Machineflesh Challenge Questions/Issues

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2004
hey Mods, maybe
make reading and "checking off" of all
entry rules mandatory
say like ...i read paragraph 1 section and i understand
checkmark!!
section 2-checkmark!
etc etc...............
i dunno might help!

03 March 2004
too late mate

When you`re viewing WIP you except to see some pro works ?
And you post : Awesome bla bla bla. But have you ever thought that some new young guy is working his ass off perfecting his skills as he can on his own.
And when he posts a WIP and asks some question you simply **** him. But he`s the one who really needs you...
Think about it When you`ll be viewing another thread like that...

03 March 2004
Quote: Originally posted by pearson
If you are referring to the Alienware challenge, then you are completly mistaken. They only had the nonexclusive right to use the images for their purposes. That means you still owned the rights to use your image, and could even sell the rights to others as well (as long as it wasn't exclusive, of course).

Thanks for clearing that up pearson and Leigh. So that is what nonexclusive means, I thought I knew english (!). Maybe I have to join then.

03 March 2004
hello

Hello everybody hope your all doing fine, havent browsed the site lately been very busy at work. i really love cgnetworks, it gives opportunities to everybody. old and young alike.

Just entered the machineflesh 2d challenge. Im really excited about it. Nice seeing all of you here again.

Hope to finish something this time.

03 March 2004
I feel a little silly bringing this up but I was wondering what is the appropriate response when there is a possiblilty of copied work. Obviously with a themed challenge with this number of entries some duplication of ideas is inevitable and that's fine (makes for a tougher challenge imo). However when two pieces of work in progress are submitted (by two different artists and one after the other) and are nearly identical what is the protocol.

I felt that with a wip type of structure this would be easier to avoid as artists can check other submissions before posting theirs to ensure that what they are doing is original. Perhaps that's a bit naive on my part.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
Leonardo da Vinci

03 March 2004
This might sound silly, but whats the difference between JPG and TIF? And how do I make them different? And what is lineart? Computer isn't my best thing... I've made a sketch, going to scan it as soon as possible, and colour it on computer. And how do I change the size on a file? Sorry my (extremely) stupid questions and my bad english...

03 March 2004
Fly3D - This has happened in previous challenges, and has always been worked out by the challengers themselves. For one thing it is easy to tell who posted the idea first, and they have claim to the idea. Plus, who wants to spend all that time making something that won't even be considered because it's a copy?

If it were a case where someone is purposefully trying to copy your work, then the mods would have to step in.

03 March 2004
More questions to answer...

Quote: If I wish to change my concept design, is it as simple as editing my post in my CGTalk thread? Or will I have to go to CGNetwork's submission page and do something there? Thank you in advance.

You'll have to resubmit the image. There is no limit to the number of images per milestone that you submit. If you absolutely want a particular image to be removed, then contact one of the admins.

Quote: Well, I tried to post to the threadthat I would take this challange... but it told me I had to submit to get permission or something to reply....something would be sent to my email... but that was last night and I've recieved no email....

You don't create a thread here to enter. You have to enter the competition on the CGNetworks site and follow the procedure there, which creates a thread here for you.

Quote: Still one thing can`t get in my head.
If I`ll model character (even good one) how will it make any use to sponsors on black/white background, and thought I model environment, nobody is going to "look" at it, right ?
That doesn`t sound good, I think...

I am sorry, I have absoutely no idea what you mean.

Quote: I feel a little silly bringing this up but I was wondering what is the appropriate response when there is a possiblilty of copied work. Obviously with a themed challenge with this number of entries some duplication of ideas is inevitable and that's fine (makes for a tougher challenge imo). However when two pieces of work in progress are submitted (by two different artists and one after the other) and are nearly identical what is the protocol.

Please contact me privately at leigh@cgnetworks.com

03 March 2004
Quote: Originally posted by Leigh
I am sorry, I have absoutely no idea what you mean.

Probobly I`ve to be sorry for not knowing ENG very well.
I just wanted to say that everybody should make environment or at least it will be counted as a + , when judges will put points.

And you post : Awesome bla bla bla. But have you ever thought that some new young guy is working his ass off perfecting his skills as he can on his own.
And when he posts a WIP and asks some question you simply **** him. But he`s the one who really needs you...

03 March 2004
Aahh thanks for clarifying No need to apologise for your English!

So to answer your question... No, we can't make environments a plus in terms of judging. This would be unfair - not everyone has a machine that can render a complex environment along with a complex character. The focus of this particular challenge is character creation.
While an environment often certainly adds to the creation, we cannot penalise those who did not have the time/resources to create one.

People are absolutely free to decide whether or not to create an environment for their character but it will in no way influence the judges decisions.

03 March 2004
Story Line

If I enter the 3d competition with a character based on a story, can my friend join the 2d competition with a completely different concept from my own, but based on the same story line?

03 March 2004
That`s great, because I don`t have a supa-dupa workstation .
You`re great !

03 March 2004
"Each challenger is required to submit images for the following milestones:

[...] Line Art - JPG (online) [...]

Any challenger that does not submit the above images by 18 June 2004, will not be considered for final judging."

Well, my question is ... im not used to make finished line-arts for personal work but base my work on a rough sketch and paint direct above this or even start with a colorblocking.
So i hope its fine if i just show enough steps of the way i do it?

03 March 2004
Is there a difference between submitting a image entry with the formfield as opposed to just replying to your thread and linking to an image on your own hosting service?

Thanks ahead for your response,
Mark Cansino | Line

03 March 2004
This question was partially answered a few posts ago but I still have a question. I was wondering, since we submit our images vie the login for the challenge, should we post the regular way as replies to our thread we started for the challenge and if so, should we only post the Milestone. Like the final sketch idea. Iíve been posting my brainstorming ideas as I work out a theme or character I want to go with. But I havenít necessarily settled on a specific idea yet. Is this going to cause confusion if I post all these as I go before I settle on one idea to go forward with?

Also, I started my thread correctly, through the challenge site, but then I posted my first few images as a reply, the same way I would any other post on CGTALK. Is this ok to post like this now or should I delete those and repost them through logging in through the challenge site?

Thx, hope I wasnít redundant, I tried to read all the posts, rules and FAQís before I posted.

share thread