 for the last comp based on the theme. But for this theme I felt we would need some more space to do the actorfs justice. Thatfs why I asked everyonefs opinion, since Ifm not too fimiliar with all the limitation in the industry. So, I am happy to announce that the texture limit has now officially been upped too:
1 512x512 & 1 256x256 (5 256x256)
I will also edit the front page to reflect the change.

Quote: Originally posted by commy
hm so can i use a reflection map?

I would have to say no. As far as I know, console games donft use reflection maps for characters. Maybe on the cars in gneed for speedh but, not for characters. Either way... No to the reflection map.

Quote: Originally posted by David
I take it people have to post their reference pictures in their final submission right?

I havenft given the exact guidelines yet for the submissions thread yet. But, yes I do plan on having you guys post a reference photo of the actor in costume from the movie along side your model for comparison. I donft think picking an actor that is not well known would hurt you. Just as long as the model looks like the actor, and all other things turn out well (poly placement,texture space usage, etc.) then you should be OK.

03 March 2004
These sorts of limitations on textures are quite common on consoles and many PC games, in fact most are alot less.

I think most people get so used to what a PC FPS can push around on screen that they forget most games can't afford that sort of luxury especially if your developing for a console like the PS2.

At the moment I'm doing a realistic texturing for an ingame main character and I have a single 256 indexed texture. So If 1 x 512 is a problem for you then you'd probably last 3 minutes in the industry.

512 x512 and a 256 is plenty.

03 March 2004
wha?! ure saying i cant use a reflection map at all? loads of games have reflection maps on characters halo, max payne 2 etc etc u need them for glasses/leather etchave to say this is highly dubious! i dont mind if u insist that it has to be a counted texture (tho it shouldnt be as it would be a global not character texture) but to say non at all is rather harsh! especialy when ure allowing normal maps which i dont believe consoles have at all

Last edited by commy : 03 March 2004 at 11:28 AM.

03 March 2004
no reflection maps? deal with it. stop asking over and over again. bentlama said it best.

03 March 2004
man this is going to be a cool challenge. glad i stumbled onto it.

to check which names are taken

(i'm putting that there for myself as much as anything, because i keep going back to the search page to find them easier)

03 March 2004
Quote: Originally posted by commy
wha?! ure saying i cant use a reflection map at all? loads of games have reflection maps on characters halo, max payne 2 etc etc u need them for glasses/leather etchave to say this is highly dubious! i dont mind if u insist that it has to be a counted texture (tho it shouldnt be as it would be a global not character texture) but to say non at all is rather harsh! especialy when ure allowing normal maps which i dont believe consoles have at all

firstly, halo uses something a little different...I wish I could say more but I can't and you will just have to trust me on that...

as for normal mapping...well there are and will be plenty of high profile xbox games that use it...

Thread Closed share thread