John Locke - LOST, Eduardo Oliden (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  03 March 2007
cool render, but John Locke was an english philosopher ishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Locke
__________________
 
  03 March 2007
Originally Posted by dickma: Well I disagree with you, Oweron.

It is not about the modern technology can do such work. Yes the technology help us a lot to create more realism. The problem is: should we appreciate that if a guy use a projection-mapping method on this and without paying efforts on techniques?

Everyone can do this to replicate that, projection mapping on a basic model, without using shaders, or drawing texture. Just use the original high-rez image and push the illumination to 100% and render without lights and shadows... and it is done. But what does it mean? How much effort is put in the work?

OK, I just feel very disappointed about some people still act as fan boys, when I raised a doubt. Where's your brain and judgement ability?




I couldn't agree with you more... nicely said... all points are important and well made.



Originally Posted by AJ_23: I agree with others here - there's simply no way (other than with additional displacement) that your model has enough detail around the mouth or lips to hold the detail you show in your finished render.

Overlaying your render with your 'source' shows that it matches almost perfectly - just with stronger lighting.




WOW!! that matches up... Identically!!! not sure if this is good or bad Thou

Love the Show!! Love the actor..
 
  03 March 2007
Originally Posted by dickma: Well I disagree with you, Oweron.

It is not about the modern technology can do such work. Yes the technology help us a lot to create more realism. The problem is: should we appreciate that if a guy use a projection-mapping method on this and without paying efforts on techniques?

Everyone can do this to replicate that, projection mapping on a basic model, without using shaders, or drawing texture. Just use the original high-rez image and push the illumination to 100% and render without lights and shadows... and it is done. But what does it mean? How much effort is put in the work?

OK, I just feel very disappointed about some people still act as fan boys, when I raised a doubt. Where's your brain and judgement ability?


Hm, I understand and agreed that. I just thought, if the guy wants to make some animation on this face (as he mentioned), it also could be just very stright texture position ( and such a "fake it" stuff is going to be very popular thanx to new crazy clone tools ). Thatīs it. But morph provided by AJ_23 looks really scary
__________________
Jr.

 
  03 March 2007
Sorry man, but if I look at the original and the mesh that you provide I think you made a "nice" photo fake.

I agree with other people here, you should post the model without the texture and in different angles and lightings.

...no photo fakes allowed in CGTalk...
 
  03 March 2007
Yeah, I'm all for using good reference, but the reference shouldn't become 90% of the final piece.
 
  03 March 2007
I plugged the image, but have removed the plug since there is a bit of questioning going on about the image's authenticity. I'll give the artist the benefit of the doubt and have emailed him to post here if he has used a projection map. Please do not attack this artist as it was my choice to plug his image. The artist is free to post other views to demonstrate that the image was not achieved through projection mapping.

-Rebeccak
__________________

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Website:
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles






 
  03 March 2007
Originally Posted by Oweron: Hm, I understand and agreed that. I just thought, if the guy wants to make some animation on this face (as he mentioned), it also could be just very stright texture position ( and such a "fake it" stuff is going to be very popular thanx to new crazy clone tools ). Thatīs it. But morph provided by AJ_23 looks really scary


I think you didn't learn from my writing, Oweron. AJ_23 has prove that it is a replicate and I don't understand why you didn't treat it as fraud.

Despite from Mr Eduardo replicating problem, his original mesh may be too simple to work on animation. I wonder if Mr John Locke is able to brink his eyes with his simple mesh.

Why I am angry about this because I don't understand why he was "frontpaged" I am also working on Hugh Laurie, "HOUSE"

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...t=430445&page=4

And I am really working from nothing to something and should CGTalk preserve a frontpage for me? because at least I work harder and smarter than Mr Eduardo.
 
  03 March 2007
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Please do not attack this artist as it was my choice to plug his image.
-Rebeccak


Thanks for posting that, Rebeccak - the guy has done nothing to deserve the gleeful baying of the wolves in this thread. Jesus, folks. Waaaay over the top by some of you.
__________________
www.philmcdarby.com
A Daily Forest
 
  03 March 2007
dickma,

Your points have been made, thank you, there's no need to continue the argument.

PMD,

No problem, I'll accept the mistake as mine if the image was created using projection mapping. Again, there's no fundamental sin in using a tool, its use just doesn't meet the criteria for a front page image, and that choice was mine and not the artist's, so there is no need for further bashing or of saying the image is fake. Let's let the artist respond.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak
__________________

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Website:
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles






 
  03 March 2007
Originally Posted by PMD: Thanks for posting that, Rebeccak - the guy has done nothing to deserve the gleeful baying of the wolves in this thread. Jesus, folks. Waaaay over the top by some of you.


I haven't seen any real "gleefull baying attacks" made. Just honest curiosity about the authenticity of the image.

Originally Posted by Rebeccak: No problem, I'll accept the mistake as mine if the image was created using projection mapping. Again, there's no fundamental sin in using a tool, its use just doesn't meet the criteria for a front page image, and that choice was mine and not the artist's, so there is no need for further bashing or of saying the image is fake.


Actually, I wasn't initially going to bring this up, because I hate making waves, but it may not be a sin to use just a tool. But there's more going on here. A rule of thumb in copyright law is holding the derivitive piece up next to the original. And if you can say it was undoubtably derived from the original, then there's an issue. Then on top of that add that if there's no mention that an artist used said reference, then there's another issue.

These could all be honest mistakes and new posts would clarify this, but there's nothing wrong with questioning it. It helps keep the forum free from infringers.

Edit: Given the guy posted images here before without incident, I'm inclined to believe this really is an honest mistake, and should be treated as such. But this is a public forum where people place their art and advertise it as their own, so these issues need to be kept in mind.
 
  03 March 2007
Originally Posted by KrakenCMT: Actually, I wasn't initially going to bring this up, because I hate making waves, but it may not be a sin to use just a tool. But there's more going on here. A rule of thumb in copyright law is holding the derivitive piece up next to the original. And if you can say it was undoubtably derived from the original, then there's an issue. Then on top of that add that if there's no mention that an artist used said reference, then there's another issue.

These could all be honest mistakes and new posts would clarify this, but there's nothing wrong with questioning it. It helps keep the forum free from infringers.

No I agree with you. I think that your points are good ones, and artists need definitely to bear them in mind.
__________________

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Website:
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles






 
  03 March 2007
Hi everybody.

I see there are a lot of polemic about my picture. Iīll try to explain.

The front part of the texture is based on the picture everybody is talking about, I canīt say nothing to that, but this is not enough for me, because Iīm planing to do an animation (working now on the facial setup) with him and in that case itīs not enough use this picture as a texture. I think that my mistake is to put the picture before finishing the animation and complete the texture so everybody can see him from more sides and with different gestures.

I understand if CGTalk has to take out the picture from the front page, If I have to be honest I didnīt thought this picture was going to be there.

Iīll keep working on the animation and post it when I finished it, so everyboy can see that the model is complete and has more work that only project a photograph on it.

Thank you

__________________
Website: http://www.3dmind.org

FINISHED WORK: Sten Portrait - Vindicator Rise
 
  03 March 2007
Sir3DMIND,

No problem, thank you for that clarification.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak
__________________

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Website:
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles






 
  03 March 2007
I don't understand some opinions in here. I respect them, of course, but some other talented and very-known artists, such Antropus, have done the same technique you're complaining on now: using a front texture map and some others to build the displacement and shader of one head model. And you all were very impressed of their skills!!! So what's the point in here? Everyone is guilty until he/she proves they are not?

In the other hand, Dickma, I think it's not professional to say this...

Quote: Why I am angry about this because I don't understand why he was "frontpaged" I am also working on Hugh Laurie, "HOUSE"

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...t=430445&page=4

And I am really working from nothing to something and should CGTalk preserve a frontpage for me? because at least I work harder and smarter than Mr Eduardo.


I'm not going to start a flame wars here, because it's not worth. But dude, seriously this is not the way to promote yourself: trying to destroy other people's work because your is not as recognized as theirs.

Next time you post a message, I suggest you to read the four points above the posting box. Specially number four Everything will work better, dude.

Salut!
 
  03 March 2007
Great portrait! The skin shader looks a bit strange but overall is amazing! You can share some details about skin shader? ****
__________________
my blog
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright Đ2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.