Trek Madone, Brendan McCaffrey (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2009
thanks Ronnie, I have to say I did learn a trick or two from yourself on the modeling side of things.

Traxx I would love to see more bikes! get it posted man! I was useful indeed having the frame and parts to work from I just wish I had a full Red group on my table too (I my bikes all have Shimano though except my Sram single-speed but that hardly counts). I was going to kit it out in Dura Ace but there is something visually appealing about Sram Red especially the graphics. Sorry mate, no left overs here all parts are mounted and are being well used...

12 December 2009
Wow really amazing. This is amazingly detailed. Top notch modeling. And very well done presentation. Really fun to watch and find all those details in those renders. Very very well done!

You have some impressive skills!

Cheers Silverwing

12 December 2009
How long did it take to finish?

12 December 2009
I would like to know that too... Working hours?

12 December 2009
It's hard to say exactly as this was a spare time project and I did a bit when ever I could. The modeling was completed a couple of months ago and probably took a couple of weeks all told. I was using the model as an opportunity to familiarize myself with Max's modeling tools and focus on making clean and efficient meshes so I wasn't concerned with speed.
I spent about a week doing the UVs, textures and setting up the rendering. As I mentioned I used HDR light studio to set up the lights which was great. The render times were very reasonable and ranged from 2 to 6 hours depending on the resolution. The main hero shots were rendered at 10000x6000 and the closeups at 6400 and some at 3200.

12 December 2009
Could you tell us something about the shaders you used for the different metals?

12 December 2009
The attention to detail, clean, tight modelling & texturing is outstanding.

How are you finding the switch to Max/V-ray over Maya/MR? Although I don't know why I'm asking as you've clearly got them both down pat!

Stunning work.

12 December 2009
incredible detail .. you must have that bike sitting next to your workstation. really nice work.

jim

12 December 2009
Cheers Alex! the switch over has been fairly smooth.. There was an initial period there when I kept pressing the wrong hot keys. The material, lighting and rendering side of things was very easy to adapt to as most of the same concepts applied and work the same way. The more difficult aspects were fine tuning image quality settings and discovering the most efficient ways to set up scenes. The modeling side came eventually with some practice. It's quite different to Maya but hey! it's all just points and faces in the end.

Thanks Jim. Yes indeed it's sitting right beside me! Although it's a much more modest version. My studio is half bike workshop.

Herbert the metal shaders are not very complex at all just standard vray materials with low diffuse and high spec and varied levels of reflection glossiness depending on the finish. The titanium shader had a noise map added to the bump and reflect channels as those parts have a slight surface texture. A good environment is important in getting metals to look right.

12 December 2009
the modeling and rendering is fantastic! very clean mesh, the amount of detail in this model really impressed me, well done! 5* from me.

12 December 2009
this is just perfect !

I wish I could give you award

12 December 2009
amazing detailing ,....i liked all your renders...very very high detailing...i have a small question to ask you...
how did u do those chain bits? i tried to model a cycle and found it difficult to make those chain bits...i tried to draw a spline and made the chain bit to run along the spline using spacing tool...is that how it should be done? but it is not perfect for me...can u tell me how u did tat pls?

12 December 2009
I modeled the base links and used the spacing tool to position them along a spline. I had to position the inner and outer links separately to get the correct wrap and had to hand modify a couple of links around the derailleur pulleys but that was it. Once the pivot points are set up correctly and the spline is positioned correctly then it's straight forward.

12 December 2009
awesome

I love your work,man!
in my opinion,the shadow should be more darker,so that looks more realistic.It is just what i though,anyway.
keep it up,friend!Full stars from me.

12 December 2009
Great work !!!

Great work buddy.....this is so perfect and a true inspiration for all...but where is the award for this work??????????????????????????

Thread Closed share thread