Bad To The Bone, Kosta Atanasov (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2007   #1
Bad To The Bone, Kosta Atanasov (3D)

Title: Bad To The Bone
Name: Kosta Atanasov
Software: 3ds max, Photoshop, VRay, ZBrush

Hey guys! This work is from the beginning of 2006, and I actually wanted to show it when the whole movie is completed, but since I don’t have much time to work on it it seems clear that there’s no sense to wait. This is the main character for my graduation flick at the university, which unfortunately is still in a near initial state (I mean the short movie, not the university or the graduation). I have already graduated, but with another animation – a short pseudo-cutout (I have posted it on my website as well). The work pipeline I used on this is: Low poly modeling and UWV unwrap in 3D studio Max, detail and textures in Zbrush and Photoshop, and mid poly with normal maps import in Max again. It’s rendered in V-ray, as the whole movie would be when completed.

In short, the whole idea of the “Bad To The Bone” movie-to-be is that bikers, aside from looking mean with all the sculls, black leather and spikes are actually nice normal people, that not everything that glitters is gold and vice versa – not everything that is gold, glitters. I’ve decided to name the character Bad for contrast. Here’s some more info about him:

Bad is a true old school biker. A lone wolf, he loves to ride alone – he doesn’t need anyone else. On his scarred face you can rarely see emotion – the one thing that changes his stone expression is the rare squeezing of the eyes, the slow movement of the heavy eyebrows as they drop even lower. He has the hardcore macho aura, and never, ever smiles. His passion for motorcycles, for the smell of gasoline and burning tire can only be compared to the love of leather clothes and sculls, with which he decorates every possible thing – starting from his bike, the belt, the boots, the tattoos, to the rings on his hands – he LOVES sculls. Looking mean, acting tough, inside he is truly a nice guy – but he never allows for others to know that. He is content with the world thinking that he is the “Bad and mean biker”. He doesn’t show that he cares about anything, and doesn’t let anything crack his stone cold attitude. He is the personification of the word Badass – if there is a "Badass Biker Association", than Bad is its president.

For some additional concept and stills from the movie, as well as more detailed description check the thread at my website here:

http://www.kostaatanasov.com/pop_load_image.php?iId=9&mode=3

For a somewhat low quality presentation of the model with some stills and concept from the movie check it out at youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFUtPPvOyMg

Thanx for viewing my work guys, I'd really like to know what do you think

Old 02 February 2007   #2
Nice design, nice work, nice color.

Dominance War 4

My Blog
My website

Old 02 February 2007   #3
I really really like it, great work.
too bad there's no environment.
bye

Old 02 February 2007   #4
Nica job man!

I like your model and the details on the models.

Your rander is quite realistic. For that reason; your model looks like a toy reather than a CG animation character. Maybe you should render this scene a little bit less realistic and add some environment . ( as it was mentioned before )

Greate character and texturing .. Well done!

Best Regards;

Ozioz

Old 02 February 2007   #5
thanx guys! Ozioz, actually the toy look is exactly what I was going for, the whole world will be created and rendered in that manner so it looks toy-ish. Or so I hope, this has yet to be achieved

Old 02 February 2007   #6
I like this character! Very funny!
Awesome texture work and modeling!!
Congratulations!!

Visit my Kerry Dancer - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=448778&highlight=kerry

Old 02 February 2007   #7
My duaghter and I really like it. Great modeling and texture. If I had to point one thing out it would be the depth of field is too strong. Really, really good job.
edcorusa.cgsociety.org

Old 02 February 2007   #8
Thumbs up

its so nice...

Old 02 February 2007   #9
very cool character! hum...

Old 02 February 2007   #10
Wow

Great model & render. I very much like the toy'ish look on this. One very small thing I noticed though ( minute in fact ); his eyebrows are on top of his bandana?

Old 02 February 2007   #11
Excellent work! I love that toy-like style.

Old 02 February 2007   #12
Just ugly - 5 stars!

Old 02 February 2007   #13
Awesome ,why isn`t at the front page ?

Old 02 February 2007   #14
Fabulous work. I really like the style. 5*

Old 02 February 2007   #15
Thumbs up

Yo ma maaan! That is simply great my friend but you should know that! I have told you this many times before but I'll never get tired to repeat it over and over again! Awesome piece!

Cheers
Svetlin

Thread Closed share thread