Frequenter

portfolio
Manuel Lopez
Character Artist
Cambridge, United Kingdom

ey Edu nice model and render
Felicidades por el frontpage

Un saludo tio

While you are doing your dream you are doing something for the our.

DWAR III Entry

Old 03-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #47
BUDATHOME
Veteran

portfolio
Bud Antonio José González Benitez
Character Modeler and Texture artist
Mercury Steam
España

Send a message via MSN to BUDATHOME
Hey, dude..congrats!!! it´s amazing ..maybe a little critic:The diference between sharpen areas and blur areas...it´s look strange.

Pero vamos, por decir algo porque está muy bien.Especialmente en cuanto al parecido porque está clavao.

Felicidades,macho,eres un maquina.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:47 AM   #48
Guanny
Veteran

portfolio
Daniel Moreno Diaz
Character Artist
Ilion Animation Studios
Madrid, España

Hey!

Great work mate, I can´t wait to see the facial animation.
¡Congrats for this front page!

Que pacha tron, ¿como molas no?. Esta muy guapo tio, se parece mogollon.
Le falta el toquecillo del skin shader ,ya sabes... yo siempre con el tema shaders, je, je.

Un abrazo

Sumo

Vampirella

-----------------
Daniel Moreno

Old 03-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #49
SafeZone
Evan
United States Minor Outlying Islands

I may be new here, but that render is so realistic it blows my mind,
only thing is the extreme similarity it has to that photograph karkadan posted it makes me wonder how difficult it would be to photoshop that photograph and make the same image...

then again maybe i dont know what im talking about...I'm only a recent (2 yrs) hobbyist, not a professional

Old 03-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #50
dickma
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dick Ma
/
/
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to dickma Send a message via AIM to dickma Send a message via MSN to dickma Send a message via Yahoo to dickma
I have doubts about that.

Sorry if I am wrong.

Compare to your existing render and the wire mesh provided, I think the wire mesh is too simplified, I notice there is no hard edge creases between the cheeks and the mouth area, or the lips are too flat in your wire mesh. I can expect the Turbosmooth or Meshsmooth result will not be too detail like the one in render. Unless you have Zbrush used to enhance the details or the texture is just a projection.

Still I have doubts about it and I need more evidence to prove that you create this image, like a displacement map. Otherwise I think it is a fraud.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #51
MarcGoecke
Starfleet Cpt.

portfolio
Marc Daniel Goecke
2D/3D-Artist
Hamburg, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to MarcGoecke

Wow! That's great! I did recognize him even on the thumbnail.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #52
Karkadan
Veteran
abuloo
athyns, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrakenCMT
Good likeness and fairly accurate model, but how much of the "realness" is from the texture and shading already present in the original photo? Your lighting scheme is almost identical to the photo. And the texture map looks like it was added straight on from the photo with front projection mapping. It's even the same angle. I'd be much more impressed if you could do a render from another angle and the model was just as good. Still, well done.

Again good technical efforts...

But I agree with what you are saying totally, if you have done a projection, it will be difficult to move the camera...!!! and thats not a good way to re create a portrait, u are really just using the original image, it is just a technical solution when you need to have a quick look to match up with an original seen.

also I can see clearly where you have attached Bump textures... Sharp image verses the base image or the original photo. So I would say, not artistically impressive, Just a Quick old technical way to have an images created using the original as a foundation to build on ... so this is NOT an impression or anything creatively new, also the fact that LOST is a Big show, that I love.... and the actor in the image is one of the Key people on the show, I think your not allowed to use such a high profiled image and say it is a creation... I would say, Change the lights, change the angle , and really let it look different from the original image on the net, unless you have taken that shot your self and have full rights to use it.

Good luck!!

Old 03-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #53
dickma
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dick Ma
/
/
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to dickma Send a message via AIM to dickma Send a message via MSN to dickma Send a message via Yahoo to dickma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkadan
Again good technical efforts...

But I agree with what you are saying totally, if you have done a projection, it will be difficult to move the camera...!!! and thats not a good way to re create a portrait, u are really just using the original image, it is just a technical solution when you need to have a quick look to match up with an original seen.

also I can see clearly where you have attached Bump textures... Sharp image verses the base image or the original photo. So I would say, not artistically impressive, Just a Quick old technical way to have an images created using the original as a foundation to build on ... so this is NOT an impression or anything creatively new, also the fact that LOST is a Big show, that I love.... and the actor in the image is one of the Key people on the show, I think your not allowed to use such a high profiled image and say it is a creation... I would say, Change the lights, change the angle , and really let it look different from the original image on the net, unless you have taken that shot your self and have full rights to use it.

Good luck!!

You have a better eyesight than me, Karkadan.

Yes, it is meaningless to use a projection by creating this image, and not by starting it from nothing. I think it is violated the CGS rules.

Can a moderator help us to prove it is an original creation?

Old 03-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #54
brro
brro wildstar

portfolio
ebrahim tawil
cg artist
artware corp
Syrian Arab Republic

from brro

wonderful man[img]images/icons/icon13.gif[/img][img]images/icons/icon13.gif[/img][img]images/icons/icon13.gif[/img]....i think the t-shirt is too thick...the bump is high too..may be you should give the bump map a little bit of blur....i think the white light is high ( give it some color like some yellow )....in the end you have talents my friend[img]images/icons/icon10.gif[/img][img]images/icons/icon13.gif[/img].

Old 03-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #55
Arrrgh4life
Imagination Plantations

portfolio
Paul Holmes
Bigeastern
Americaville, USA

Send a message via AIM to Arrrgh4life Send a message via Yahoo to Arrrgh4life
Wow! Looks really good, especialy the hair. Just whats up with all the John Lockes we have been seing latley. He seems to be a pretty popular character to model or paint.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #56
thedoc
theQore

portfolio
Nqobizitha Mlilo
Digital Artist & Animator
the Enqore media group
Harare, Zimbabwe

Send a message via MSN to thedoc Send a message via Yahoo to thedoc
very nice... the likeness is excellent. you get five stars from me... he looks a little pale though.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #57
JurajMolcak
Jr.

portfolio
Juraj Molcak
visual artist
Slovakia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickma
You have a better eyesight than me, Karkadan.

Yes, it is meaningless to use a projection by creating this image, and not by starting it from nothing. I think it is violated the CGS rules.

Can a moderator help us to prove it is an original creation?

Well, maybe moderators wanted to focus on this, that´s why this one is plugged. But there is one bigger issue with all your doubts - you can see what I mean in new ZBrush 3 video... Very soon, there will be tons of such a "highly" created images. That is the way our tools are developing. Cheers

Edit: And, to be honest, I don´t want to jump on that train. Better to use my canvas, acrylic and brushes than...

Old 03-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #58
dickma
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dick Ma
/
/
London, United Kingdom

Well I disagree with you, Oweron.

It is not about the modern technology can do such work. Yes the technology help us a lot to create more realism. The problem is: should we appreciate that if a guy use a projection-mapping method on this and without paying efforts on techniques?

Everyone can do this to replicate that, projection mapping on a basic model, without using shaders, or drawing texture. Just use the original high-rez image and push the illumination to 100% and render without lights and shadows... and it is done. But what does it mean? How much effort is put in the work?

OK, I just feel very disappointed about some people still act as fan boys, when I raised a doubt. Where's your brain and judgement ability?

Old 03-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #59
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

I agree with others here - there's simply no way (other than with additional displacement) that your model has enough detail around the mouth or lips to hold the detail you show in your finished render.

Overlaying your render with your 'source' shows that it matches almost perfectly - just with stronger lighting.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #60
drummer
bunburying

portfolio
Marco Menco
Modeller
Weta Digital
Wellington, New Zealand

Send a message via ICQ to drummer Send a message via MSN to drummer
amazing rendering!
keep it up bro!

Marco