Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Laurentiu Bontea-Coloman

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2004   #16
nice stuff man!

nothing else to say... (it's late)

Bruno

Old 06 June 2004   #17
Coloring WIP: Mercenarius

Major update!
I worked a lot yesterday but the final image still too far and 4 days is like a second with a 10 000 tons weight on my back.
As you see, some details on the pecs, some on the mechanic part.. nothing's finished, the lack of bg is still killing me. At least now I have an idea on it.
Tell me if you like it.

Old 06 June 2004   #18
I Like it.....nice style and mood...

Don't let us down...keep on working...times short...so good luck and post more soon

Old 06 June 2004   #19
I'll try to finish the character by tomorrow, and at least sketch the bg.
Thanks for positive feedback.

Old 06 June 2004   #20
Wow, this is looking awesome! Love your concept sketches too. Thx for your input on my thread (not sure if I have time to finish mine either, ha ha). I love the loose approach you have in developing your ideas and it is obvious you have great draftmanship skills... very inspiring

Man, there's too much talent to keep up with on this forum! I LOVE IT!

Good luck, bro

Old 06 June 2004   #21

I've tried to keep my word. All the limbs have taken shape, the background is sketched. He's standing somewhere at great heights in a dark part of the old city, surrounded by abandoned futuro-gothic buildings.
Still a lot left to do. Getting back to work.

Old 06 June 2004   #22
Coloring WIP: Mercenarius detail

A close-up made at 50% zoom. Have to do something with those wings. Time left: 3 days, 11 hours, 45 minutes, 32 seconds.This chronometer here is stressing me like hell.
Tell me if you like/hate it.

Old 06 June 2004   #23
hmmm...thanks for your words on my thread!!!
You're right about the time problems allthough i don't think it's as huge problem as it looks for the first sight.
My 2D teachers used to say: if you have to create a drawing, you have to make the decision when will you finish it and how many details will you add...a good picture is finished from the first minutes....no matter when have you stop it...I saw your picture and you have strong skills. I like your style coz it's living...and you can do great abstractions...you recreated your ideas during your work. That's an interesting idea why lots of artists want to create an overdetailed, confused image. If you put all the details on an image the viewer will die under the information's pushing. NOW U CAN MAKE A DECISION!
WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TO ME? Hands, eyes, chest, some details on the wing....BUT NOT ALL!!! You have the ability to keep the direction of the browser's eyes. Put on some warmer colors on the important parts, just some details, few highlights, some special contours.
I hope i could help with my words....
I really like your result....I'm honest mate...that's a fact!
Bests to you and now sit back, and keep that pushing!!!

Old 06 June 2004   #24
Excellent job, dude!
I agree with Tremoside...just keep it, and try do your best!!

Old 06 June 2004   #25
nice dude ...realy love it.....multa bafta in concurs

Old 06 June 2004   #26
I agree with tremoside. It's a challenge though to decide what should remain loose and suggestive and what should be refined and detailed. It's almost like film editing... Not to mention it's hard to keep the life of a sketch as you start defining the shapes.

I guess it's good to keep in mind the illustration should support the main character design. Anything else besides that is extra juice and you should only do it IF you got the time. It sure looks like you got the speed...

Look pretty nice so far man.
Good luck!

Bruno

Old 06 June 2004   #27

Huh, MrFreeman I'll try hard not to let anyone down..
The same to you!!

Thank you artjunkie, and you're right about the amount of talent, way, way too much. And too many entries.
I don't know if I even saw a half. Maybe cuz I came in waay too late.

Mark, you encouraged me more than you can imagine, must say that your REAL words went straight to
my heart (sounds so pathethic but when you really mean it, is like getting the real sense).
You're damn right about the false concept that a good artwork, must be an overdetailed one.
Details, if exagerated and/or without a REAL PURPOSE can really choke the image, this is something
that everybody shoud keep in mind.
But still, I don't think the details are the problem as much
as the multitude of unjustified elements crowded in a very small area, intended to demonstrate the one's
capacity of drawing anything in ONLY ONE painting or drawing. This is not a quality, but a fear.

I'm always glad to hear about someone that is apreciating the real values in art and
not some kitschuristic eyecandies, that keep suffocating it.
Thanks again for the consistent and objective observations and for all the useful advices.
You might be the teacher I never had. Take care and stay sharp.

Thanks BloodTaster. I've seen your final and it looks really awesome.
I'll try to do my best, so far this piece is one of the most studied I ever did.

The same to you Bruno. Work fast and stay focused.
The key to keep the freshness of the sketch.
The extra juice started to flow. Look above.

Thank you all! It really meant a lot to me!

Old 06 June 2004   #28

I worked a bit on the personality and attitude. It's mostly done, the wings are done; I'll leave thm like that 'cause I like them, maybe I'll smudge it a little, here and there, but I don't know... what was I saying about the details?...
Tell me if you think they spoil the image!

Old 06 June 2004   #29
Click the image to see it bigger. As Mark suggested, I added some orange warmy hues on the flesh. Forgot to say it there.

Old 06 June 2004   #30
Coloring WIP: Mercenarius's face

Here a face close shot. Click the image, or better not 'cause you might see some pixels..Bye! Thx again for your attention.

share thread