Speed modeling sessions - post your topic suggestions !

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2006   #16
Why not having a couple of speed modeling sessions to create a scene in the end? Like making a stage for a band. First the instruments giving some time to model 4 or more instruments. Then the stage and as this forum realy impresses me everytime i vissit it's probably no problem to model some rockstars or some also. And in the end everyone posts his scene.

You can do all kinda scenes like modern/classic interiors. Or exteriors like an airforce base or maybe even end up with a galactic battle scene with fighter craft, rockets flying, big space stations and meteors.

Each model should have it's own timelimit based on the difficulty.

I think this would be realy fun, you can end up with a great looking scene without to many modeling hours. Only thing is.... it won't be modeling alone anymore. If you need more ideas.... i got lots.

greets

Old 04 April 2006   #17
Its soooo much harder to create someone beautiful vs. something ugly like a monster.

I really have respect for those of you that can create something beautiful in the same time that it takes others to just make monsters.

Just my one half cent = Beautiful people done in CG ( Models , actors ... your girlfriend )

Old 05 May 2006   #18
Is this thing still going or is it closed completely? I just saw it and though how fun that would be! Sorry that I'm too late... or "if" I'm too late?!?

If not, let me know...sounds like fun!

Old 05 May 2006   #19
Computer would be a cool idea (just the case.. cool case mods etc.)
Monitor's would be fun

Old 05 May 2006   #20
Suggested topic: telephones

telephones have come in so many different shapes over the years and in different countries. Remember the donut phone from the 60's? Quick, low poly, but yet attention to detail.

Old 05 May 2006   #21
Household kitchen items like:

pan
kettle
mixer
microwave oven
"moulinex"
fridge

Fruits
fruit peels
potatoes
onion
meat

Old 06 June 2006   #22
I think this forum is going along the lines of the daily sketch group.

Lets take some cues from an older wiser forum section.

Someone will have to be in charge of posting a new topic every day.

I dont know if making this really structural would be a good idea such as today we make a pencil.....

But then again this cant exactly be as loose as the daily sketch group because well for more global topics things we would have to construct whole scenes.

I think a ballance of both would be good.

Toppics like model an actor or celebrity (I think someone mentioned this allready) but not narrowed down to any specific one.

Or toppics like the mixture of creatures(the current one).

Also make challenges for weapons and machines
Those can be split into lots of fairly vague categories

Swords, guns, futuristic weapons, armor (also futuristic primitive modern or something completely bizarre.

Portraits of people we know (everyone has some of those)

Just some ideas.

As for taking cues from the older forums.

Maybe tally the votes for the best model and have a model of the week type of thing.

Anatomy studdies would be nice to but I think that wouldnt be very productive in this forum as they may require more time to get what you need out of them.

Basicaly the people who know anatomy would be able to dish things out in less then an hour but people completely unfamiliar with it would spend many hours struggling.

But hey I could be wrong.
All I know is that this forum is going to be great for the modeling comunity.

Ive been waiting a long time for something like this.

Low comitment, flexible time, good practice.

Lets help this forum grow.

Old 07 July 2006   #23
Thumbs up

Hi guys

I too am really interested on this. How about KingMob takes the same role as RobertoOrtiz over at daily sketch forum, we post suggestions and kingmob picks one, and we have something to speed model. Then there's weekly vote on the topics that took place on the week before. I reckon people will participate as they do in DSF.
Some of the rules adapted from DSF, hope it isnt Trademarked

---------------
  • You have NO TIME LIMIT to do your models. IF you go beyond the assigned time limit , you have to post WHATEVER you have done after the time has expired.
  • Post only your FINAL piece on this thread, based on the topic on the thread.
  • Only final pieces can be posted on the thread. They must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
  • RESOLUTION : The images can have any aspect ratio up to 800 x 600
  • They can be done on any 3D application.
  • Your models don't have to be placed in a scene or textured.
  • If you wish, you can add a brief text description about your piece.
  • You can post an entry at anytime for the topic presented on this thead BEFORE the voting thread for THE WEEK has been posted.
  • The artist also has to post total length of time, polycount, texture plates (if used) and program used.
  • Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
  • The topics will be picked at random from the list on the TOPICS thread >>LINK<<
    (The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
good luck

---------------

Most of my ideas has been taken, my main interest is to see this undergo.

hope I'm not sounding too cocky

Old 07 July 2006   #24
Originally Posted by madmenno: Why not having a couple of speed modeling sessions to create a scene in the end?

Each model should have it's own timelimit based on the difficulty.

greets

I really like this idea, I think it's a lot of fun, a seperate part, with an end result, all timed, we could even do whole scenes, like basic enviorment- the background, character modeling-
and then maybe one more speed session to take the two things and bring them togeather in one nice, just need materials and lighting setup.

^^ but just making random models is good for me too. I have a lot of fun doing that.

other suggestions-
creatures from the deep
creatures from a higher plane
dinosaurs/dragons
mythology (any, could specify egyptian or greek)
inanimate objects made animate
plants or plant creatures

Old 08 August 2006   #25
I really like the idea of having a specific topic to help focus energy and creativity for speed modeling sessions. I think a DSG/UGAC-like structure with one topic per week (mentioned in the forum's sticky), is a good idea, with one member in charge of maintaining the challenge threads and a couple of other members able to fill in if neccessary.

I'd be happy to step into the role of topic selection, maintenance, etc., but there are many on this forum far more experienced than I in the area of modeling, so I would defer to them.

Also, keeping the original speed modeling thread alive is a good idea, for anyone who just wants to model without worrying about specific tasks and time limits.

Rough Ideas: (initial challenge parameters)

- Weekly topic thread, with subject, time limit and challenge period.
- Optional polygon count limit. (though this may encroach on UGAC a bit, most UGACs have a one-month time limit)
- Subjects can be vague or specific, and time limit should reflect the complexity of a specific subject, or help define the parameters of a more vague one.
- Separate "submission" thread for each week's challenge.
- Final post to the submission thread should show progress made up to the end of the time limit. However, continuation of modeling and texturing can be shown in the model's WIP thread, up to the end of the one-week period. (of course, the modeler is more than welcome to start a WIP thread in the 3D WIP forum as well)
- A separate "topics" thread for suggestions for upcoming topics
- Optional "Speed Models of the Week" judged arbitrarily at the end of the one-week period, and posted in either the submissions thread or the topic thread.

Eventual Possibilities: (once things get rolling)

- One-a-day mini speed modeling challenges, very simple, with very short time limits
- Addition of separate optional speed texturing component, with its own time limit

Hope this makes sense... mv actually mentions the weekly format in the forum's sticky, the above just expands on the concept a bit.

-= Imagus =-

Last edited by Imagus : 08 August 2006 at 02:18 PM.

Old 11 November 2006   #26
Are we aloud to use ref? or its off a memory type of speed modeling?

My suggestion is:

kids toys as a topic

is some one can clearifiy i'll let my modeling renders loose.
Sweet

cio Jay

Old 11 November 2006   #27
There's life returning to this thread? HAH! Or did I simply miss something in the meantime?

Anyway, yeah...I can't wait to have time again to do some quick models!

Zbrushing ok, too?

Anyway, would be fun to bring this back to life, OR, if it has been alive all along, I'd love to join in!

Old 11 November 2006   #28
New life would be sweet.

Old 11 November 2006   #29
Cool Modeling- "Medical Miss Findings/Gireresque"

Hi, just a propusal, but it could be interesting to perform a quick model based on medical scientific aberrations, and combinations of misfortune, etc in a Gigeresque way (based on the swiss artist http://www.hrgiger.com/frame.htm)
It could be interesting to see what we came up with, eventually swap models and see what comes out?
Cheers
M.

Old 12 December 2006   #30
Hi,

So is the moderator following this thread... or is anyone? I think it would be really good getting some weekly speed challenges going, something along the line of Roberto's weekly sketch setup... perhaps one topic a week and a vote at the end of each week... i don't know but at least get something going.

Looking forward to a weekly challenge

ZaneV

reply share thread