Jeanne D'arc , Sheng Yuan (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09 September 2010   #61
很棒的作品,我好喜欢
__________________
我的火星博客:http://edgeart.hxsdblog.com 欢迎去踩!
 
Old 09 September 2010   #62
It's a fantastic piece. It has a beautiful color pallete, with very "delicated and feminine tones". She has a very calm semblant and a fasion outfit!
__________________
Helheimen Design
 
Old 09 September 2010   #63
i know it congrats nice work dude
 
Old 09 September 2010   #64
There is almost no historical value to this piece. It's a beautiful pic but all that fancy-schmancy fantasy look is a complete manga nonsense.
If any female warrior opted to have her breasts covered by armor but her belly, arms, head and neck exposed I'd say they deserve to die anyway to preserve average human IQ standard. (and don't tell me the belly has armor on but covered with clothes because that's another nonsense, if a warrior wants to die from self-injuries, wearing armor close to skin without another layer is the best way) The pommel of the sword would only be made by a blacksmith intent on the destruction of his own people. No warrior would hold it properly as this looks like a one-and-half hand sword, sometimes referred to as "bastard". The guard is too short and malformed. Don't get me started on that schwabach blade nonsense. Did I mention armored high heels ?
Really why call this fantasy lady Jean D'Arc ??? Most people are in doubt about her physical beauty and so am I. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful picture, no doubt. But what ruins it for me is this apparent asian manga-approach to displaying European history. And I'd probably stay silent, but there are so many of these floating around these days I couldn't keep my mouth shut this time.
Freakin' stop killing history and remove that name, call her Stormwind or Shulakha or Bloodhen or something.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #65
Do they know that Jeanne d'Arc was condemned to death by fire? I'm with you, I suggest to change title, and it remains an outstanding piece.
__________________
Jester

Latest thread:


Fauna

Vampyre Portrait

Girl in Hood


Vampyre Hunter I
 
Old 09 September 2010   #66
hello, friends,thanks for critics and comment.
all critics are welcome.

i agree the character doesn't represent the historical person.
I never thought I can dishonored or distort other people's history.
the concept design reference is from a psp game cover with the same name.
http://jogaste.com.br/web/caixa/jeanne-darc-psp.jpg
i'm inspired to make it into 3d,and that's the reason why the title is jeanne d'arc, though i changed it a little .


en~ i can understand your feeling, but i never want to distort a respected historical figure.
so i'm sorry for it make a bother and annoy you a lot.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #67
very nice job,I like you art work!

Great!
 
Old 09 September 2010   #68
Originally Posted by davek1979: But what ruins it for me is this apparent asian manga-approach to displaying European history. And I'd probably stay silent, but there are so many of these floating around these days I couldn't keep my mouth shut this time.
Freakin' stop killing history and remove that name, call her Stormwind or Shulakha or Bloodhen or something.



Quote: Before posting, please review the following:
Be courteous and polite. Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right.
Engage your brain before your mouth. You are responsible for your own words and any harm they may cause.
Don't dilute the forums with irrelevant and unnecessary fluff. CGTalk is a professional, moderated forum. It's a place to talk about all things related to computer graphics.



I suggest you form your comments with caution. Because what you said was neither wise nor respectful.

If you have a problem with 'asian manga-apporach to display European history', I suggest you speak to the art director of the game.

If you have a problem with people 'kiling history', I suggest you speak to the creative director and producer of the game.

The artist of this work had done nothing except offering a fan art. And a great one. Period.

And that 'call her Stormwind or Shulakha or Bloodhen or something' ??? European History, Asian-manga style, Indian name??? Don't get me started.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #69
Originally Posted by JackZhang: I suggest you form your comments with caution. Because what you said was neither wise nor respectful.

If you have a problem with 'asian manga-apporach to display European history', I suggest you speak to the art director of the game.

If you have a problem with people 'kiling history', I suggest you speak to the creative director and producer of the game.

The artist of this work had done nothing except offering a fan art. And a great one. Period.

And that 'call her Stormwind or Shulakha or Bloodhen or something' ??? European History, Asian-manga style, Indian name??? Don't get me started.


Hey Zhang, good point!
Why there are always sb. who can not just sit down and accept to see beautiful artworks?
 
Old 09 September 2010   #70
Originally Posted by JackZhang: I suggest you form your comments with caution. Because what you said was neither wise nor respectful.

If you have a problem with 'asian manga-apporach to display European history', I suggest you speak to the art director of the game.

If you have a problem with people 'kiling history', I suggest you speak to the creative director and producer of the game.

The artist of this work had done nothing except offering a fan art. And a great one. Period.

And that 'call her Stormwind or Shulakha or Bloodhen or something' ??? European History, Asian-manga style, Indian name??? Don't get me started.


I suggest you quote forum rules in appropriate situations. I was actually quite respectful to the artist, praising him for a nice image.

I don't care what connection you personally have to this. I won't speak to art or creative director, mainly because... they haven't created this picture... , I know it might be a small detail in your eyes but hey... I provided a criticism of the historical validity of the displayed subject. You know, as an artist, you might get away with a lot of stuff, but if you were to create a picture of George Washington and produced an image of an African tribe leader with a bone in his hair, I doubt people would be very happy to approve that.
I didn't know the original design was not of author's making. My criticism therefore bypasses the author, who did very well as a modeler and texturer (for the quality of the image itself I did praise him, noticed now ?) and goes to whoever conceived this abomination of a well-known historical figure.
Design of this lady bears all resemblance to trends in specifically asian artistic approach, i.e. breast armor (/facepalm!) with vital (understand more arousing) parts of the body unprotected, one-shoulder armor, historically inaccurate and malformed cold weapons.
The names I suggested might have a wide cultural span, matching the wide cultural span of the subject itself.
As people we might have different preferences, I personally like when displayed subject matches the description and in this case I disagree with this interpretation of a known historical figure. It is my rightful opinion and you are welcome to disagree.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #71
Why so serious? Who cares whether the armor and sword don't make any sense or not? This is just a female warrior modeling. Like the OP mentioned, he just made this from 2d game art.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #72
Originally Posted by davek1979: I suggest you quote forum rules in appropriate situations....


Oh mate, not sure your suggestion has any values because I believe I quoted forum rules in a pretty damn appropriate situation. Let's see some of the rules and some of your comments:

The rule:
Quote: Be courteous and polite.

you said:
Originally Posted by davek1979: It's a beautiful pic but all that fancy-schmancy fantasy look is a complete manga nonsense.

Originally Posted by davek1979: Freakin' stop killing history and remove that name, call her Stormwind or Shulakha or Bloodhen or something


Don't tell me you were being polite because you said 'It's a beautiful pic'. Nearly the entire speech of yours was about nonsense. This is nonsense, that is nonsense, the design is nonsense, Asian-manga with European history is nonsense. And seriously, whom were you accusing 'killing history'? whom were you asking to 'remove that name'? That's your understanding of polite? You gotta be kidding me right?

The rule
Quote: CGTalk is a professional, moderated forum. It's a place to talk about all things related to computer graphics.

you said:
Originally Posted by davek1979: There is almost no historical value to this piece.

Originally Posted by davek1979: Freakin' stop killing history and remove that name, call her Stormwind or Shulakha or Bloodhen or something


We are here to talk about computer graphics related, not history related. The artist earned his price because of his excellent skills recreating an existing 2d game cover in 3d.

The rule
Quote: Engage your brain before your mouth.

You said:
Originally Posted by davek1979: Really why call this fantasy lady Jean D'Arc ???


Why? Do a google research and tell me why. Seriously, you could've saved yourself from a lot of trouble if you were willing to spend 2 minutes running a search on google. The answer you were looking for is the second search result, and the 2d cover is right in front of your face as soon as you open that link.

And this is something you said, which I find really amusing:
Originally Posted by davek1979: I won't speak to art or creative director, mainly because... they haven't created this picture...


Right.....So, you won't speak to the CA/AD/CD/PM/ because they 'haven't created this picture'. They 'haven't created this picture' alright, but they created a game, and that game has a cover, and that cover happen to be the inspiration source of the rightful owner of this artwork we are currently speaking about. I'm not sure if you were even listening to Headson, the worked is based on a 2d image. You got a problem with the design, go speak to the CA and AD, you got a problem with Asian-manga style displays European history, go speak to the CD and PM. Don't just slap bunch of 'nonsense' comments on the floor here then go 'oops, I didn't know what's behind the image. oh well, at least I did say his stuff is nice.'

The rule
Quote: Critiques and responses to images are to be constructive and related to improving the quality of the artwork.

You said:
Originally Posted by davek1979: If any female warrior opted to have her breasts covered by armor but her belly, arms, head and neck exposed I'd say they deserve to die anyway to preserve average human IQ standard. (and don't tell me the belly has armor on but covered with clothes because that's another nonsense, if a warrior wants to die from self-injuries, wearing armor close to skin without another layer is the best way) The pommel of the sword would only be made by a blacksmith intent on the destruction of his own people. No warrior would hold it properly as this looks like a one-and-half hand sword, sometimes referred to as "bastard". The guard is too short and malformed. Don't get me started on that schwabach blade nonsense. Did I mention armored high heels ?


Those comments are not constructive. Even if Headson is the original designer, telling him what works not will not help him to understand what works. Giving comments like bunch of 'nonsense' will not help the artist to improve. If you think the chest design doesn't work, show him some images or links so he redesign something that works; if you think no warrior would hold a sword like that, show him what should be a properly sword for this character; if you think the guard is too short, paint over so he knows the correct length; if you didn't mention armored high heels, MENTION IT AND TELL HIM HOW TO FIX IT.

I have no personal relationship with Headson. I am here to speak because I'd like to remind you that professional attitude is still strongly recommended in this forum. I don't need to be a forum lead to stand up for this.

So David, please, be polite, be professional(even if you don't work for cg industry), be constructive. And next time before you make a comment, I suggest you, quoted from the rules, engage your brain before your mouth.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #73
Originally Posted by JackZhang: Oh mate, not sure your suggestion has any values because I believe I quoted forum rules in a pretty damn appropriate situation. Let's see some of the rules and some of your comments:

The rule:

you said:



Don't tell me you were being polite because you said 'It's a beautiful pic'. Nearly the entire speech of yours was about nonsense. This is nonsense, that is nonsense, the design is nonsense, Asian-manga with European history is nonsense. And seriously, whom were you accusing 'killing history'? whom were you asking to 'remove that name'? That's your understanding of polite? You gotta be kidding me right?

The rule

you said:



We are here to talk about computer graphics related, not history related. The artist earned his price because of his excellent skills recreating an existing 2d game cover in 3d.

The rule

You said:


Why? Do a google research and tell me why. Seriously, you could've saved yourself from a lot of trouble if you were willing to spend 2 minutes running a search on google. The answer you were looking for is the second search result, and the 2d cover is right in front of your face as soon as you open that link.

And this is something you said, which I find really amusing:


Right.....So, you won't speak to the CA/AD/CD/PM/ because they 'haven't created this picture'. They 'haven't created this picture' alright, but they created a game, and that game has a cover, and that cover happen to be the inspiration source of the rightful owner of this artwork we are currently speaking about. I'm not sure if you were even listening to Headson, the worked is based on a 2d image. You got a problem with the design, go speak to the CA and AD, you got a problem with Asian-manga style displays European history, go speak to the CD and PM. Don't just slap bunch of 'nonsense' comments on the floor here then go 'oops, I didn't know what's behind the image. oh well, at least I did say his stuff is nice.'

The rule

You said:


Those comments are not constructive. Even if Headson is the original designer, telling him what works not will not help him to understand what works. Giving comments like bunch of 'nonsense' will not help the artist to improve. If you think the chest design doesn't work, show him some images or links so he redesign something that works; if you think no warrior would hold a sword like that, show him what should be a properly sword for this character; if you think the guard is too short, paint over so he knows the correct length; if you didn't mention armored high heels, MENTION IT AND TELL HIM HOW TO FIX IT.

I have no personal relationship with Headson. I am here to speak because I'd like to remind you that professional attitude is still strongly recommended in this forum. I don't need to be a forum lead to stand up for this.

So David, please, be polite, be professional(even if you don't work for cg industry), be constructive. And next time before you make a comment, I suggest you, quoted from the rules, engage your brain before your mouth.


Well spoken.
You just said exactly what I wanted to say.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #74
Jack, Jack... what are you doing in CG industry if you can make millions being a writer ? I don't agree with you and I said all I had to say to you in my previous post. Have your flamewar with someone else.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #75
Originally Posted by davek1979: Jack, Jack... what are you doing in CG industry if you can make millions being a writer ? I don't agree with you and I said all I had to say to you in my previous post. Have your flamewar with someone else.


CG is my passion. That's what I'm here for. That's all what we are here for. This forum is one of the most professional forum in the industry around the world. I recommend maintaining the level of professionalism here as much as possible. Giving comments without confirming the source of the creation is not professional; Accusing this particular artist killing history is not professional; Asking him to remove the name of the artwork like what you did is not professional; Asking him to change the name to 'Shulakha or Bloodhen or something' is totally unprofessional and disrespectful.

You can't stand Asian-manga style display European history, yet you suggested changing to an Indian name irresponsibly; You don't like people having 'flamewar' with you, yet instead of telling me to stop, you asked me to have the war with someone else. I never said I disagree with any of your opinions on where Asian-manga should be displayed, or whether the design makes sense. I simply don't like the way you put your own priority above all others and express it in a professional forum.

Agreement is not a requisition. Yet respecting the forum rules is strongly recommended. If a war is really going on here and you don't want to be a part of it, you should stop replying under my comments. No one can have a war alone.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.