Alien Creature Concept, Julian Jeremy Johnson-mortimer (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2006   #46
I love them all.You have a very cool style...

Take care

Old 05 May 2006   #47
Awesome character, It's one of the best if ever seen!

Old 05 May 2006   #48
there's something in your chracter;s eyes that i have never seen in any of the 3d i've see so far.

Old 05 May 2006   #49
Originally Posted by Raul-Reznek: there's something in your chracter;s eyes that i have never seen in any of the 3d i've see so far.

I'll second that. The crying image is amazing, it actually has some soul to it. Really impressive.

Old 05 May 2006   #50
Looks like Kevin Bacin

Pretty cool work.
The first one reminds me of Kevin Bacon!

Old 05 May 2006   #51
excellent . good luck

Old 05 May 2006   #52
Awesome stuff!! Excellent Job. I like the 3rd pic especially. It has some really great creepyness to it.

Is it just me or does that first pic look in some weird alien like way resemble Kevin Beacon? Was this intentional, or a happy accedent? Just curious.

Old 05 May 2006   #53
man i love your style, really great images and animation. 5*

Old 05 May 2006   #54
Simply Amazing...

Didn't even have to look at the name of the poster to know who did this. You have a real signature in the characters you do...they are all completely different but have the same depth of expression.
Gotta be the eyes!

Kudos and please keep them coming.

Rob

Old 05 May 2006   #55
Great stuff. I like the third one the most, it has the most character for me. You definitely have a way with shading. You have some great work about by the way.

Old 05 May 2006   #56
The second and third images are superB! The first image needs more work.The chest looks very strange and I don't like the texture.Overall 4 stars,and I don't give 4 stars away that fast!

Old 05 May 2006   #57
Hello there. sorry for taking a while to reply. been busy with some work.

thanks everyone for your Great comments

I'll try to answer your questions

Quote:
ivanisavich = The first pic doesn't really do it for me....but holy mother of mystery the 2nd and 3rd pics (particularly the 2nd) look freaking insane!!! The shading on the 2nd pic is fantastic. Looks like a photo

Also one thing I've noticed in all 3 is that the eyes look great and full of life/character....nice attention to detail there.

Thanks it's interesting for me that most people are not to keen on the first image i can never tell what people will like, its my favourite

As for the eyes. I have spent a long time over the years making my own eye shaders and slowly improving them. if you can get life in the eyes your half way there. I must admit for stills I do sometimes tweak the eyes in Photoshop adding shadowing and tweaking the highlights.

Quote:
Per-Anders = Looks great. Can we see a scene setup on the second image? The shadow on that one does make it look a little flat/composited rather than 3d.

thanks Per-Anders. some of the shadowing is faked by using a depth map and overlaying it to draw your attention to the face, also depth is inverted and soft light to try bring out the face

Quote: Intervain = really like the second one - the first one doesn't work for me either...

each to his own Intervain

Quote: AtrusDni = WOW!!! Yeah i would have to agree, although I enjoy the first picture a lot, I think the 2nd and 3rd pictures looks the most realistic. Very Impressive work. Wires please? Also since this was made with ZBrush as well, could you post some screens of the high rez sculpt? Also, could you share the techniques used for the light setup?

Thank AtrusDni,

I will upload some wires, they all share the same reused a old head mesh.
I'll take a few screen shots of the zbrush heads. their not to detailed, quick sketches if you can call them that.

lighting. using hdr based lighting, with final gather and some point lights . stills are rendered out in passes for compositing and tweaking in Photoshop.

Quote:
ssalo = I must say I liked the first one most because of its very interesting lighting.

Arrrghalife = I think I might be the first to say this, but I like the first pick most. Its got awsome charactor, Its incredably well detailed, and those ear tenticle things are sweet. Awsome.

THANKS JOIN THE GANG !!

Quote:
zaki79 = great works there Julian, but You could have placed these images in 3 separate threads -one per week/month in order to gain even more "points" as a great CG artist

THANKS zaki 79. I rarely post my work on forums, because I work quite long hours and can't really contribute enough to the forums myself. I update my website now and then with new work. so people can find if they want.

Quote: ThirdEye = Julian, haven't heard you for a while (hope you remember me ) but i lost your contact in a hdd format. Send it back to me via cgtalk pm if you want, crazy stuff you got here, very very well done!

Hello ThirdEye nice to hear from you again hope things are going well. I'll send you a private message in case you don't check back here.

Quote: PixelTales = Is it just me or does that first pic look in some weird alien like way resemble Kevin Beacon? Was this intentional, or a happy accedent? Just curious.

LOL Thx can't see him in there myself, were call it a happy accident

GoranNF = The second and third images are superB! The first image needs more work.The chest looks very strange and I don't like the texture.Overall 4 stars,and I don't give 4 stars away that fast!

Thx GoranNF all these characters were quick tests. I modelled about 10 in the same day and picked out the 7 I liked to make the beauty shots

I left the chest the way it was because I liked it.

they all have different displacement and colours maps but they all share the same bump and spec maps to save time.

i've attached some more shots. and a Reject picture i tried putting the other guy behind bars as well. it did not work plus people might think i'm going mad putting everything behind bars.

uploaded a few screen shots, sorry i never saved most of the Zbrush scenes

thanks again for your comment

Old 05 May 2006   #58
Smile

Old 05 May 2006   #59
superb work, fantastic detail.

Old 05 May 2006   #60
Smile Fantastic!

Fantastic!

The skin of your character is the most realistic that i've seen, the wax effect is perfect!

Great work like ever!

Thread Closed share thread