Sakura, Stefan Morrell (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2009   #31
Fantastic, I love the mood...

Great piece as always....

Old 11 November 2009   #32
Awesome, great atmosphere and great render.
congrats

Old 11 November 2009   #33
great light! good work man!

Old 11 November 2009   #34
Thumbs up

sir you deserve 5 star for sure. the render is superb!

Stay thirsty my friend..

-the most interesting man in the world

Old 11 November 2009   #35
The Chinese character on bottom right is actually left and right reversed...

But still, that is really awesome!

Old 11 November 2009   #36
Thumbs up

Fantastic work! Truly epic. It makes me want to go in there and explore.

Have you thought of making any mods for Crysis or Unreal 3? Not enough work of this scale out there.

Old 11 November 2009   #37
Originally Posted by leigh: I really love the composition of the image and the contrasting warm and cool tones. I always like the way your details in your images seem to lessen further away from the camera - it's a feature that many people tend to overlook in their work, and it really helps with keeping focus in the composition. I also like the way this image really straddles realism and illustrative style.

What she said.

Old 11 November 2009   #38
amazing work man, thanks for posting wireframe too

Old 11 November 2009   #39
very great work!

Old 11 November 2009   #40
Hi steafan,
this was really amazing. very inspiring.

Old 11 November 2009   #41
Amazing work !!!

Old 11 November 2009   #42
Simply amazing! This is absolutely breath-taking work!

Cheers!

Old 11 November 2009   #43
Originally Posted by Designer:
However, and this is most probably nit-picking, but I must say that after being impressed the first thing I noticed was the wrong atmospheric conditions. The transmittance is correct but the coloring of the aerial perspective seems wrong to me. In the front the blueish tint is already quite prominent but to the back it becomes white again. However the back should instead become even bluisher instead of getting white again. The atmospheric particles won´t change their scattering properties even on a very hazy day unless the viewer looks elsewhere. If the front was white it would also get whiter in the distance.

Actually Samir, I have to defend Stefan's choice of colors. I can perfectly imagine this mood and it does not bug me at all to go from blue to white in the distance. In fact, I think it helps the image to do that. One situation where this could be possible is if there is a street with heavy traffic near and the blue scattering might symbolize smoke from motorbikes, for example. In some Asian countries motorbikes are more popular and/or affordable than cars and once there are thousands and thousands of them you might get a similar scattering like in this image. I think it really helps to suck you into the scene. As if you could smell, see and hear this scene of a (fantasy) asian city.

Other than that I think it is a great picture, kind of reminds me of Miyazaki, I don't know why. Probably the color palette. See it as a compliment. The architecture is really great, too. May I ask you if you used any references ?

If I really really HAD to knitpick it would be those subtle diagonal volumetric "lightbeams" (or whatever they are supposed to be ?) from top right to bottom left. And overall everything is very sharp. Some lens blur, blooms or lens abberations might help to give it a more photographic look and break up the cg. But maybe you even wanted that slightly graphic / illustrative look.

Beautiful work !

Old 11 November 2009   #44
suberb work and cool design man
keep it up

Old 11 November 2009   #45
thanks again for all the comments guys ..& big thanks to CGS for the Choice award!

Originally Posted by SciFibrow: Fantastic work! Truly epic. It makes me want to go in there and explore.

Have you thought of making any mods for Crysis or Unreal 3? Not enough work of this scale out there.

I'm on the mod team for Eclipse,there's heaps of awesome talent on the team.. http://www.digitalarmadagamestudios.com/eclipse/

Originally Posted by evan y: The Chinese character on bottom right is actually left and right reversed...

But still, that is really awesome!

oops..I forgot about that,the front section was mirrored at an early stage which inverted the text..good spotting evan!

Designer & relief7
I know what your saying about the atmospheric perspective,I tend to overexpose the skys in my images & allow for a lot of glare,I might be pushing it a bit too far but I'm also not interested in realism as much as having an illustrated look..
there is a small amount of abberation done in post,its so subtle though you'd hardly notice.
relief,
good to hear the Miyazaki comment,I think that bathhouse in Spirited Away has been a big inspiration in many of my images.

Originally Posted by johannmoises: Awesome!How many polygons in the scene bro??
Congratz,10 stars OMG =)

about 250k quads initialy,then instanced up to around 4 million

Originally Posted by finchy: Amazing!

How do you get that style? is it all in the texture or render settings? Also could you post a sample of the textures used?

Great piece! Wallpapered

lots of layer blends & styles in Photoshop,I make heavy use of zdepth renders for painting in the atmosphere,& also render off many different elements in finalrender.
the textures are all pretty basic.

Originally Posted by Gadzooks: Ok,..... Im officaly a fan now! Actually... that's a lie, I have been a fan of yours for a while now. If anyone from Gnomon Workshop is looking at this get this guy to do a training DVD. Outstanding work. Gadzooks

actualy they did ask me last year to do some,but I've been too busy..maybe one day I'll get onto it

thanks again

Thread Closed share thread