City Canyon, Stefan Morrell (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2010   #46
I love the amount of detail in your works... Man you are good
Exactly how long have you modeled that scene ?

Old 05 May 2010   #47
Truly amazing, in Every aspect just wonderful!

Old 05 May 2010   #48
thanks CGS for the choice award,that made my day

kiittea..its 90% FRvolume light coming from a direct light pointing straight down,all the bridges & stuff made for some interesting shadow play.that volume is rendered as a seperate pass that I can tweak in post,I also use alot of zdepth to get some atmospheric perspective/haze in the image.

thyn..really hard to say how long it took,the city I made as a commercial model so there's quite a lot that you dont see in this image,that took maybe 3 or 4 weeks to model/texture,then the ship was something I've spent maybe 3 or 4 days on,the textures are pretty rough on that,I just did a quick box map & half hour texture.one day I'll return to it & do proper uv's & better textures.
then the final image probably took a day or two to set up,starting with a rough thumbnail sketch so I knew what the composition would be..then another day to sort out lighting..then about 3 nights of messing around in Photoshop.
btw thyn,nice work in your portfolio.I had one of your images as my wallpaper recently

bearfoot..loving the coloring in your recent works,very inspiring.

thanks again for the comments guys,Cheers!

Old 05 May 2010   #49
Sublime!!! fantastic, the enviroment and the lights, very professional. congratulations

http://www.javierhmolina.blogspot.com

Old 05 May 2010   #50
Originally Posted by Stefan-Morrell: thanks CGS for the choice award,that made my day

kiittea..its 90% FRvolume light coming from a direct light pointing straight down,all the bridges & stuff made for some interesting shadow play.that volume is rendered as a seperate pass that I can tweak in post,I also use alot of zdepth to get some atmospheric perspective/haze in the image.

thyn..really hard to say how long it took,the city I made as a commercial model so there's quite a lot that you dont see in this image,that took maybe 3 or 4 weeks to model/texture,then the ship was something I've spent maybe 3 or 4 days on,the textures are pretty rough on that,I just did a quick box map & half hour texture.one day I'll return to it & do proper uv's & better textures.
then the final image probably took a day or two to set up,starting with a rough thumbnail sketch so I knew what the composition would be..then another day to sort out lighting..then about 3 nights of messing around in Photoshop.
btw thyn,nice work in your portfolio.I had one of your images as my wallpaper recently

bearfoot..loving the coloring in your recent works,very inspiring.

thanks again for the comments guys,Cheers!

Thats very interesting Stefan, thanks for explaining and congrats for the choice award

Old 05 May 2010   #51
High quality detail and lighting. Great work.

I really like the thickness of the air and the effect it has on the light. I'm curious about how much of it is actually Photoshop work.

Again, excelent!

Old 05 May 2010   #52
Man! this is amazing. Excellent work!

Old 05 May 2010   #53
you are indeed one of the premier artists in this arena

Old 05 May 2010   #54
Thumbs up 5 thumbs up If I had em ...

Totally outstanding
see what happens when u are 3 days late
u get 50+ comments in front of u

Awesome Job Yes Sir. 5 thumbs up If I had em ...

~
Michael

Old 05 May 2010   #55
Thumbs up yehooooooo

its amazing .perfect light and nice shot.,
keep going
I was disappointed myself.[img]images/icons/icon11.gif[/img][img]images/icons/icon11.gif[/img][img]images/icons/icon11.gif[/img]

Old 05 May 2010   #56
Talking

I'm curious with the chinese words ,京?
i can smell your curious
hah.interested.

Old 05 May 2010   #57
great job again Stefan
always amazed at your scene

Old 05 May 2010   #58
Thumbs up 5 Stars

Woooooow...this is Fantastic work as usual. I love that ship
And the kind of heavy details you put in your each and every scene is really amazing.
Your work has always being a big inspiration for guys like us thanks a lot for sharing your work.

Cheers!

Old 05 May 2010   #59
Thumbs up

amazing urban city killer work.

Old 05 May 2010   #60
Hi Stefan, just wanted to compliment you on your work, both this piece and your other cityscapes posted. I really admire your choice of palettes, compositional elements, and the fine balance between photo-realism and illustration. For me you images strike a really beautiful place between traditional sci-fi illustration and the more modern tendency for strong CG/photoreal work.

I get this wonderful feeling from pieces like this because it isn't attempting to make the place look (photo)real but instead it's doing what good concept art has always done; it's taking me to your vision of the world (as opposed to attempting to show me the world).

I was wondering if you might show us some un-photoshoped renders out of final render. I've looked at the product a couple of times and am really tempted to invest some time playing with it. I'd really love to see how you're using it.

Thanks again.

p.s.
I recently have been re-reading Gibson's novels. In particular I re-read Idoru last week and while reading it I was reminded of both your Sakura and Walled City images. If anyone actually gets aruond to making a Gibson film (or for that matter pretty much anything cyberpunk) I think they'd be doing themselves a service getting you involved
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

Thread Closed share thread