'photo-real' Elephant, Ward (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2003   #46
Hi,

First of all thanks to Tito for the front page. You are great! many thanks

Secondly here are couple of infos: so the elephants was modelled in maya from polygons. Each animal has two differrent 4k texture maps, because it was rendered in 1.5k resolution. Ye, I know, probably the 4k texture size a bit big , These were painted in photoshop. I used loads of reference photos, but mainly I had to paint the textures because as you know it's almost impossible to find pictures in such a huge resolution what would have been suitable to create a 4k text maps. So I painted it.
I modelled three different elephant objects and those has different textures also, sadly it's inpossible to recognize. probably I should make a very huge render to prove ), ok, after the render I had couple of layers, as diffuse, shadow, reflection, beauty, ground shadow, and a special layer what contained all the wrinkles. I used the bump map texture as diffuse map and made a bit differrent light setup to create this layer. It was very useful because I had full controll above the wrinkles on this way.
Some words about the composite: So the aim was to make it as photoreal as it is possible, I found some 1.5k res images about elephants, rhinos, and so on, typical african savanna environments, so I removed the animals and don't wanted elements from the images in Photoshop and used them as background. Unfortunately it would have been impossible to take proper photos here in west yorkshire ), and mainy I wanted to spend time with the composite-rendering not the haunting for the the background.
So after that I painted foreground alpha masks, and painted some of the branches also. I rendered differrent dust layers in Max as ground dust around the trunks, and dust on the air. and
finaly composited everything in Shake and in AE also. (I used the AE's ballance filter to the final color correct)

some making of pictures and wireframe images are coming soon.

bye

Ps: If you have any question, just feel free to ask.

ward
balazs.p.kiss(at)gmail.com
www.balazskiss.com

-

Old 03 March 2003   #47
and the answers:

Mihao, D_Nice, Ultragames, Nightwing: Many thanks guys!

Harvester: Yep, probably you are right with the rings on the trunk,
but the tail is in the right position, I used couple of different reference images when I modelled the elephant, and I tried to make the tail's lenght sg like average. and as I saw on the pics, the fur at the end of the tail looks like a bit weird, looks like a branch, not as typical, as a dog's tail for example.

Syrogen, Slime,Maya Ayanami: Thanks so much guys, probably I should work on the trunks a little bit more next time.

Biggyninja, Xeno: Yes, I just wanted to make something different now, not the usual topic: fantasy or robots , but I definetely know those are cool, therefore my next image will be something "traditional" .
because I'm a big of fantasy.

RobertoOrtiz, KotsVolk, E.Z. Schwartz,DL Dude: what else could I say: thanks!
www.balazskiss.com

-

Old 03 March 2003   #48
GreaT!! veRY reaLisTiC! the perfect RenDeR!

Old 03 March 2003   #49
Flag: Thanks a lot, than should I try to send my image to the ILM?.

Daolohua CnC, tayse: The calfs also have tusks, of course it depends on the age of the calfs, but here is an image what can prove, that calfs also has tusks.

neolee40: thanks mate, it was a secret project), and of course my pleasure to work with you on you short

Chappo, Jozvex: Yes, the elephants are cg "only" and part of the environment also (dusts, some branches are painted), but the background mainly photo.

Great_vertex: yes, probably you are right, but it was AE, not PS, and Did you recognise that people usually hide their work behind huge noise filters if they want to make photoreal. You are right, I should have not followed this. the 1.5k version doesn't have as much noise.

Jammin: the modeling was about a week, not more, only a couple of hours a day, after a busy day in the game bussiness. the texturing, composite was pretty much the same .
www.balazskiss.com

-

Old 03 March 2003   #50
wow... when i first saw the image I thought it was anotherone of those photofakes, but after you posted the wireframe ---> : : WOW... fantastic job!!!

Old 03 March 2003   #51
that's all I can say You've done something really great here. Nice job!

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Incredible work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame - which you are now placed

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Old 03 March 2003   #52
Hi Lildragon,

What else I can say after that: Many thanks!!

bye

ward
www.balazskiss.com

-

Old 03 March 2003   #53
Hi,

here is a making of image about the modeling and texturing, a new image coming soon about the compositing, I hope you like it,

yes, yes, I know, It's small, but here is "a bit" bigger version.
5300x1300 and 2Mbyte.

big version

bye

ward
www.balazskiss.com

-

Old 03 March 2003   #54
fantastic work! man. Love it/ Keep post the great work.

Old 03 March 2003   #55
Szia Ward!
Gratulalok a Choice Award-hoz!!! Orulok, hogy a magyarok egyre jobb alkotasokat keszitenek. Csak igy tovabb!

Old 04 April 2003   #56
that's incredible,while i was trying to open your image my
father was here and he said <wow that's unbelievable send
him a reply and tell him that it's great>.

Old 04 April 2003   #57
Hi Guys,

here is a making of image about the comositing also,

and the bigger version:
5300x1300 and 2Mbyte.

big version composite

bye

ward
www.balazskiss.com

-

Old 05 May 2003   #58
yes these are very cool, we really dont see enough of this kind of work well done,

Old 06 June 2003   #59
Beautiful images and fantastic making of , very helpful!

Old 06 June 2003   #60
i just saw this on 3dtotal....
very real...

i showed it to my dad and he doesnt believe that its CG.....

great job.......

Thread Closed share thread