CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XV - Machineflesh Challenge 3D (Archive)
Login register
  share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-19-2004, 12:51 AM   #61
TheFirstAngel
moonstruck

portfolio
Sacha Angel Diener
concept artist/illustrator
Character Development & Digital Painter, FantasyFlight Games
Switzerland

Send a message via MSN to TheFirstAngel

I think, till you settle on an idea, it will be no problem to link up a few sketches as answers. Its just important you don't forget to fulfill ALL milestones.
SO if you go for one, make sute you submit the milestones trough the form.

Old 03-19-2004, 02:06 AM   #62
Iysun
Lord of the posts

portfolio
John I
Montreal, Canada

Sorry if this has been asked but i coudnt find any info on this.

Am i able to use a 2d concept that ive made prior to this contest? or does the concept sketch have to be new as well?

Old 03-19-2004, 03:34 AM   #63
vrf
. . . . . .
portfolio
Vance Fry
USA

Hi Leigh,

For the final JPG image, will the submission engine let us exceed 150kb? I got a little confused during the Alienware challenge and compressed my final JPG down to that size. Not that it was a wonderful image or anything, but the compression sure made it look worse.

Thank you.

Vance

Old 03-19-2004, 04:48 AM   #64
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

What if I want to submit more than one entry in the 2D category? They are very very different from each other, and I would like to submit both (if I can finish more than one on time).

Old 03-19-2004, 05:24 AM   #65
RedZep
Veteran
Joshua McKindle
Not Old Enough
USA

Lets say I make my concept sketch, then begin to model it, but decide not to do do the same model. Like completly change the whole thing. Can I go back and change the sketch or do I have to regestir agine and start over?

Thanks,
Joshua

Old 03-19-2004, 05:28 AM   #66
Kenter
Sent to the cornfield

Freelance concepts

Quote:
Originally posted by Leigh

So to answer your question... No, we can't make environments a plus in terms of judging. This would be unfair - not everyone has a machine that can render a complex environment along with a complex character. The focus of this particular challenge is character creation.
While an environment often certainly adds to the creation, we cannot penalise those who did not have the time/resources to create one.

People are absolutely free to decide whether or not to create an environment for their character but it will in no way influence the judges decisions.

I still think ladies and gentlemen that when guy A has a excellent character next to guy B's excellent character and guy A has a very nice scene that enhances his feel and characters reasons for his/her/it's looks that anyone will want the scene with great character.The BOXX and other judges will want the overall better picture in the end.And if an environment is included it will be a plus,has to be,even though the main criteria is a character.The environment can be an extension of what and who the character is.plus it will make for a much nicer poster/ad for the prize giving companies.Well either way good luck all.

Old 03-19-2004, 06:19 AM   #67
MCronin
Use Houdini
Mike Cronin
Keifer Sutherland's Hair Stylist
Elgin State Mental Health Facility
USA

Is the grand prize a dual Opteron or not? I ask because it says dual Opteron in the heading, but in the specs it says Dual capable, which suggests it's a smp board with a single processor.

Not that it makes a difference really... Love to win it.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:19 AM   #68
wasriyah
Frequenter
portfolio
Tiono wasriyah
media college 3dsmax modeling,animation & character studio
Bergen, Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to wasriyah
hi i have a question the rulez says i have to submit a sketch howe the design will be. but i have a problem i dont use sketch cause i dont have a scanner or a tablet. i make my stuff straight out of my head.....
now does that mean i cant join?
that would be bad

Old 03-19-2004, 11:25 AM   #69
Quizboy
Xin to the Xang!

portfolio
Darion D'Anjou
Internet Construction Worker
USA

I am very interested in the answer to Lunatique's question about entering more than one finished design.

My second question is a more in-depth explanation of not using "pre-made" models. I have read the FAQ and the question and answer thread here, but I am still unclear about how far is considered a "pre-made" model?

For specific example: Many people use a standard head mesh or body mesh which they then tweak to create a new head or body. They maintain existing UV layouts and only have to tweak the texture slightly in Photoshop to come out with a new character. Is "pre-made" model of your own including these type of standard meshes and/or body parts or whatever it may be that you then tweak and re-texture into the newly desired form?

I ask because it would seem strange to have to start modeling an entirely new head from nothing, when you've got a perfectly good head mesh topology which can be reshaped to the form you need for the new character - just the way you would do it for any other project.

Are the rules that strict to suggest that you absolutely must start with nothing for every single piece of the artwork?

Old 03-19-2004, 12:00 PM   #70
Freewave
Veteran
Mark Okon
Canada

Can trees be used as the subject matter?

Leigh, I posted a question earlier and I haven't recieved an answer. The question was...

I was wondering if it is possible to use a tree or plant as the subject matter that has mechanical modifications? The contest description says it doesn't have to be human and trees are not static objects and they are made up of organic tissue.

Thank you for your time.

Old 03-19-2004, 12:51 PM   #71
wasriyah
Frequenter
portfolio
Tiono wasriyah
media college 3dsmax modeling,animation & character studio
Bergen, Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to wasriyah
hi i have a question. i dont have a scanner or a tablet so i cant make a sketch does that mean i cant join

Old 03-19-2004, 12:57 PM   #72
cafe

Indeed.

I would be interested in an answer to the previous post.Does one have to model from complete scratch?

Old 03-19-2004, 01:08 PM   #73
Ed Caracappa
Lord of the posts
Ed Caracappa
Next Computing
Austin, USA

Mcronin,
The BOXX workstation will come with two Opteron 248 processors.
Ed
512-217-0461

Old 03-19-2004, 05:22 PM   #74
peksi
Frequenter
portfolio
Pekka KytŲlš
Finland

i fumbled with my challenge registration

I accidentally left "USA" selected as my country... Whom should I contact?

ps. I'm from Finland in case someone who can change it happens to read this post

Old 03-19-2004, 08:17 PM   #75
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Questions... questions... questions...

Quote:
Well, my question is ... im not used to make finished line-arts for personal work but base my work on a rough sketch and paint direct above this or even start with a colorblocking.
So i hope its fine if i just show enough steps of the way i do it?

Please produce exactly what milestones are requested. For the lineart you could simply submit the image that you have before you start colour blocking.

Quote:
Is there a difference between submitting a image entry with the formfield as opposed to just replying to your thread and linking to an image on your own hosting service?

Yes. Submitting the entries through the system allows the system to formally record which milestones you have actually submitted to our database. This makes it simpler at the end when we run a script to determine who has actually submitted sufficient milestones to qualify for judging.

Quote:
I was wondering, since we submit our images via the login for the challenge, should we post the regular way as replies to our thread we started for the challenge and if so, should we only post the Milestone. Like the final sketch idea. Iíve been posting my brainstorming ideas as I work out a theme or character I want to go with. But I havenít necessarily settled on a specific idea yet. Is this going to cause confusion if I post all these as I go before I settle on one idea to go forward with?

There is no problem with submitting multiple ideas for each milestone. The important thing is that you fullfill the milestone requirements.
As for general replies, if you need to reply to your thread but not necessarily with a new image, then go ahead and simply reply within the forum as per usual.
All milestones must be submitted via the CGNetworks site though - this is important (see above).

Quote:
Also, I started my thread correctly, through the challenge site, but then I posted my first few images as a reply, the same way I would any other post on CGTALK. Is this ok to post like this now or should I delete those and repost them through logging in through the challenge site?

If they are proper milestone images then please submit them through the CGNetworks site.

Quote:
Am i able to use a 2d concept that ive made prior to this contest? or does the concept sketch have to be new as well?

Please don't use anything created prior to the start of the challenge, whether they are sketches, models, scenes, etc. Of course ideas you thought up ages ago are fine but all actual creations must be new, please.

Quote:
For the final JPG image, will the submission engine let us exceed 150kb? I got a little confused during the Alienware challenge and compressed my final JPG down to that size. Not that it was a wonderful image or anything, but the compression sure made it look worse.

Hmm I don't actually know. We'll let everyone know sooner to the time.

Quote:
What if I want to submit more than one entry in the 2D category? They are very very different from each other, and I would like to submit both (if I can finish more than one on time).

Please only submit a maximum of one entry per catagory.

Quote:
Lets say I make my concept sketch, then begin to model it, but decide not to do do the same model. Like completly change the whole thing. Can I go back and change the sketch or do I have to regestir agine and start over?

Just keep posting them. If you have loads of different ideas along the way, then so be it.

Quote:
hi i have a question the rulez says i have to submit a sketch howe the design will be. but i have a problem i dont use sketch cause i dont have a scanner or a tablet. i make my stuff straight out of my head.....
now does that mean i cant join?

A concept sketch is a compulsory milestone. This is something that we unfortunately cannot overlook. Borrow a scanner from a friend or something!

Quote:
My second question is a more in-depth explanation of not using "pre-made" models. I have read the FAQ and the question and answer thread here, but I am still unclear about how far is considered a "pre-made" model?

Even a single polygon made before the challenge begun would be classified as a pre-made model.
As I have mentioned before, the way we have always run these challenges is that EVERYTHING is created entirely from scratch. Pre-made models go against the entire work-in-progress spirit of the challenge. So please start everything totally from scratch.

Sure lots of people use generic models that they then tweak, but it's not everyday that the models are being made in order to win a Boxx workstation. Using pre-made models gives certain challengers an unfair advantage.

Quote:
I was wondering if it is possible to use a tree or plant as the subject matter that has mechanical modifications? The contest description says it doesn't have to be human and trees are not static objects and they are made up of organic tissue.

Yes, a tree or plant still qualifies as an organic lifeform.

Quote:
I would be interested in an answer to the previous post.Does one have to model from complete scratch?

Yes.

share thread