Game Art Competition #6

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2004
Cool idea happosai311. I would like to be a judge again if possible. Cheers

03 March 2004
Well what about animated stuff.

Can we do something from and animated movie or does it have to be a real actor/actress?
Just wondering, would widen the field a bit.

03 March 2004
Quote: Originally posted by RampanT
I think it'd be nice to have props too, but i'd include that in the 4500 polys. I'd still like to go with the 1024 x 1024 texture size though, and the texturing of the prop would have to be on this texture sheet also.

Another query i have and its fairly important for this competition, - are you allowed to use photographs on the texture sheet? Obviously if this is allowed, then getting a likeness will be more easy. Personally, i think it'd be a nice touch if the texture had to be hand-painted. I realize that if this was a real brief, the chances are that the actors would be getting scanned specifically for the game models. But i still think it would be a better exhibition of skills if the skins were painted by hand.

Yeah that might be right. But on the other side that would be quite frustrating for people like me who are not a PS junkie...
So plz gimme photos

03 March 2004
I agree with the 512 + 256 texture maps. Since we are modeling a head likeness after all, maybe a little more budget in the way of textures would be of help?

And how about non-square textures? i.e. 512 x 256.

03 March 2004
I think you should bump the texture size to 1024x1024. It doesn't seem right to have 4500 polies in a model, bump map, specular map, normal map... and then a 512x512 texture. You should keep things even around 1024x1024 max.

03 March 2004
Quote: Can we do something from and animated movie?

Sorry, Only live actors/actresses for this theme.
Quote: How about props

Props are allowed. But they should be included in 4500tris and in the same texture sheet as the character. Props are not mandatory. But if you want to add one and have the ploys & texture space to spare, Go for it!
Quote: are you allowed to use photographs on the texture sheet?

Yes, I would assume that most people would use photos of the actors face for the texture. Like you said, If we were really at a game company, then we would have a 360 scanned image of the actor to use for texturing. So, Its OK to find a front & side photo and combine them together for the texture. But lots of photoshop touch-ups will still be needed, since most pictures will have special lighting or shadows that will need to be fixed before being used on the model.

About the texture size...
I think I will increase the limit. 1024x1024 is too much, I think I will up it to
1 512x512 & 1 256x256 (5 256x256) This will allow better detail for the face, or make extra room for a prop. Before I make it an official change I want to know if everyone is ok with this?

Pretty soon Ifll gather up the names of people that want to be judges.

I think Ifll also make a model for this Theme. Since I chose the theme & am also a judge, I wont enter my model. But I will still make a thread for it so I can get crits.

03 March 2004
I am really puzzled about the texture limitation. Most engines on the market today easily take 1024*1024 textures. Considering the poly count you are allowing there is no reason to restrict textures to a Quake size.

Last edited by ShadowM8 : 03 March 2004 at 06:15 AM.

03 March 2004
Think console games. Limited texture memory.

03 March 2004
Quote: Originally posted by RampanT
Another query i have and its fairly important for this competition, - are you allowed to use photographs on the texture sheet? Obviously if this is allowed, then getting a likeness will be more easy. Personally, i think it'd be a nice touch if the texture had to be hand-painted. I realize that if this was a real brief, the chances are that the actors would be getting scanned specifically for the game models. But i still think it would be a better exhibition of skills if the skins were painted by hand.

I agree with RampanT, cloning/sampling from photographs would make things easier. Need more challenge. This seems more like a texturing challenge, so let's challenge all our Photoshop/Painter skills .

EDIT: Bah, nevermind me, in the time i posted this, happosai answered the question :P.

03 March 2004
Im beginning to doubt my capability as judge, seeing there will be some actors that Im not at all familiar with.....

So, you dont need to save a seat for me...
But Im willing to judge anyway if it should be needed

Last edited by Ivars : 03 March 2004 at 01:18 PM.

03 March 2004
Quote: Originally posted by Ivars
Im beginning to doubt my capability as judge, seeing there will be some of actors that Im not at all familiar with.....

So, you dont need to save a seat for me...
But Im willing to judge anyway if it should be needed

I take it people have to post their reference pictures in their final submission right? So you just have to look at the given picture to judge the likeness. I think knowing the actor isn't that important. If it is I should take another choice. Happosai311 what are your thoughts on this?

I favor having 5 256x256 textures abviously. I mean the more space the better, but it's all up to happosai311 really.

Last edited by david : 03 March 2004 at 03:03 PM.

03 March 2004
1 x 512 and 1 x 256 is fine by me.

I was just making the same point as ShadowM8. With a poly limit of 4500 for the model, which is approaching Half-life2 spec, it seems strange to have such limited texture space, especially when the theme is to achieve a high level of accuracy in terms of likeness to the original actor. But as i say, if one 512 and one 256 is the going rate, then thats cool.

03 March 2004
hehe, i don't care how bad my modeling sucks, i'm going for this one! This will surely get me allot of practice. even though i obviously won't even come close to winning, it is, after all, a great way to practice!

having 1 1024x1024 texture sheet will definatly make everyone happier, since the polycount is so big. 512x512 texture sheets belong in oldies like quake! I would definatly agree on having one 512 and one 256, but i'd like to leave room for oppurtunities! The polycount and texture size should be well porportioned, because 58 pixels per poly doesn't seem enough! For competition 5, 512x512 would be very reasonable, because pixel characters didn't have that much detail in them, and we could have easily portrayed them using a 512 texture sheet. But this time we are creating real life actors, this may not be photorealistic, but we do need to get enough detail into the texture to make it look like the actor! Cartoony textures usually don't need much of a resolution, just because they don't need to have lot's of detail, but when modeling real life characters, you need some flexability! For a 512x512 texture sheet, it would take me half of the whole thing to just texture the face, and that is with limited quality. Adding a 256x256 map might help, but i still don't think it's enough to equally detail all parts of the model!
Please consider changing the limit to 1024x1024!

03 March 2004
cool idea , i might jump in on it after i finnish my current char

03 March 2004
hm so can i use a reflection map? is that ok? ie use the rgba as the mask?

to be honest i cant see the need for spec/bump maps and if u allow an extra 256 map for the face ure basicaly saying this is an rgba only texture set since theres no point having normals and spec on 1 part but not the other

Thread Closed share thread