Pixologic Superhero, jeff miller (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2009   #16
This one sooo deserves a plug.

congratulations and have fun with it.

Old 05 May 2009   #17
Great work!!
Best regards, Selwy

Old 05 May 2009   #18
Really nice !
Another pose for us ?

Old 05 May 2009   #19
Great work Jeff!

Old 05 May 2009   #20
Thumbs up

Superb work....I love the pose of the character...a very strong presence...Keep it up...

Old 05 May 2009   #21
i love teh character and i loe the pose of him!!! realy nice work!

Old 05 May 2009   #22
Ultimate Captain America

First- great model. But why is it a re-coloration of Ultimate Captain America by Bryan Hitch? Its not, as suggested before, sort of influenced by a bunch of designs- but a change in the coloration of a single design:

Okay- so I'm an ultimate nerd for even pointing it out- but just wondering what the story is? Was this model originally created for an Ultimate Cap project? Great work either way.

Craig

Old 05 May 2009   #23
Originally Posted by comic-craig: First- great model. But why is it a re-coloration of Ultimate Captain America by Bryan Hitch? Its not, as suggested before, sort of influenced by a bunch of designs- but a change in the coloration of a single design:

Okay- so I'm an ultimate nerd for even pointing it out- but just wondering what the story is? Was this model originally created for an Ultimate Cap project? Great work either way.

Craig

Um, I think it's a coincidence? The only thing similar is the camera angle and the belt. And I think the comment you are referring to was what the poster saw in the image, which was his opinion, as this is also yours.

Great job!

Old 05 May 2009   #24
OMG!! 6 days to complete? That's so fast. Did you have a pre existing figure model or are you just super fast? This is incredible work. I gotta learn z brush. What type of renderer did you use in max?

Old 05 May 2009   #25
Thanks for all the comments guys. I agree with the crits about the pelvis/legs. i guess that is a casualty of the short deadline. Pixologic wanted a generic superhero that used typical superhero traits, which was good, since the deadline didn't permit me time for concepting. I started with a base male body I had, and spent the next 6 days sculpting, texturing, posing and rendering. I created all the textures and normal maps in zbrush, and then imported him into max to render in mental ray. the lighting rig is just a simple 3 point set up with a skylight. here is the pose that was used for the main banner:

Old 05 May 2009   #26
very very nice work
5 stars work

http://hitbit911.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Old 05 May 2009   #27
This is an excelent job, im a big fan of comic books, and this is totally awesome, i saw so many banners with this excellent character from the superhero contest. very cool job

Old 05 May 2009   #28
Originally Posted by japetus: Um, I think it's a coincidence? The only thing similar is the camera angle and the belt. And I think the comment you are referring to was what the poster saw in the image, which was his opinion, as this is also yours.

Great job!

We can all agree that this is a great image and executed amazingly- but as for costume design- I thought there might be a reason for the similarity- an homage maybe? Not limited to the belt, I also see the same chest star, shoulder star, glove, mask design, chain mail, even the way the chain mail splits into cloth on the chest ... basically the same costume with different colors. Not saying its a bad model, or wrong to use the design, just wondering if there was a story behind the use of design?:

Old 05 May 2009   #29
great work, love the illustrative style.

Old 05 May 2009   #30
Originally Posted by AJ: I would say that it looks like his torso is too long in this shot. The belt helps break this area up but I get the feeling that if you were to remove it he'd look very 'stretched'...

That's an influence from Stretch Armstrong!

Thread Closed share thread