The Piano, Barbara Witkowska (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2011   #61
Wow. I've been lurking here for years and I just had to post to say that you're a freaking master. I almost got teary-eyed looking at this piece of work. Nothing has ever done that to me. Amazing. Thanks.

Old 08 August 2011   #62
Thanks, Elizabeth for such a warm comment. What piece of with music did I put on the piano? Of course Beethoven's 'For Elise'

You asked for some breakdowns.

I based on reference photo quite precisely but to make the frame more interesting, I decided to add few details like row of chairs in the foreground and the piano with music sheet at the corner of the hall (thanks for advice, mates from Evermotion!).

Below you can see examples of models used in scene: I exported most of ornaments on walls and ceiling to vrayproxy and made instances. I also segregated them into separate layers to keep order and make viewport react quicker. As I mentioned in my previous post, some models were prepared in ZBrush.

Most of shaders are quite simple, I used almost only standard VRayMats with diffuse, reflection and bump/normal maps. The biggest challenge here were chandeliers' crystals and parquet - I wanted it to look noteworthy and with no visible texture seems.

The lighting is even more simple: as the main light I used VRaySun with custom sky map. Additional lights are arranged around chandeliers and one more behind af half-open door.

The scene was rendered in VRay, in Gamma 2.2. The best fun was post-production, when I added chandeliers' bulbs and some bloom and color correction.

Jerusha, michaelawesome - thank you very much I'm really happy you like it!

Old 08 August 2011   #63
thats amazing. what are you working on next?

Old 08 August 2011   #64
oh my lord, lady!! ! you are my freaking hero. Do you have facebook?

Old 09 September 2011   #65
detail is amazing!very nice.

Old 10 October 2011   #66
a luxury hall, nice rendering, like it.

Old 11 November 2011   #67
wow ~ incredible detail!!

Solomon W. Jagwe
Soreel GraFX
http://www.sowl.com

Old 11 November 2011   #68
Amazing work..

So much to see so many detail.. Very well done

Old 12 December 2011   #69
Amazing!! wow!

Old 02 February 2012   #70
wow, amazing works, nice detal...and simple scene

Old 04 April 2012   #71
I don't like at all the "main character" which is the Piano. The reflection should be dark, as we see in this picture:

As seen, the black painted wood gives very dark reflections. Also use the Fresnel options of your engine. Because different angles does not reflect in the same way.
As for the scenario does not know which picture I like better, the real or CG: It's great.
Cheer.

Old 04 April 2012   #72
Thank you all for your comments. I don't use facebook, kronique

hi gyptiaedes
I'm really glad you like the scenery of my work. As to the piano I can't agree with you. There are many ways of finishing it. It can has bright polish, or be matt. Also its glossiness depends on lightning. Take a look at examples below, please:

I've chosen the glossy one, cause I thing it suits such rich and ornamental interior better. Of course I did used fresnel reflection with quite high IOR value: 2.
Hope my answer was exhaustive. Anyway, thanks for your comment

Cheers!

Old 04 April 2012   #73
In my view, be considered "professional photos" is not the best to get a good realism. Do not forget that the company StockFresh take pictures and edit, something very common in publicity photos, for example in this picture you can see an increase of exposure and brightness added digitally. Be very discrete about has to be dark or light in a changed image to be real and convincing.
As this image of the same company, you do not know if a photo or created with Realflow with a rendering engine, no doubt the image was retouched (can be digital retouching or just ambient lighting usually false) so it is difficult or impossible to know whether real or CG.

Anyway, the "error" is in any render engine, let it be unbiased or biased. I took the time to ask without having an "eye-CG" also said it is not real, very fake piano.

What I say is just to comment on an advanced level to which you have, maybe I'm wrong but I'm just saying what I said to my eye.
greetings and congratulations on being in the gallery, however my only criticism is to go beyond.

Old 06 June 2012   #74
I was curious what is the score that you have added to the piano?

Old 06 June 2012   #75
Hi jCastile, I have to admit that I haven't paid much atenttion to the score and I simply don't remember now.. So let it be whatever you think of when look at the image

Thread Closed share thread