Speed modeling sessions - post your topic suggestions !

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2007   #31
I thought of a few tricky ones that will test you guys and girls:

sphere
cube
pyramid
ooh, ooh and one of those dang dounut shaped things, ohh what do you call it???

Old 01 January 2007   #32
Ya know...

I am not sure wether you are trying to be funny, or whether you're just being a smart ass. Instead of making fun of people, why don't you offer some real advice Mr.Veteran?

Old 01 January 2007   #33
smart ass

I agree, is that an acute comment? a smart ass (not so smart actually) comment?

Old 01 January 2007   #34
I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Crumlin Viaduct (maybe not exactly speedy). For photographic references see:

http://www.crumlinviaduct.co.uk/photo.htm

I attempted to construct this - using an electricity pylon as a base for the piers but didn't get very far.

2. The Tron tank (the lightcycles have been done to death), designed by Syd Mead

I have also done one of these but unfortunately I do not have a picture of one available on the web.

Old 01 January 2007   #35
that viaduct thing looks pretty interesting. thank you for the suggestion.

Old 05 May 2007   #36
I really like speed modeling forums, and believe them to be a valuable learning resource...

Perhaps the creation of group object threads... like kitchenware, houseware, hand tools, power tools, art supplies, sporting goods, electronics, yard goods, transportation etc... and leave the threads open so that all can just come in, view some cool stuff, then go off and model something for others to do same, view and model... yada yada..

Old 11 November 2007   #37
Speed Modeling

How about re-creating old horror movie posters, like Scanners, Escape from New york, Zombie and so on. Modeled just like they were illustrated in a timely manner.

Old 11 November 2007   #38
Grafitti/ stenceling

Getting somko graffitti and or stenceling as a staring point?

Old 03 March 2008   #39
- a deadly snake

- an ancient instrument

- design a lightsaber

Old 07 July 2008   #40
Modeling semi-detailed buildings.

Buildings are something that's kind of needing alot of details in them, What would everyone here suggest I do for modeling buildings? They don't need to be Low poly but I definitley don't need to model high Poly's either. Just any thoughts? Any online tutorials either?

Anthony J. Thomas

Old 07 July 2008   #41
not sure if anyone has mentioned any of these ones:

- A steam train from the 1930's era (Or Freight train)
- A Game console or Just a games Console Controller
- Musical Instruments
- Spy Gadgets
- A specific landmark (Eiffel Tower/Sphinx/London Eye/Big Ben/The White house etc etc)

hope those seem like relatively decent topics.

Old 08 August 2008   #42
Hi all new to the forum, finally decided to sign up to the site.

Right for speed modelling here's something I threw together. The lighter and can took half hour each and altogether in the scene took 2 hours to model and texture. The basis of this scene is really just to play with various materials such as steel, glass and plastic.

The modelling is in edit mesh (i prefer it to poly)
I will try and upload a jpeg with wireframe when I get back home in couple days.

OOPPPS! just noticed this should have been on the generic speed modelling thread.

Last edited by smith3drender : 08 August 2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Old 11 November 2008   #43
What happened to this thread?? is it still going or who we have to convince to get something like the Sketch of the day, I know lots of people want to do something like that, including myself.

It would be cool to have topics and timing, maybe 1 or 2 per week, a bit more organized.

Any moderator willing to step up and take this ideas to live?

Old 12 December 2008   #44
It does seem as though the speed modeling threads have slowed down. Shame really. I could really use some speed modeling to build some motivation to participate in the mini challenges and such.

Anybody willing to revive the speed modeling threads?

Old 12 December 2008   #45
I hope no one has any objections to this, but I'm setting up a thread to get a vote of interest from people who think they would participate in weekly speed modeling challenges just to see how many there are of us wanting to do.

I'm nobody really, at least not a moderator or anyone high up the food chain but I figure we might as well start the ball rolling and perhaps a moderator might see that it will be worth while to look after, I guess we just have to prove that first.

Anyway I am really keen to see a weekly speed modeling session so lets see what happens.

reply share thread