Uncharted 2 Character Art, Hanno Hagedorn (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2011
Allright, back from GDC, time to answer your questions.
...and first of all big thx again to everyone for all the nice comments!

JuGGerNauTT:
For the stitches I took some time and created a multitude of tileable alphas of stitches and seams. They are basically resembling little displacement maps. Similar to this one here, which comes with Zbrush:

Then I used the Stitch3(z3.1 )/Stich1(z4.0) brush and lazy-mouse to “walk” them over the models surface.

For the cloth structure details I initially displaced the structure in Zbrush to get all the details into the sculpt. But even when decimated those meshes were ways to much for Maya. So I was forced to use bumpmaps for the renders. But to be honest, the difference between displacing the geo in Zbrush and adding those details later in the normalmap is negligible. Once it’s ingame, you won’t be able to make out the difference. The cloth structure was initially created and layed out in Photoshop and imported to Zbrush as a displacement map.

TraceR: haha dude, thats kindly said, but please.. never stop!

Judd: You crazy south-african! thx man

...and yea, we we are working on part 3. Its called "Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception" this time and is scheduled for 1st of November 2011 as it stands so far.

03 March 2011
Effin' wicked, beautiful renders and great anatomy. Well done!

brankO

03 March 2011
You know, I've been modeling on and off as a hobby for about 8 years now, and while I'm definitely not a terribly skilled artist, and therefore have difficulty executing certain techniques, I at least have a pretty good knowledge of what those techniques are, and how one goes about creating certain details, shapes, etcetera. I have seen pretty much all of the art in the choice-galleries from the various communities I frequent, and currently I can't remember any of them making me stop and think "How in the hell did they do that...?". Which isn't to say I know everything about modeling, but I've never been so overwhelmed that I didn't even know how you would even begin a certain project.

You good sir, have completely baffled me as to how you could get so much detail onto those models. They are -no doubt in my mind- the best models I've seen to date. Not to mention the posing and render/lighting setup are absolutely top-notch.

So uh... yeah... keep up the good work?

03 March 2011
Very good work, your details are awesome, there is a lot fealing of gravity, the sculpting is fantastic and i never sow so good way to show the artwork
only one thing to make it more realistic, the gun effectively must have a little botton instead the little belt, because must be still but when one soldier have to get out it, must be faster than possible so every weapon bag are with bottons that open with a little pull

www.heavybrush.com

03 March 2011
Thumbs up

Power-pack..... simply gr8 stuff.... very heavy detailed and precise work... thanx 4 sharing it.

.........road to my blog

03 March 2011
Thumbs up

Simply amazing!

Fantastic work.

Portfolio

03 March 2011
Thumbs up

Amazing work!
Why are Chloe and Elena without their heads?
Once again,incredible work.

03 March 2011
Thumbs up Very very cool! I love all!

Is mentalray render it?

03 March 2011
amazing sculpts man... amazing

03 March 2011
Oh wow I really like how the burns are handled! Solid work
MY FACEBOOK ART PAGE!
MY DEV-ART PROFILE!
MY CG HUB PROFILE!

03 March 2011
Thanks for the insight Hanno, much appreciated

Keep up the great work!

03 March 2011
Very Nice work .Few things though .She got a very very sexy but and the guys gun on his back the stock looks a bit to sharp .Overall I love em
Demo Reel -https://vimeo.com/user42304717/videos

03 March 2011
Great work Hanno!
Thanks for sharing, the info on the stitches,
Can't wait for Uncharted 3

03 March 2011
I'm in love with the treatment of these models and your attention to detail.
I found it odd you left the shotgun lo_res when everything else is so richly detailed, was that intentional?

03 March 2011
Superb models! Keep up the good work on Uncharted III.

Thread Closed share thread