Charging Kudu, Bill Melvin (3d)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2008   #16
AWESOME!!! 5*

Old 02 February 2008   #17
I really love the fur/texturing. The environment is awesome too. I love the grass it is kicking up (something I would not have noticed if it wasn’t that but it is nice to see you put the time into that, maybe adding a bit of dirt to the mix as well…). The only question I have is about its stance. I don't know what you were going for, but when I look at this I see the animal in mid-kick. Is that what it is doing? If so when deer, for example, kick up like that they usually do so on both front feet, however this one is just on one leg. It seems a bit impractical for it to be in a stance like this.

Although beside that one staging issue it is, as far as I can say, awesome work. I don't see many photo-real animal pictures. Great work.

Old 02 February 2008   #18
Thumbs up

Amazing!!! 5*s

Old 02 February 2008   #19
Thanks everyone for your C&Cs. I really appreciate all of the feedback.

Originally Posted by kfish2oo2: Having grown up in South Africa and having had plenty of experience with Kudu, I have to say, this one is superb. The energy and flow of the animal is spot on, however I think the title should rather be "Fleeing Kudu"! When charging, Kudu lower their horns, intending to ram and injure their oponents. They hold their head high in flight, making it easier to see their way around the dense bush they inhabit.
Excellent peice, well done!

Thanks for your observations. I guess I’m romanticizing the animal a bit here, and am not portraying its true behavior. It is always interesting to hear from people who have these animals in their ‘back-yards’. To me the Kudu is exotic and the closest thing to a Kudu, in my back-yard, is the much smaller White-Tailed Deer, which is a more common sight for me than even rabbits are.

Originally Posted by ABlackerby: I really love the fur/texturing. The environment is awesome too. I love the grass it is kicking up (something I would not have noticed if it wasn’t that but it is nice to see you put the time into that, maybe adding a bit of dirt to the mix as well…). The only question I have is about its stance. I don't know what you were going for, but when I look at this I see the animal in mid-kick. Is that what it is doing? If so when deer, for example, kick up like that they usually do so on both front feet, however this one is just on one leg. It seems a bit impractical for it to be in a stance like this.

Although beside that one staging issue it is, as far as I can say, awesome work. I don't see many photo-real animal pictures. Great work.

Thanks for your comments. The animal is not in a stance but is intended to be perceived moving forward. At one point in a gate sequence you will find one foot, at a time, planted on the ground. I chose to show this in the original render where the Kudu is on a circular base, statue style.

Old 02 February 2008   #20
just wow , 5 stars

Old 02 February 2008   #21
amazing work

Old 02 February 2008   #22
Thumbs up

Amazing - 5* from moi...!

Old 02 February 2008   #23
great work

Old 02 February 2008   #24
perfect compositon and lighting.... all the best

Old 02 February 2008   #25

Great great great!!!

Old 02 February 2008   #26
great work man!

great work man!

Old 02 February 2008   #27
As a big fan of planet earth and all things nature, this is an amazing piece, this could actually be a real animal. Truly fantastic.

Old 02 February 2008   #28
excellent work man.. i especially like the the environemnt of the picture wonderful work man...

regards

Old 02 February 2008   #29
Thumbs up Great !!!

You do an amazing job .Congratulation.

ZIZ from Senegal.

Old 02 February 2008   #30
Thumbs up

Very nice!!!very good!!!
blend1982@live.cn

Thread Closed share thread