CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XV - Machineflesh Challenge 3D (Archive)
Login register
  share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-19-2004, 07:51 PM   #1
AkaKico
Life on the edge mode

portfolio
Chris Schmidt
C4d Tool/tutorial maker
GSG
Chicago, USA

Send a message via AIM to AkaKico
Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: James Schmidt

James Schmidt has entered the Machineflesh 3D Challenge.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:40 PM   #2
AkaKico
Life on the edge mode

portfolio
Chris Schmidt
C4d Tool/tutorial maker
GSG
Chicago, USA

Concept Sketch: Turtle Sketch

Initial creature consept sketch

Old 03-20-2004, 07:50 PM   #3
AkaKico
Life on the edge mode

portfolio
Chris Schmidt
C4d Tool/tutorial maker
GSG
Chicago, USA

Welcome to the wonderful world of BattleBeasts ™! The only sport in the know Universe that takes Wild Animals straight from their natural habitat, mechanically enhances them, then lets them fight it out TO THE DEATH! PayPerWatch on Friday, June 18! And for a limited time, WebCastMembers get a 15% discount!* (No animals were harmed during the live broadcast.)**

* Discount only applies to A0L Users
** May not be true

Old 03-20-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
AkaKico
Life on the edge mode

portfolio
Chris Schmidt
C4d Tool/tutorial maker
GSG
Chicago, USA

The back story. (sorry, I got carried away )

Okay… the year is 2082. Following the deadly and expensive fall of the cloning and Bio-Enhancement industries of the 70’s when the US Government launched Preemptive Strikes against Terrorist facilities along Syrian and Turkish boarders. Classified as a threat to well being of M.E.D.U.S.A. (Middle Eastern Dominion of the United States of America.) and to the world. Information was released to the public that made it clear that these terror groups were ‘experimenting with cloning’. Media led the way for worldwide fear of ‘the threat of a genetically engineered super army’. Even before Military action had finished in M.E.D.U.S.A. trouble began to brew in other countries. Commercially owned Bio-Research and Development Companies came under fire as protests and boycotts ravaged the already crippled stock markets. Even Renew™ a now-profit organization dedicated to the restoration of endangered and extinct species was caught in the crossfire and was burned to the ground in a riot under the slogan of ‘No man is God’. In less then 6 months most businesses related to the field of cloning or bio-enhancement had gone under. Two months later Congress passed a law that prohibited any non-government organization from working with the Human Genome. The rest of the world had the same restrictions soon after.

Years pass. Soon a new scientific fade appears on the horizon.

Mechanical Enhancement or Mecha-Engineering as the media popularized it. A few meaningful breakthroughs such as helping the paralyzed to walk again, and ‘robotic eyes’ that let the blind see. It made just a few major headlines before the Government stepped in. Remembering the riots 10 years past it was quick in making it against the law for any Human to receive ‘any mechanical enhancement that does more then replace damaged flesh’. In spite of heavy Governmental regulations the new industry did fairly well for itself, staying well within the law. Soon however, the fledgling companies found their real cash cow.

BattleBeasts™ aired on June 18, 2081. The premier live broadcast worldwide on the Animal Planet Network had the highest ratings of any two shows of the past combined. However, the graphic depiction of gore and violence of mechanically enhanced animals battling to the death on live TV had many repercussions. Animal Planet broke the record of the highest number of lawsuits against a single company within the week, less then two days later the Chair of the network was let go, and the show was immediately dropped. The series was banned from production with US boarders.

Despite this, the show was picked up by MTV and brought overseas. Less then a month after the first fight the battle waged again in a worldwide broadcast, with even higher ratings. In spite of the controversy, or maybe because of it, the show continues to be the most popular in history. A 10 second advertisement spot during commercial break costs over 50 Million Dollars. Not only that, now that show is entering its second season, counties are trying to outbid each other to let MTV host a tournament within their boarders.

Whether you love the show or despise it, season two is on the way.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my ideas. I feel intimidated by a lot of the other entries. I'll have to start posting my admiration for a lot people soon.
There should be a bit more on this character soon.

Last edited by Kico21 : 03-21-2004 at 06:36 AM.

Old 03-21-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
Shouit
Veteran

Tonio Freitag
student
Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Shouit
wow - cool concept. i love turtles. i have one myself. i'm not sure if it would like to be mechanical enhanced to finally beat the cat that loves to put the turtle on its back from time to time.

looking forward to see your progress. keep it going.

visit my little website...

Old 03-21-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
CLONEOPS
NaCl'y sack of H2o

portfolio
Chris Pearase
Imagineer
Theoretical Liquids
Vancouver, Canada

ahhh! ow! ow! ow! ahhhh!

well if little turtly guy lets off a shot he is going to blow off his own liittle turtly head...point that thing somewhere else.
and where is that ammo feed/wire coming from???
hahahaha!
cheers bud.

Old 03-24-2004, 02:21 AM   #7
AkaKico
Life on the edge mode

portfolio
Chris Schmidt
C4d Tool/tutorial maker
GSG
Chicago, USA

Hmm, I know my sketch is pretty rough, gonna try and get a better one up soon. I started modeling the gun, actually it's two guns, one on either side. Wouldn't want him blasting his own head now would we?

Railgun

Old 03-24-2004, 08:12 AM   #8
Shouit
Veteran

Tonio Freitag
student
Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Shouit
awsome design kico! now you really made me curious what the turtle will look like in the end. great modelling. a lot of details right from the start.
might i ask what software you are using?

keep it going!

my machineflesh entry

my website

Old 03-25-2004, 08:09 PM   #9
AkaKico
Life on the edge mode

portfolio
Chris Schmidt
C4d Tool/tutorial maker
GSG
Chicago, USA

Bit'o'work done on the Railgun. How's she doing so far? I think after I finish the gun up I'll rework the turtlepic.

Thanks in advance for C&C.

Ps. Oh yeah, I run with the Cinema 4D crowd

Old 03-25-2004, 09:49 PM   #10
briancole
hey man

portfolio
Brian Cole
Partner/3d Artist
Green Grass Studios
Dallas, USA

The railgun's looking sweet! - very curious to see how it looks in context with the turtle - any thoughts on how it will be attached to the shell?

Old 03-26-2004, 05:03 AM   #11
iastudio
anek selanon
compositor
Thailand

Wink

nice railgun. i think that you will have to make a bigger turtle's body. it will make your turtle balance and lookmore powerful.

so cool. Keep going

sorry for my english

Old 03-31-2004, 11:45 PM   #12
romeu
i am

portfolio
Romeu Pinto
3d
Um Segundo Filmes
Matosinhos, Portugal

wow...

your doing some serious details here... can´t wait to see the rest of it

keep it up

Old 04-07-2004, 06:30 AM   #13
InTheCity
Lord of the posts

USA

Send a message via MSN to InTheCity
just checking in with the other Cinema 4Ders, nice looking work so far, you're going all out with the modelling here.

I'll keep checking back and all the best.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

share thread