'02 Thunderbird, L.a. Akira (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2003   #61
WA SO GOOD

Old 08 August 2003   #62
My Goodness. Awesome dude.

Old 08 August 2003   #63
woow, you even modeled the interior.

Old 08 August 2003   #64
Hi there!

yes, I agree to all the praise and everything

but isn't there two suns in the reflection map?

also, the top part of the car seems to have bad (well... relatively...) reflections. I dont know why, the top part just does'nt seem to fit with the rest.

Really, please explain me the two suns (or what seems so)

Mark'Huss

Old 08 August 2003   #65
the two pieces of the body are facing (barely) in such a way that from the viewers vantage point, the pieces reflect the same area twice. Its like when you look into reflective sunglasses (like the matrix i suppose) and you see your reflection in both lens, it doesnt mean that theres two of you, it just means that the surfaces are facing a certain direction that allows your eye to see the reflection twice.

Old 08 August 2003   #66
when i saw this work first time
when i saw it careful
well done

Old 08 August 2003   #67
Three words...

Oh
My
God

:worship:

truly amazing, that shader on the carpaint is just ... beautiful

Old 08 August 2003   #68
Originally posted by policarpo
just an FYI...it was modeled partially in LW and rendered completely in LightWave.

but hey...it's just a damn fine model regardless of the fact that he used two great apps to create it.

Gerald is my freaking hero!!!! He is a modeling GOD!!!

He just proves that it is the artist, and not the tool that makes beautiful work!!!

Oh sorry....I saw those blue wires and thought it was Maya....I guess I better learn to read.LOL!

Excellent work!

Old 08 August 2003   #69
This is Amazing
I love it

Old 08 August 2003   #70
Antilles,

The point is that if you look at the position of the "suns" on the two parts, they are different. The image is greatly discontinued where the two body parts meet, and the "suns" just seem to be at two different places. Normally, there image being reflected should be continuous along the reflecting surface.

Mark'huss

Old 08 August 2003   #71
yeah i edited that last part, but duly noted, i didnt know thats what you were talking about. Your question is valid!

Old 08 August 2003   #72
Hey guys.. as promised Im posting the LW wires right now but its still gonna be some time for those animations...

Nessjp: I used alot of edge loop split (maya) and bandsaw (lw).

Morbid Angel: The modeling took me about 3 weeks and its about 100,000 polygons. The rest (surfacing and lighting) took about another 1 1/2 week. The Main pass was rendered out at 2048x1536 Enhanced High AA and took about an hour and a half on a dual Zeon 2.2..

Policarpo: Seems that being able to use various packages is a plus for employers so I thought it would be a good idea to attempt to model something in Maya. Since i'm still fairly new to maya, there were certain places I got stuck and/or felt that I could get the job done quicker in lightwave so I exported that piece as an .obj, did the mods and then switched back.

DaveMCD: I did in fact use a reference car when I shot the plate. Perhaps the camera FOV is making some background objects look somewhat distorted.

Joss: Poly modeled in Maya. I've used NURBS in electric image and a little in maya but my preference is polys/sub-ds.

Wgreenlee1: I did use both Maya and Lightwave for the modeling. However, surfacing, lighting and rendering were done in Lightwave.

PureFire: I have an NVidia Card in both my PC and Mac.

Marcusss/Antilles: On a flat plane you would have probably been only able to see the suns reflection on the door but the vantage point and curvature of the body makes it reflect twice. The front one looks somewhat smaller because if the bend behind the fender well.

P: 818 510 0710

F: 818 510 0739

E: gerald@industryvfx.com

INDUSTRYVFX.COM

Old 08 August 2003   #73
Wow, so nice! Awesome Work!

Old 08 August 2003   #74
originally posted by Sam Grice
The only thing that is spoiling it for me is the front grill, it looks really unrealistic, like its too bright or something, i would of thought someone else would of picked up on it.

I noticed that too, what's up with that. Apart from the usual praise I've got to ask, how the hell you rotate that thing in real time? Do you isolate parts of the model and hide the other faces while you work on one particular area? Or do you own a NASA super computer? Awesome!

Silverchair - Diorama

Old 08 August 2003   #75
Hey Akira.

I said you when I saw your firts car model. Your cars are the best CG cars I have ever seen.

The materials, the shadows, the lighting... all look perfect to me. No crits, five star for you!

Congrats again

Thread Closed share thread