Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: Touko Maksimainen

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2004   #16
Looks pretty amazing.

But I would add some jellyfish like intestines, so it looks more organic. And may be some more tentacles.

Looking forward to see more.

Old 03 March 2004   #17
Texturing: "SA-int Vetykirppu" 50% texturing progress

This is not only texturing progress. I decided to get rid of the eyes, some wiring and the the parts responsible for digesting food and generating electricity from it. This enabled me to streamline the thing quite a bit.
Some jellyfish-like intestines were added also. Please let me know what you think of the modifications.

My MachineFlesh Challenge entry

Old 03 March 2004   #18
Texturing: Shaping up

OK now I think I'm finally beginning to feel comfortable about its shape. It is streamlined enough and have several distinct properties of a jellyfish.

Now I'll also start to think about the composition of the final shot. It will definitelly have to be clear from it that this thing is a weapon. So far I haven't had any suitable ideas to make that happen.
What I do know is that it will feature a single medusa (a pack of them would simply be an overkill), sea as environment and probably the target (large military ship or something.)

Old 03 March 2004   #19
Talking

looks good!!! But for me, I think it's better to keep the eyes... I think it looks more interesting than without it. Just my opinion!!! By the way, I like details on the legs (Is that legs?) Keep go on cool working man... Good Luck

sorry for my english!!!

Old 03 March 2004   #20
hmmm, thats really strange.i like it. The tail? those curves just strait forward spirals?
palace is the place.
http://www.3d-palace.com/

Old 03 March 2004   #21
Smile

Interesting piece, this remind me of a quasi mechanical fish I created for a CG class I took. If I have time I'll dig it up and post...

Old 03 March 2004   #22
Texturing: further texture studies

Not much to say about this. Tried out different specular/glossiness settings for the translurent skin.

Any ideas?

Old 03 March 2004   #23
You said it's supposed to be a jellyfish, It doesn't look like one.

Old 03 March 2004   #24
yeah, you should add some more tentacles (organic ones), not a big ones, just some little tiny "worm like". and about that organic shader , it need some more color variaton. something like in this image

mechanical parts looks good so far and the design is nice.

you have still plenty of time adjust shader and think if there's something to improve, no rush at all

Old 03 March 2004   #25
Excellent points serial. I'll get right on it!
The mechanical side is complete apart from potential micro-detail additions.
I'll concentrate now on getting the skin shader just right (it lacks the diffuse channel altogether so I'll just do that first) and get those tentacles done.
That pic is really inspiring

Old 04 April 2004   #26
Concept Sketch: intestine - redux

People have been pointing out that it doesn't look jellyfish'ish enough so I'm going to re-design the inside alltogether.
I'll also consider removing the bomb and making the creature a modern carrier pigeon or some sort. This is because I haven't come up with a way to make the final composition so that it will be evident that the thing is a weapon.
Maybe I'll strap a bottled letter to its tail or something.

Old 04 April 2004   #27
this one looks much better than the last one!

Old 04 April 2004   #28
very nice idea...!
the medusa shape can be in future real underwater combat machine... because of its aggillity

Old 04 April 2004   #29
The concept is nice but the model is not readable enough. There's too much much visual elements. Try to focus on the design, refine it and after that build it piece by piece.

TIP : Switch to Black and White to see if your picture is readable.

Old 04 April 2004   #30
Modeling: status update

I hope this will be it for modeling. The next thing on my list is to paint diffuse maps and possibly some displacement maps too.

share thread