CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XV - Machineflesh Challenge 3D (Archive)
Login register
  share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-01-2004, 05:10 PM   #1
ajitmenon
Frequenter
portfolio
Ajit Menon
New York City, USA

Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: Ajit Menon

Ajit Menon has entered the Machineflesh 3D Challenge.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
ajitmenon
Frequenter
portfolio
Ajit Menon
New York City, USA

Concept Sketch: a new dawn

Here is an initial sketch... I don't really know what I want to do. I do want to exude a 'sacrificial' feeling to the image, either literally or metaphorically.

Old 04-02-2004, 03:26 PM   #3
LXStalker
CEO Colorblind Inc.

Alex Broeckel
Freelance 3D Artist
Germany

Send a message via ICQ to LXStalker
hi ajit,

don't know why but that looks somehow not like handpainted... maybe because of the doubled parallel lines.. did you apply any filters ?

Old 04-02-2004, 03:59 PM   #4
ajitmenon
Frequenter
portfolio
Ajit Menon
New York City, USA

Hey Alex
I think I got carried away when I was cleaning up the rough sketch in Photoshop... it's a duplicate layer, one blurred a little and then multiplied on top of the first.
It just seemed to gve it more depthin some ways.
Am going to follow it up with a better, more detailed sketch soon.

Old 04-17-2004, 02:51 AM   #5
ajitmenon
Frequenter
portfolio
Ajit Menon
New York City, USA

Modeling: character

I've been really busy of late and haven't been able to update the milestones. Anyway, here's a modelling update.

Old 04-17-2004, 02:52 AM   #6
ajitmenon
Frequenter
portfolio
Ajit Menon
New York City, USA

Modeling: character

Here's a smoothened version of the face. I've purposely omitted ears. I will be slowly embedding more machine like features soon.

Old 04-17-2004, 02:54 AM   #7
ajitmenon
Frequenter
portfolio
Ajit Menon
New York City, USA

Modeling: Fallen Angel

Here's a shot of the full body- back and front. Right now, he doesn't have any hands- these will be replaced by wings. I found that the bone structure of bat wings and human hands is similar - I'm still working on how to attach the wings to the main character.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:35 AM   #8
TheFirstAngel
moonstruck

portfolio
Sacha Angel Diener
concept artist/illustrator
Character Development & Digital Painter, FantasyFlight Games
Switzerland

Send a message via MSN to TheFirstAngel

ajitmenon: Ok, I promised you to look at your work.
My eyes tell me you should take much care of every single detail, work better slow and precise with love on every click you do... Make sure if he is human, angelic or demonic. If he is Human, Refine the anatomy, use splines very targeted, and take care of the distances between the lines to avoid "oops"-bumps.
Sometimes it helps to detach segments and work them out separately. or just hide away what you are not working at.
If he is a fallen Angel, there's 2 ways he may appear: Angelic, so, cute in proportions, but as the word fallen says, with signs of a fall. Or, reborn, as a demon, and then, Id' give him more of the "morphic" feeling, create a clear mix, less human, more "whatever", maybe change the lower body, and his leggs. And make sure, machines fulfill a clear function and are a part of him. Be original. Think yourself crazy solutions. And if he is a "Bat-Man" mix him up, let him be a new sort of being!
Best luck, and keep it up.

Old 04-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #9
ajitmenon
Frequenter
portfolio
Ajit Menon
New York City, USA

Hey Sacha
Thx for the heads up and your critique.
I guess I'm definitely headed the 'demonic' way ....
I'm trying t base this still on the mythology of Azazel ... the fallen angel who taught man all ht eheavenly secrets ( hence technology) and for which he was punished to rot in a dark chamber of sharp, rocky objects.
He is sometimes described as a ragged bird-like creature, while in others he has several wings with a putrefying belly.
I don't think I want to go in this extreme direction. I'd more like to maintain a sort of painting like direction with equal emphasis on the environment with the Azazel character kinda like an actor on stage effusing emotion.
I know I'm being pretty vague and ambitious right now. I do want to remodel/ refine elements of the main torso. Updates will come...
Thx a bunch again... and I'd like to hear your comments as this progresses.
And by the way, love your modelling update on your page.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

share thread