'02 Thunderbird, L.a. Akira (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2003

It great!!...look like REALLY!! First mind it thinks that I am a photo.

08 August 2003
Talking

Looks great but the front weld looks a bit hard dont know if the car is like that and the composition needs a litle bit soft shadows under the car Anyway
Kickass job man specialy the shaders and i loved the inside of the car

08 August 2003
Gerald, this thing is so cool. Can you tell us why you didn't do it all in LightWave like you normally do?

ROCK!!!

08 August 2003
Wow! this is pretty fantastic. I feel really bad for trying to pick up things wrong with it (which is not many things at all)

Firstly i think i agree about the shadows, not enough ambient shadowing under the car and the angle of the light off the wheels .

Also i agree about the tyres needing to not have the logos completely straight up and down (also they probably should not exactly match front to back. That would require it to be put on identically and for the car to be all wheel drive otherwise overtime though driving theyd slip out of sync) Also i think you should turn the front ones a little just for interest sake in the picture. Maybe also try to let a little air out of the tyres at the bottom to give it a sense of weight. I dont know how apparant it would be on the real car but i keep wanting to see a little tyre bulge. I also keep thinking that the car should be lowered a bit maybe an inch or 2 (prob just personal preference)

Next, and i'm probably completely wrong on this one, i cant shake the feeling that the car is too big to match the background plate. Did you take a reference shot of another car in the same place. I just cant help feeling that the car should be about 85% of the scale that it is. I'm only basing this off the apparant scale of some other things in the car park but its really hard to tell cos they are all background.

Feel free to ignore any or all of this, they are such minor things. All in all you've done an insanely good job on this... and man that interior

DaveMcD

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by l.a. akira
Again, Thanks for all the comments guys.

Dbach: I used the spherical panorama to place the key light in the scene and the reference photo I used also cast the shadow the same direction. I'll go back and double check though.

If that is the case than I stand corrected.

08 August 2003
Actually, when you photograph cars in real life you lift the car with a jack to straighten the wheels for beauty shots

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by cholo
Actually, when you photograph cars in real life you lift the car with a jack to straighten the wheels for beauty shots

as in straighten them to point forward or rotate them so the logo's are straight up n down?

DaveMcD

08 August 2003
did you poly model this in Maya or use Nurbs??

if you poly modeled, then I have a helluva lot to learn.

you have nice smooth bevels on everything!!

please share some insight with us... please!

08 August 2003
lookin good. not sure if this has been answered or not i dont read alot of the posts. so sorry about that but how long did it take to render and stuff?

08 August 2003
Need to send a copy of this to Alias.
They would love this for the gallery!

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by wgreenlee1
Need to send a copy of this to Alias.
They would love this for the gallery!

just an FYI...it was modeled partially in LW and rendered completely in LightWave.

but hey...it's just a damn fine model regardless of the fact that he used two great apps to create it.

Gerald is my freaking hero!!!! He is a modeling GOD!!!

He just proves that it is the artist, and not the tool that makes beautiful work!!!

08 August 2003
I dont know if its My OS or something but I cant view the images , the link seems to be broken for me

08 August 2003
awesome job....all the crits have already been metioned so I wont iterate them.

what sort of graphics card and system do you have to handle that much detail ..omg!!

08 August 2003
Marvellous! what is the name for the car? Coz i remember the logo but forgotten the name

Also glad to see Mac OS X in 3D progress.

Keep up the good work

PowerMac G4 1.25DP__768MB__ViewSonic E70f+__ATI 9000 Pro 64 DDRRAM__Maya 5

08 August 2003
amazing!

Thread Closed share thread