Endless Rain, Cwb (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2003
Incredible job you did here, to me it's *almost* a flawless piece as far as the subject matter goes, the only thing that bothers me is the right hand, the deformations look a bit *crumpled* for a better choice of words, but the overall piece is very well deserving.

You have received the CGtalk choice award . Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Congrats again.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame - when it becomes available

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

01 January 2003
Whos that girl?.. Shes ur girlfriend?.. If not, THEN GIVE ME HER NUMBER!!!

man, seriously that is awesome man!

01 January 2003
>>>Or are you going to accuse Bay Raiit and the other Artists at Weta along with peter Jackson and the bunch of knocking off gollum's design from Ralph Bakshi's horrible animated film.

Actually I thought they successfully took the Gollum character in a new direction and less reptilian an dnot a knock off of the Animted version...check out the CineFex article they talk about this alot in there.

>>I give the artist praise for the simple fat that he did such a nice job of replicating the image

Compare the two images side by side.. the original emotes a level of pain and anguish and those important details if the goal was to reproduce were left out.. details such as the piercings and the sweat. the skin has no tonality.. look the original's knuckles.. they ar etense.. the hands themselves say pain. In this one the hair looks like a bad wig.

I just didn't realise that copying works of art could be given such high praise but maybe all people care about is technical demostrations and therefore end justifies the means...

most importnatly this would all be moot if the work had been titled "ode to Royo".

01 January 2003
You can get an award for copying someones work and not crediting them? Wow.

Kane
:shame:

01 January 2003
Quote: Originally posted by HieSpike
You can get an award for copying someones work and not crediting them? Wow.

Kane
:shame:

Say what now? Am I missing something?

01 January 2003
>>>While it would be fine to do a little policing if this were an obvious fraud or infringement upon someone else's copyright, this falls into a VERY gray area

I think this is a valid issue for discussion and this image has brought the issue to the foreground.

Here is a very relevant article on art , copyrights and fair use.

http://culturalpolicy.uchicago.edu/conf1999/landes.html

Personally I find it offensive that the author of this image did not and has not given credit to Royo. It may have been out of naiveness on his part which is very likely and there really is no harm done but it should be clear that if you want to copy something give proper credit.

In regards to this image.. I doubt that it will effect Royo's sale of his book but he may not appreciate it if this guy starts selling posters of it on Razzle or for that matter copyrighting as he has on Raph.

I cannot speak for Royo but I wonder how any of you would feel if you saw a knock off of your work being posted around the net without credit? They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery but only if those who are impressed know who is being flattered.

01 January 2003
Quote: Originally posted by lildragon
Say what now? Am I missing something?

Lil, did you read the thread?

01 January 2003
No actually read the first page and skimmed thru it, but I'm reading it now.

salud

01 January 2003
Quote: Originally posted by gmask
[B
Personally I find it offensive that the author of this image did not and has not given credit to Royo. It may have been out of naiveness on his part which is very likely and there really is no harm done but it should be clear that if you want to copy something give proper credit.

[/B]

I totally agree, but he is rather young, so I would guess that it is out of being niave rather then trying to take credit for it. Most young artist start out by copying other styles to make there own. (but that is why thier not professionals) I think your just being a little hard on him. *just me 2 cents*

ps.- he did say he copied it from Royo on the first page. I think the problem is he can't speak english to well.

01 January 2003
hmm ACFred made a good point on the bottom of page 4, I mean it's heavily influenced yes and he should've gave credit where it's due, but you can't deny it's a great piece of work.. hmm I'm also thinking about the highend judges over at Raph's, those gents aren't so keen on placing any art on the site, matter of fact they're extremely tough and picky... I'll look into this further, but if you all are getting hot and bothered over the fact he didn't credit Luis Royo, let's wait and see what he has to say in his defence. Rest your pitchforks and torches down for a bit, let's hear him out first yah?

salud

01 January 2003
I agree that he did a great job....and Raph is a hard site to get on. Oh well......cest la vie.

Just one thing....You guys consider 24 to be young?

peace,
Kane

01 January 2003
Re: :>

Whoa! this has really kicked off a bit!

Anyway, from the first page of this thread..

Quote: Originally posted by cwb
:> so sorry ! my friend. I forgot it.

I like luis royo painting very much, The woman body is best

nice in this world.

so I do it . finished it for my girl friend .

but she was left me and go to England study.

..now maybe I'm reading/interpreting this differently to everyone else, but I'd say he's said here that he likes the Luis Royo painting and 'so I do it'.

Anyway, still love it,

[DTZ]

01 January 2003
Re: Re: :>

Quote: Originally posted by [DTZ]
Whoa! this has really kicked off a bit!

Anyway, from the first page of this thread..

..now maybe I'm reading/interpreting this differently to everyone else, but I'd say he's said here that he likes the Luis Royo painting and 'so I do it'.

Anyway, still love it,

[DTZ]

Not sure how your reading it but seeing as how this persons english isn't 100% I take it to mean he was inspired by the image and tried to recreate it. And a terrific job he did

01 January 2003
where is cwb?

where is cwb?

01 January 2003
cwb your work kicks ass.
I like your tiger better though.

To the people who are attacking cwb for not crediting the artist who inspired him I think you should ease off a bit.
He's from china and the copyright laws there are almost none existant. (or so I have heard, correct me if im wrong) Now this isn't an excuse for him, but I think I'm bringing another point into this issue that should be looked into.

I feel im going to get flamed for this.

Later
Rudity

Thread Closed share thread