Princess Dye-ku, Apt Pupil (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2003   #31
wow great stuff! some minor stuff I see though...

overall the mesh reads as a little boxy and thick to me.. people have mentioned it and i totally agree. she might look better with her proportions thinned up alot. the posed view looks awesome though so who knows? maybe it wont change her in an engine. for the front/side ortho views though she just looks kinda thick.

I agree with hanzo, the face could use little adjustments to make her look more feminine. the top of the nose is kinda wide, and the chin is on the manly side to me?

one other thing that I think would REALLY add to the final version... have you thought about removing that square helmet and just leaving her sexy hair as it is? kinda looks confusing to me to see the hair coming out of a square.. it doesnt quite read as a skull, yet it doesnt quite read as a helmet either? dont know but that might help the readibilty.

also.. have you tried making the pants see through silk with alpha, and showing the legs? might look really cool?

I havent seen too many pieces this nice.. and your concepts are awesome, someday I hope to have strong 2d like that!, great designs.

Old 03 March 2003   #32
Awesome apt. You got my vote

www.billyahlswede.com

Old 03 March 2003   #33
hey apt,

very cool work man! love the concept and the 3d, this was for the challenge on cgchat right?
i dig the colors, any chance on seeing the texture sheet, and what size of maps did you use?

http://www.junkbattles.com

Old 03 March 2003   #34
My goal is to get my concepts up to par with my models

Why? Who the F*** cares what you need to do to get to the finished state? Because Miro or Dali could not visualize 3D forms or sculpt does that make them less valuable as an aritst?!!!! do you think in 3D and you realize your vision in a computer vs. clay or rock, does that make you less of a sculpture? because you lack 2D sketching abilities does that not make you an artist?

Do what you do, be proud of it, and live by it.

Old 03 March 2003   #35
Originally posted by Monkeyfarm
Why? Who the F*** cares what you need to do to get to the finished state? Because Miro or Dali could not visualize 3D forms or sculpt does that make them less valuable as an aritst?!!!! do you think in 3D and you realize your vision in a computer vs. clay or rock, does that make you less of a sculpture? because you lack 2D sketching abilities does that not make you an artist?

You speak true words ... I´ve got nothing to add to this

but something to the model. I think its great that it has been added to the frontpage.

Old 03 March 2003   #36
Monkeyfarm --> I certainly agree with "Do what you do, be proud of it, and live by it." However, maybe I ought to explain myself a little more. I don't imaging I will always be creating (modeling, texturing) my own concepts. Therefor, if I want to be a concept artist and if I can't draw a concept that everyone in the team understands, then what's the point I would like to be multi proficient so that anyone can take up from where I leave off. I guess the way I said it before could have been easily miss understood though

Jeffo --> Hey there Jeffo. Yes this was for what you said. I used two 512 sheets but I still have to create and use their alphas. however, I will post the texture sheets once I have finished refining her just a bit.

Bahlswede --> Hey there Bahlswede, thanks bud. What happened to you, I thought you were going to enter as well?

MrHappyPants --> I will correct the proportions and move a few verts here and there for the suggested places you mentioned. Thanks. However, for the pants, I cannot make them see through because, in order to get the model down to 3500 polies, I had to delete a few things. The other side of her legs were one of them As for the helmet, hmmm, I'll look into it. I'll try and make it look more like a helmet. Thanks again.

Roach[MXF] --> Thanks. I am glad you like them. My choices fell down to number 6 and 1. I found one had more potential for originality and I ended up really liking the slit pants idea.

Solishu --> hmmm, I think I would have to correct this with the textures and not the model. I will look into it thanks.

hanzo --> Ok, will do, expecially the face, Thanks.

Eudaimic --> To be honest, I don't know what type of character she is. However, I doubt she would fit in the star wars universe As for animating, perhaps, but not in the near future. Right now I am concentrating on concepts, modeling and texturing. Animating will be the next skill I try for after I round out these three some more.

insect666 & Recycle_Me --> Thanks guys

Fredrik Hultqvist
- Online portfolio: - Magicswithin - <-- Now Under Construction
- My Cgchallenge Gallery: - Apt Pupil -
- Email: - me -

Old 03 March 2003   #37
Thanks for the feedback everyone, when I get some more time, I will start implementing them on her and post a final version. The suggestions you all made will certainly make her look much better. She will be my best piece yet (for a while).

Eudaimic --> Oh, I forgot to mention, yes, I understand about the website. Actually, I wanted to be a fantasy artist and paint fantasy things and stuff, however, things took a turn for the better, and I am now going full throttle into the gaming field. So, I will diffinatly have to reconstruct my website.

Fredrik Hultqvist

Old 03 March 2003   #38
Nice work.
But I have to tell you that you should be thinking over that face painting beneath her eyes. As they fooled me to think it was here eyes. It's only really apparent when here face is far away or the head is really small on the image. Maybe you should make it with another shape or change color or make it less dark. as it steals the attention from the eyes.

I will try to explane what I mean with the image below:

Cheers,
Joel

Old 03 March 2003   #39
hey apt,
really really nice, from sketch to model.
my only crit is that the color of the face looks overexposed to me, might be what your after though. maybe some small holes or teared corners of the "wing" to. nonetheless..

Old 03 March 2003   #40
I gave you my thoughts earlier, so you know how I feel Love the execution man. Anymore like this?

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Incredible work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame - which you are now placed

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Old 03 March 2003   #41
Originally posted by Monkeyfarm

Some companies require you to have excellent 2D skills. Just because you can't draw and you'er frustrated with that doesn't mean that it's not a very valuable skill to learn.

Old 03 March 2003   #42
Originally posted by Apt Pupil
Eudaimic --> To be honest, I don't know what type of character she is. However, I doubt she would fit in the star wars universe As for animating, perhaps, but not in the near future. Right now I am concentrating on concepts, modeling and texturing. Animating will be the next skill I try for after I round out these three some more.

I agree that she'd not fit entirely in with SW, but she does seem to have a lightstaff

Old 03 March 2003   #43
Lildragon --> Sweeet! Thanks. Nope, I got no more characters like this, but, if a certain website that starts with a C and ends with a K would have a game art challenge section, then I deffinatly would Heheh

Eudaimic --> "I agree that she'd not fit entirely in with SW, but she does seem to have a lightstaff" Heheh, ya, I guess she does I am trying to think what game she would look good in, but, I am drawing a blank. I guess SW would be the closest thing

fellah --> Hey there fellah, it's been awhile. I agree, her face is really overexposed, I had 30 minutes left to create a scene and lights for her, so I just slapped some lights here and there and handed it in. I will fix it now though, thanks. As for the wing, I take it you are refering to her side cloak, good idea, I never thought about that. I'll give it a try.

Jelo --> Oh boy, you hit a tough one there. Actually, I had problems with the face tattoo. If I made it to dark, like you said, it would steal from the eyes. However, if I made it lighter, it would pop up in front or blend with the white hair. I'll see if I can fix it though, perhaps a different color or shape like you suggested would fix this. Thanks.

Fredrik Hultqvist

Old 03 March 2003   #44
lol!

Old 03 March 2003   #45
What a beautiful piece of work Apt.But I expect that from you. 3.500 polys,well,well,well. That's even more impressive.Can you imagine what you will be able to pull off in 3 years with the XBOX 2?

Elegant design,exotic,and done in your usual top notch manner.Another winner..................

Thread Closed share thread