Workshop, Raphael Lacoste / Ubisoft (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2006
Prince of Persia is the best game ever...... and this pic WHoaaaaa...............
Could you answer this question for me.....
Were all the cut scenes in PoP two thrones animated and rendered in 3ds Max or were they rendered in another prog...? There are many rumors but i wnt to know for sure.....

01 January 2006
Great work as always. Nice lighting and colours. Has an awesome atmosphere.

01 January 2006
congrats! You found my inspiration, Piranese
My director gave me a book ( big size one with all Black and white inks) this guy did impressive work, so interesting scaling-wise.

best.

raf.

Originally Posted by andreasrocha: Raphael

In one word...perfect. The analogy with Piranesi's prisons is right on spot. These days I don't have time to play computer games, but seeing the amount of wonderful artwork done for this game (also at conceptart.org), I don't care about the game. The artwork alone is worthy of a great artbook.

About the image, you captured the ambience really well. All those nooks and crannies (probably mispelled) really make the viewer "explore" the image (almost like the game)! You really managed to immerse the viewer into your image. The balance of light and shadow is also wonderful. The little details also spice up the image: ropes, debris, ladders. The three things I like most: 1. that thing in the back to the left which you can't really make out, but really looks interesting 2. the wooden structure above really rocks 3. the dungeon below left

Congratulations on a job well done!

PS Disregard "descoiatorul"'s remark and praise "Dezz"'s commentary

01 January 2006
It was All rendered, modeled, textured, animated in XSI

Originally Posted by carlsden: Prince of Persia is the best game ever...... and this pic WHoaaaaa...............
Could you answer this question for me.....
Were all the cut scenes in PoP two thrones animated and rendered in 3ds Max or were they rendered in another prog...? There are many rumors but i wnt to know for sure.....

01 January 2006
I agree with you, the foreground need more work, maybe because I was concentrated on the bottom of the door, where is supposed to be action, focus on animated parts of the sequence

best

Originally Posted by Ernest Burden: Another take on Piranesi's Prisons. Quite well done, you've added a direct light source within the space which adds quite a lot. Would you say that you got the more painterly feel by your 3D work or is that the part done in photoshop?

The composition is good except you need more foreground to support the steps. There isn't any emotional space to allow you into the picture before hitting the steps. Either that or crop it up so the steps are the way in, so you don't see them land. That's minor, otherwise quite good. But we can all see that.

01 January 2006
Originally Posted by El Rafo: congrats! You found my inspiration, Piranese

I've been working on a series of drawings re-doing the Prisons, so its material I am very familiar with. In this case I'm drawing, but would like to do 3D work as well.

There was an animation done a while back--maybe 8 years or more--that recreated one of Le Carcieri (Prisons) plates as a 3D environment and moved around inside it. It was amazing work, even by today's standards. I think it was done in Canada. The only place to find it that I know of is in a PBS series with cellist Yo Yo Ma, who is seen playing a Bach Suite in the prison. Really amazing.

As is your piece. After posting the comments about cropping I wondered to what extent is the piece a frame from animation, and therfore the composition isn't locked to the image you posted?

01 January 2006
Great job, feeling the heat.

01 January 2006
cool i love this game, very love .

01 January 2006
Really an inspiring piece, impressive, congrats

01 January 2006
Talking

Oh i forget... can you put a wire... pleaseeeeeeeee

01 January 2006
You guys are all so amazing at combining function with beauty. Great piece!!

01 January 2006
Amazing. Your other piece in the the finished gallery is worth pluggin IMO as well.

01 January 2006
very nice work

01 January 2006
Love the lighting and over all mood to the image.

01 January 2006
I can remember Priince of Persia being known as technically excellent back in the Atari ST / Amiga days. Having played the newer versions on the PS2 and XBox it is great to see that reputation remains intact.

This is such a great image - you have a very distinctive style!

Thread Closed share thread