EVIL WITCH, Sven Geruschkat (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2008   #61
Originally Posted by pwallin: Sorry...This image does not have any depth on it. Very...very flat!

-Pasi-

Whilst I respect your opinion, I must wholeheartedly disagree about the image not having any depth. If anything, I think there's a real depth to the image that really pushes the witches face right out at you.

I think this is one of the best portraits I've seen on these forums and I absolutley love the style, the texturing etc. I'd love to see a breakdown of how the image was put together.

Old 09 September 2008   #62
with more dramatic lightning this would rule.
looks too modern perfect ilumination to be creepy. looks like a studio set for a product shoot... which doesnt really blend with the witch mood...does it?
would also make it look less flat...
other than that... love it.
pixar, myasaki and takahata #1

Old 09 September 2008   #63
Hello...

@SulaMoon
- Interesting. I haven't seen that picture until now.

Basically, I mixed "Sleeping Beauty - Witch" (60%), with "Legend - Swamp Witch" (20%) and with a realistic old woman (20%). Maybe the "Star Wars - Imperator" is in there too...

@pwallin
- I know, what you mean. But since this is an ongoing project, I thought for the start something simple (striking) and plain would be the best to show. I already played with spooky lights and depth of field etc. But due to the long render times (FG+SSS+Displace=rendertimekiller), that will be something for the future.

@kidcodea
- Yes I know, I also mentioned that in the image's description. The hdr-environment is my room+window. Not very moody. But otherwise, I think it's more fun, to see everything.

Old 09 September 2008   #64
great.

oh awesome.
great job.

Old 09 September 2008   #65
wow

wow thats image is fantastic

Old 09 September 2008   #66
really Excellent!...

Old 09 September 2008   #67
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !
Wie endgeil ist das denn ?
Ich bin sprachlos.

You do an amazing job with this masterwork. Uhhhh i love it.

Old 09 September 2008   #68
I really have to say it's a crying shame you took so little efford to make her face a little less symmetrical. Sure, there are some warts here and there, but the first thing that jumped me when I looked at this image is that the skin color and even the wrinkles are mirrored. This is especially obvious along her nose.

This really is a shame, because by the looks of things you've put quite a bit of work in the details, which is why I can't understand why you've overlooked something so obvious.

I'm not saying I could've done a better job though, and if you put these nitpicks aside it really is a wonderful image. Reminds me a lot of the witch Eucalypta from the old "Paulus de Boskabouter", an old Dutch hearing-show by Jean Dulieu I grew up with.

Old 09 September 2008   #69
Originally Posted by Hecatomb: but the first thing that jumped me when I looked at this image is that the skin color and even the wrinkles are mirrored.

Have to agree here, that was the second thing to jump out at me.

The first thing was how freaking great the image was!
Awesome job! (But fix the texture mirroring if you get a chance)

~M

Old 09 September 2008   #70
Originally Posted by svenger:
@kidcodea
- Yes I know, I also mentioned that in the image's description. The hdr-environment is my room+window. Not very moody. But otherwise, I think it's more fun, to see everything.

That's what I really like about the image in that the details really pop because of the lighting. I think the the whole uplit face thingy is probably what almost anyone would have done but I love the fact that you see evertything warts an all - I just realised that the skin detailing and eyse are quite similair to a really amazing portrait of an old sailor man that Rick Baker did - was that one of your inspirations by any chance?

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/sh...97&page=1&pp=15

Old 09 September 2008   #71
Incredible work ... I don't care about realism, she's lovely like that
As you said, she reminds me Jenny green-teeth, the swamp sorceress of Legend ^^

Old 09 September 2008   #72
Excellent work man!!...it's an awesome representation of the Disney witch in 3D...

Congrats

Old 09 September 2008   #73
@ Hecatomb

There!!! Yes, I mirrored... Would anybody belive me, when I say, I left it on purpose?! Just to tease you?
But asymmetry, was not a priority for me. (Time and texture sizes played a role too.)
I want to understand materials and light first, before I spend time with the second half of a face. Afterall, this is a project for research and to understand basic things...
I promise, my future heads will be fully asymmetrical

@ csutcliffe

Funny, you mentioned something indirectly, why I'm doing this. Surely, I've seen Rick Baker's work. Needless to say, that he is lightyears ahead concerning sculpting etc. But all these superb artworks done with Z-Brush are lacking cool renderings/shaders/materials etc... (my opinion, no offense). There is still this gap, wich is hard to overcome. That's where I'm up to.

Old 09 September 2008   #74
Its Gollums grandma!

Old 09 September 2008   #75
I love the nose. Now I am never to eat again an apple.

Thread Closed share thread