Bisley's Warrior Princess, Joew (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2003
Character: Bisley's Warrior Princess

Well, at the urging of some of the Hash guys, I'm posting this here. This character is based on the painting by Simon Bisley (unknown title) - which also happened to be the inspiration for Paul Steed of id Software to create the character "Hunter" in Quake III Arena.

You can see a hi-res image here:

I plan to use this model for a series of stills and animations - but I liked the "body builder" pose enough to just keep it to a simple background for now. She was built and rendered in Animation Master V10.5.

Critiques welcome...

JoeW

Advice for Children: Be good....and you will be lonesome. Mark Twain

06 June 2003
Wow, I had no idea Hash's renderer could do this now..without looking very carefully I'd easily take that for a vinyl kit

Very nice model and pose, something bothersome about the left leg, but you've definitely captured the flavor and style.

Would be cool to see in a full scene..look forward to more.

06 June 2003
Very stylish and very ... atmospheric and sexual in a sense. Considering this being AM, I can say Im wordless.

06 June 2003
Yeah, i like the pose, and yes its kinda sexy.
I'm simply amazed by this, and I'd very much like to see a wireframe of it if possible. By the way, what do you think of Animation Master in regards to character modeling, in comparison to Maya or MAX?
Again, excellent work.

06 June 2003
Wow!

I really like this, I can now see where hunter's headdress came from My first reaction was also that it's a kit of some sort. Wonderful detail and great textures, imho this is what Hunter should have looked like

Please do post more...

06 June 2003
foot

really really good model, your plugged for sure..
the only thing buggin me is the right foot.. I see this a lot in cg.. its like theres no impact, like its floating a bit.. maybe this could be corrected with a blend shape/ morph target or what ever its called in animation master In order to flatten the bottom of the foot to sort of ground it..
Or maybe it could be corrected by adding more of a shadow beneath it....
anyway somethings bugging me but i dont really know how to fix it any way, so i wouldnt worry too much.
cheers man
beautifull model

06 June 2003
Very good! At first sight, it appears to be an action figure photo!
I like the anatomy too

06 June 2003
That woman looks VERY scary.

06 June 2003
so what where you thinking whit when you made that? >>> start using you brain insted of your ****

06 June 2003
Fantastic stuff Joe...
Glad to see you posting up here...
The model is incredible... Glad I have the privledge to see her in motion as well... that's the true beauty of her...

osukayasuragi - that was an idiotic post you made! Confine your remarks to something productive next time...

06 June 2003
love it

i think it is frontpage material

love the sword pose

06 June 2003
Quote: Originally posted by hypercube
Wow, I had no idea Hash's renderer could do this now..without looking very carefully I'd easily take that for a vinyl kit

Very nice model and pose, something bothersome about the left leg, but you've definitely captured the flavor and style.

Would be cool to see in a full scene..look forward to more.

Thanks for the compliments all !

AM's renderer is improving almost weekly - and has come a LONG way in the last version - which is great news for those of us who like to use it.

Quote: Originally posted by Jonas8200 Yeah, i like the pose, and yes its kinda sexy.
I'm simply amazed by this, and I'd very much like to see a wireframe of it if possible. By the way, what do you think of Animation Master in regards to character modeling, in comparison to Maya or MAX?
Again, excellent work. [/B]

Thank you again - I put a wireframe up at:
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/C...H_Wireframe.jpg

it's a bit messy - but that's an issue with AM and openGL at this point in time...

Hash is like "sketching" in 3D for me. I like LW for modeling characters, too - but AM is just so darn fast and you can keep your models "loose" until you want to stitch everything together. I DO wish AM had some of the functionality of LW's SDS (spinquads and bandsaw would rock) - but it's a toss up. I will often start a model in AM and then take it into LW to finish it up (if I'm going to be working with it in LW). As far as Maya and Max, well, I'd take LW over both of them - their SDS modeling is SO slow - but they do have some nice mapping features over LW. Also, there's no other app I'd rather map a character than in AM - it's so intuitive for me, it's scary....

One other thing that makes AM my choice for characters is that their tools are unmatched in any other package. Smartskin - REAL smartskin is so cool, it floors me that nobody else has picked up on the paradigm. You can move a bone, tweak the mesh, move it again, tweak it again, move, tweak, move, tweak, until you have all the rotations covered. Then, when you animate, the model *remembers* all of the things it's supposed to do - no expressions to write, no morph targets to load. You can set as many "keyframes" as you like - and once you're done with one side, you simply mirror the results across to the other side. Makes all the other "solutions" look pretty weak....

Quote: Originally posted by Nightwing Wow!

I really like this, I can now see where hunter's headdress came from My first reaction was also that it's a kit of some sort. Wonderful detail and great textures, imho this is what Hunter should have looked like

Please do post more... [/B]

Will do - I was kind of suprised at how this (very) simple lighting worked - one of those "happy accidents". I agree that this is what Hunter should have looked like - I'd have played in Third Person view ALL the time - LOL!

In regards to the left leg, well, I'm not all that happy with the left foot, and the calf is pretty stylized (lots of curvature) - but it isn't meant to be photorealistic - it's *Bisley*, after all

I also agree with the comment about the right foot - that's a tough one. Maybe I'll try to flatten it out a bit, but I know that it's just the nature of 3D and "fake" lighting to cause problems there. Good comments, though

Quote: Originally posted by osukayasuragi so what where you thinking whit when you made that? >>> start using you brain insted of your **** [/B]

I was thinking how much I admire the work of Simon Bisley and wondering if I could capture his style (or at least a part of it) in 3D.

I also will NOT appologize for the fact that I am a male, *and* an artist. I appreciate the female form - the flowing lines and shapes - creating that in 3D is like capturing beauty - and is very difficult. For me, it's about appreciation of the form and the creation process. That's what I was thinking.

As an artist, I control the image - but any *sexual* interpretations (or hang-ups) are all yours....

JoeW

Advice for Children: Be good....and you will be lonesome. Mark Twain

06 June 2003
awesome stuff
love the picture! (and thats not just because im a male )

and dont listen to that osukayasuragi guy (gal?)
either he was being sarcastic, or hes just jelous or something..

06 June 2003
great piece, also you handled the osukayasuragi comment well, not becoming rude which is easy to do when baited like that.

Shaykai

06 June 2003
wat the hell!!!
this is 3d!??
looks like a painting.....
good job in succedding in the painting style...

oh and why is she even wearing whats she is wearing lol..
its soOOoo small and useless..
hha..

anyways great work....

Thread Closed share thread