CGTalk > Gallery > CG Awards
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-03-2003, 04:55 AM   #46
JoeW
Know-it-All

Animator/Artist/Tech monkey

Feet, feet, feet.... LOL!

Jeeez - I had no idea there were so many foot-fetish people out there! LOL!

Okay, first, thanks for all the kudos and the criticism. Usually, my *first*reaction to constructive criticism is "WHAT the hell are you talking about!?" - but then, it sinks in, and some of it rings true - and I go back and make changes. It's always nice to have a fresh set of eyes take a look. I wasn't totally happy with the feet, myself - the left foot was WAY too blocky - so I went and changed it to more of a dancer's foot - kind of curled with a protruding big toe. I'm rendering that fix now.

As far as the front foot "taking weight" - well, that's a tough one. The mesh is pretty light, so it's hard to give it much of a "squashed" look - but I did tweak it some, and I think it looks better. I'll post the "updates" when the render is finished (rendering at 4800x4800 takes a little while...)

-------------------------------------------------------------
skii wrote:
oh and why is she even wearing whats she is wearing lol..
its soOOoo small and useless..
hha..
--------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, it's FAR more sexy to have just a little bit covered than to have her completely nude. Your imagination is the best sweetener in the world

Boxcarwilli wrote:
Must be some skin safe glue holding on the nipple covers no?

Well, given that the design IS Bisley, I'd say it's more likely that its held on with nipple rings

deddy wrote:
I like the mask, but I think I saw the similar one before.
It's demoreel from hiko, if you guys ever heard of that
but yeah.
well done

I'm impressed by the weighting...
can you share with us how to that??
----------------------------------------------------------------

Is anything *truly* original any more?

In Animation Master, you don't use any kind of weightmaps for joints - you use a combination of "cosmetic bones" and more importantly Smartskin. In a nutshell, you simply put the bone where you want it and fix the mesh - move the bone again, and fix the mesh - until you've covered all the positions that you would want to put the bone in. Once you've done that for one half of the model, you simply mirror the data over to the other side - The data is saved in the model. When you are animating, whenever you move that bone, the mesh "remembers" how it's supposed to deform. It's SO superior to anything else out there - yet none of the "big" packages have it. I know there are similar things out there, but the Joint Morphs and Deformer Cages are a huge pain in the ass to set up - AM is so simple, it's a huge stuggle for me to tolerate working in something like Maya or LW.

---------------------------------------------------------------
JeT wrote:
crits, either her breasts and her hips are too big or her stomach is too small. increase stomach circumference for more realistic image.

the metal doesnt look very metally, on the sword and armpads especially, the skin could use a once over as well, add some paleness to that perfect tan :P

true beauty is in the imperfection.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bisley's style is huge boobs and "hippy" women - I wasn't really going for realism (who are we kidding? - she's pushing 7' tall). I actually took a step BACK from what I could have done - check out the image posted later in the thread....

Metal is tough to do in AM. I actually think it looks pretty good - but that's my opinion. I was going for a "Damascus steel" look on the blade and the armor - if you've ever seen it, it's kind of a dull looking material with certain finishes. I didn't want to do a "chrome" sword - too clean for a Bisley inspired design....

Hmmm - it's strange that you think she has a "perfect tan" - there is a hell of a lot of variation in the skin maps. I wanted to give her a "field hand's" tan, as opposed to a "tanning bed" tan - so the parts that don't get sun directly are pretty pale. Of course, that lighting is pretty direct, and that's probably not helping it show up.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Boyd Lake wrote:
Naw, don't touch that waist....that's how Bisley draws em. Nice work dude, though I would'nt mind some new poses and a bit different lighting scheme.

Ah, a man who knows the Biz's work

I plan to do a lot more - this was actually the first serious render after finishing most of the rig. I'll post more as I get them finished

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Pascal Blanche' wrote:
wow... realy nice work... Im not really crazy about the pose you should try to go back to the original one that bisley did (see attached pict) ... but still... that's a great model, thx for sharing!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Pascal - and thanks VERY much for posting that image. I was working from a really small image - like 330X400 - and now I see all the detail I missed! LOL! Anyway, where did you snag that image?

In regards to the pose, well, there are some who like it, and some who don't. I happen to have a body-building background, so to me it's very comfortable - but I also agree with you in that I also love the original pose in the painting - which I have every intention of recreating in 3D. I promise to post it when I set it up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Fitz wrote:
Joe, that looks friggin great!
How's the model perform in hash? Does it bog it down when moving her around in shaded mode?
How about those joints? Smartskin or orther?
Either way, excellent work
Mike Fitz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Mike - she moves very quickly in AM - pretty much real time - at least I can't think of a time when I moved her that I had to wait for AM to catch up. The mesh is pretty light, and I don't use a very complex rig - I find they get in my way when I try to animate the way I like to. Joints are handled with a combination of Orient Like (cosmetic) bones, and Smartskin - although this pose has some CP tweaks that I'll probably go back and fix in the Smartskins....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chewey wrote:
Nice work. I think the face needs to be pushed a step away from realistic such as the body exhibits so that it matches the body style better.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the input Chewey. To an extent, I would agree, but the problem is that you walk a fine line between a face being attractive and freakish. You can get away with murder in 2D - so it's easy to distort proportions *at a specific viewing angle* and get away with it - in 3D it's much harder. I suppose if I were more skilled, I could push that point with some confidence, but I'll have to leave that until I get better at this whole modeling thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
jtk77 wrote:

For a hash render, they have come a long way!
I don't care for the sword material, that texture looks out of place becouse it seems so washed out . Kinda cartoony and it lacks depth for some reason.
I'm sure if you intend aniamtion of a still. If its a still her front foot does not appear to take on any weight of her body from that lundge . The fleshy parts should look as if weight was distrubuted onto them with a floor that hard.
But , unfortunily, you rarely see that in any CG , its a difficult thing to set up, especialy for aniamtion , you almost have to have aset of blend shapes for preasure points to trigger when you need them. If she wasn't so extended with the look of her intire mass on that front foot, it won't be so apperent.
But awsome model, I love it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Hash has come a long way. Especially when you consider that most add-on renderers cost 3 to 5 times what AM alone costs.

The sword lacks depth, I think (and I'm suprised nobody caught this) because it doesn't cast a shadow. I turned it off. It cast a shadow across the headress that was more bothersome to me than the lack of a shadow in the first place. I may go back and put a "toned down" one in there, but then again, maybe not. I appreciate the critique, though.

This character is intended for both stills and animation. I'm in the process of doing what I can about the feet - critique taken. I think she's going to look awesome when she's moving

Once again, thanks very much everybody for the critiques and the kudos - I appreciate you all taking the time to comment!

JoeW

Advice for Children: Be good....and you will be lonesome. Mark Twain

Old 06-03-2003, 05:17 AM   #47
JoeW
Know-it-All

Quote:
Originally posted by ngrava
Yep, Very cool. I am really impresses that you where able to make that in Animation Master. It really shows that it's not the tools but the artist that make great art. I used to work for Hash back in 95 and it's great to see them growing there feature list. I love th idea of pose sliders. It's like taking XSI's motion blender or lightwave's Endomorphs to the next level. I didn't know about the smart skin stuff though. That sounds great. You can do the same thing in Maya with 'Set Driven Key' and blend shapes but it's a bit of a hassle compared with what you described. Did you use the new version that has that new Polygon smoothing thing in the renderer? I haven't seen what it can do but I've heard about it. Sounds like one of those featured I used to bug Martin about.

-=GB=-

Thank you - I couldn't agree more with your comment about "it's not the tools".....

"Poses" in AM put everything I've seen to shame. What other package allows you to open a window, manipulate bones, CP's, constraints and maps all at the same time, with multiple keyframes on a slider - without writing any expressions or trundling through 50 dialog boxes? Unfortunately, I'm *used* to being able to do that, and it makes working in other packages very painful. We have a *very* experienced Maya TD at Avalanche - when I showed him what AM could do, and how EASY it was to do it - he was speechless - he had always considered it a "toy" program.

Smartskin, which used to be axis driven (i.e. you had to do separate smartskin for X, Y, and Z rotation) is now "3D". It uses quaternion rotations - so now you can smartskin on all axis simultaneously - very, very cool.

The "polygon smoothing" thing you're talking about is the result of our constant screeching about "creasing" and the fact that one of our guys pretty much figured out how to fix it (something that supposedly wasn't possible). We shared our information with Martin, and he incorporated our stuff with some of his changes - and we now have a "base" renderer that looks tons better than the old one (basically, the old AM renderer wasn't calculating continuity across patches - so boundaries looked like sheeee-it - the new one samples normals in a 4x4 pattern, and it works very well). The renderer still microtesselates along edges, though - so, no polygonal edges. The renderer is getting a little stronger with each beta release (about every week) - and if I get my way, you'll soon be able to do separate passes out of the renderer for easier compositing

It's still got it's problems, but AM is coming along. I think if they can stop trying to rewrite the thing every few years and just stick to *evolving* the software, it could be a VERY formidable player in the 3D world.

JoeW

Old 06-03-2003, 05:35 AM   #48
phade2
Pixel Sniper

portfolio
Alan Arrivas
Filmmaker, Illustrator, Animator
San%2BDiego%252C%2BCA,

nice job! good to see another AM artist with some skills.

Old 06-04-2003, 03:19 AM   #49
dazrenius
Veteran

3D Animator

i like this image becoz the posture of the warrior is very sexy, strong and with a lot of attitude! Other than the artistic side, i found out the software used to make this is improving a lot. Maybe the guy is just a computer genius

Old 06-04-2003, 03:34 AM   #50
slaughters
Put the Doo in Doofuss !

portfolio
Stan Slaughter
USA

Quote:
Originally posted by skii
...and why is she even wearing whats she is wearing lol..
its soOOoo small and useless..
It's to fend off those warrior nursing babies.

Nice model. The render reminded me a little of a Boris painting.

Old 06-04-2003, 07:16 AM   #51
chudofsinister
Ding Dong

?

FReaking very cool. I dig it when someone tries to do a cool looking character rather than go after that Holy Grail of the most hyper realistic model ever( skin crawling up spine). Great work in this image she is not as maybe 'worn' as a bisley character might be but I am sure there is time for that. What I was wondering is what you did to create the feathers. Geometry with some sort of special maps or something..? Thanks for the info.
chud

Old 06-04-2003, 08:11 AM   #52
el paso
Veteran
Bradley Sorochka
Canada

ghetto booty

Old 06-04-2003, 08:34 PM   #53
Markuss
Veteran

portfolio
Markus Schille
Graphic Artist
Funcom
Fredrikstad, Norway

Thats really cool! Hunter was my favorite Quake III character and I haven't even seen the original Bisley picture before! Bisley's painting is a little bit more "fleshy" and yours a little bit more "muscular" but anyways great work!

I think the arm looks a little bit thin between the delta and the biceps. Maybe the delta is a little too round or something? Anyways, I still think it looks great! I would love to see more poses...

Old 06-04-2003, 08:47 PM   #54
nerzhul

Love it. Great skin textures and muscle definition!

Old 06-04-2003, 11:53 PM   #55
CactusJack
Oompa Loompa

Artist/Animator

Very impressive...here's to ya!
Animate her...now!!!....
After that, how about modeling that vulture looking creature (from the picture that "pascal blanché" posted)...
Up for the challenge?...

All beer aside, I am awe'd by your work....

Old 06-05-2003, 12:03 AM   #56
FloydBishop
Expert

portfolio
Floyd Bishop
Microsoft
Seattle, USA

Have the Heavy Metal guys seen this? They should, cause it's awesome.

YouTube Channel
Char Maya Character Rig

Old 06-05-2003, 02:08 AM   #57
JoeW
Know-it-All

And now for something completely different....

Thank you for the compliments, guys - it inspires me to do more

dazrenius wrote:

i found out the software used to make this is improving a lot. Maybe the guy is just a computer genius

Eeesh - a genius? Not me - LOL! Unless you define "genius" as 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration She went through a lot of stages before I was happy with her (and she'll still get tweaked here and there, I'm sure). I *wish* I was one of these guys who can whip out a model in 8 hours - but I'm not. I'm just stubborn

slaughters wrote:

It's to fend off those warrior nursing babies.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Damn right. They're mean little bastids.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
chudofsinister wrote:

FReaking very cool. I dig it when someone tries to do a cool looking character rather than go after that Holy Grail of the most hyper realistic model ever( skin crawling up spine). Great work in this image she is not as maybe 'worn' as a bisley character might be but I am sure there is time for that. What I was wondering is what you did to create the feathers. Geometry with some sort of special maps or something..? Thanks for the info.
chud

Thanks, chud. I agree - if you want REAL hire an actor... or in this case, a bikini model... which might have been more fun... but here in Salt Lake, it's considered a "sin" for a girl to expose her shoulders, so we're a little short on hotties

She could be more worn, but like you said, the dirt maps are coming later - I want them to match the environment.

The feathers are nothing really special - just single-thickness patches with clip maps, specular maps, color maps and diffuse maps. You don't see a lot of that because of the way the light is hitting them - but if she was moving, you'd see flashes of "sheen" across them.

el paso wrote:

ghetto booty

Baby's gotta have back. On the serious side, my preference is for voluptuous - not fat, but curves are what says "woman" to me....

---------------------------------------------------------------
Markus_S wrote:

Thats really cool! Hunter was my favorite Quake III character and I haven't even seen the original Bisley picture before! Bisley's painting is a little bit more "fleshy" and yours a little bit more "muscular" but anyways great work!

I think the arm looks a little bit thin between the delta and the biceps. Maybe the delta is a little too round or something? Anyways, I still think it looks great! I would love to see more poses...
-------------------------------------------------------------

I asked Paul Steed if he'd seen that Bisley had ripped him off - and he told me he was influenced by *him*. Since I'd done a nice piece based on the QuakeIII Hunter, I decided to do one based on the original - it was like I found I'd put all this effort into copying a copy

You can see the Quake version of Hunter here:
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/s...;s_Homeland.jpg

I agree that she is more muscular, but that's just my preference showing through - I'm a body builder, and I like women who are a bit more "fit" - although female *pro* bodybuilders are pretty repulsive to me.

I agree with your statement - in this view, it does look short - but also in this view, her boobs look almost proportional - in some other renders I've done, they look pretty massive. I think it'll really take seeing her moving to do a fair job of judging it - but thanks for taking the time to critique it

Another couple of *test* poses:
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/s...hunterback2.jpg
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/s...yhunterswsm.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------
CactusJack wrote:

Very impressive...here's to ya!
Animate her...now!!!....
After that, how about modeling that vulture looking creature (from the picture that "pascal blanché" posted)...
Up for the challenge?...

All beer aside, I am awe'd by your work....

Thanks. I plan to do some animations with her - thinking about a sword kata right now - we'll see. Work keeps getting in the way of my artwork

The Vulture would be pretty easy, I think. Doing ugly things is a hell of a lot easier that beautiful things, and it makes it even better when it's something that doesn't exist. Nobody can say - "Hey, that xxxxxx doesn't look like it should!"

The question is, if I do model it, would I use it... hmmmm....

FloydBishop wrote:

Have the Heavy Metal guys seen this? They should, cause it's awesome.

Floyd! How's life treating you, man? Good to see you here

I haven't sent it to them (wanted to send it to Bisley - just to pay homage) - but wasn't sure where to send it... any ideas (connections)?

JoeW

Old 06-05-2003, 01:15 PM   #58
ATAHUALPA
Veteran

portfolio
Martin
cybersign
Neugreifenberg, Germany

Fantastic model, fantastic rendering (as all things Joe models or animates)

First animation I remember was Tiara, which I still love. Not only
the style, she smiles in way....uahhhh!

Hope all of your work will push A:M, so that more and more people will use it, not only as hobbiests, but also in studios.

I for myself have to work with Maya, but my all time favourite is A:M (not to forget HASH and the community)

Let's see if version 10.5 and Joe will infiltrate A:M into smaller and bigger studios.....

Martin

www.cybersign.de

Old 06-06-2003, 08:02 AM   #59
bucherer
ets

really awesome work..

Old 06-06-2003, 10:29 AM   #60
Radacci
Hunter of Lucidity

portfolio
robert radacic
Motala, Sweden

i think that the pink feathers stands out to much in the pic, and it distracts you from the whole, and i dont think the feathers are the main thing you want to focus on eh?

Thread Closed share thread