Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: James Kaufeldt

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2004
Cool concept and much of work!
Best luck man!

Looking forward for the first sketches!

03 March 2004
Rev: Yeah, wires... Hang on a sec...

flyingP: He had sewewal wabbits in his family. Weally a lot, stawting with his gweat-gweat gwandfather, Wichard Weed.

mikepol: Thank you. Concepts coming soon... Have to make a trip today to my local store to get some new paper and a few pencils.

- - - - - - - - -

MEANWHILE - I've been hunting around for refs on the trusty google image search and found some neat stuff.

My search brought things to a slightly different twist - it turns out that there's some people out there collecting photos of old machinery, a bit like trainspotting I guess, but they spot really old equipment of different kinds and take pictures of it... Fancy that.

Anyway, there was a lot of potentially cool stuff available on such sites, so I've decided to go retro-futuristic on this, and fit my mining workers with really old hardware instead of high-tech gear. This obviously increases the risk of all sorts of gory infections, so I'm sure it will prove to be a good way to go about it

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

03 March 2004
Man i love the concept already even though i haven't seen any sketch....ill be checking this threat that's for sure....

03 March 2004
Agilers: Thanks... I've got my new sketchbook and a set of fresh pens now - will start drawing later tonight.

- - - - - -

MEANWHILE IN THE BAT CAVE::..

I've continued to hunt for refs, and I just found some absolutely lovely photos over at some place called lostlabour.com - I simply have to share two of these here:

xenomata

03 March 2004
Dirtyyyy!!!!

03 March 2004
sounds like big plan.... haha, we all be watching u. Gweetz to ur wabbit hahaha!

03 March 2004
Cheers dudes... I'm just trying to surround myself with some imagery to get into the intended mood. Working on some sketches now, but nothing postworthy yet.

The idea is settling around sort of a darkish suffering working-class-hero noir look, that's why I liked the photos above so much.

xenomata

03 March 2004
"Very" nice mood in that first picture IMO.

03 March 2004
steampunk! :D

You may have some luck by searching for pictures of the style 'steampunk'. It's a blend of 1800's worker aesthetic with modern cyber type fashion. (I'm totally not describing it correctly, but your concept just sounds so quintessentially steampunk!)
Good luck with your project.

Megan

03 March 2004
cool story - stuff for a great entry - good luck

03 March 2004
flyingPiggie: Oh yeah... I almost went blind when I saw it the first time. I wonder if one should try to emulate those lightbleed artifacts probably caused by the chemical film development process somehow... I really like that look.

ghostgirl: I bet you're correct. Then I've finally got someone to define that for me But I think I will avoid searching for it - I don't want to spoil my roll-out here...

swag: Nice to see you here! Glad you like the idea so far.

EDIT: OK, so I googled it anyway It pretty much conforms to what I usually think of as retro-futurism or low tech - the use of old technology in new contexts and so on and so forth yada yada yada... Brazil is one of my favourite movies, see?

xenomata

Last edited by JamesMK : 03 March 2004 at 10:39 PM.

03 March 2004
I can see it now. Very cool concept, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

03 March 2004
Concept Sketch: First Concept

Just a first character sketch. Not entirely sure about the legs yet, and everything is still kind of undefined.

Oh, and apologies for my inferior drawing skills as usual...

xenomata

03 March 2004
JamesMK...........Nice storyline/background.The current sketch depicts your ideas quite well.From what I gather you are in a somewhat "Steampunkish" mode of thought as ghostgirl mentioned.I quess with time the exact style or blends of style will come out in the forefront........I will be on the lookout for your progress,and look forward to some fun and some good work from you.Take care,see you soon.

03 March 2004
Ahem...

"GROIN ADAPTER"???

Well... Safety, first, I s'pose... can't be too careful, i possibly high-pressure situations...

In any case, look forward to seeing your progress!
He who knows he doesn't know is a
child; teach him.
He who doesn't know he knows is
asleep; Wake him.
He who knows he knows is wise;
follow him.

share thread