Yacht, Sidewing (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2002
Lildragon - Thank you so very much Lildragon! I really am speachless to receive this award!
I will definately use this on my website...

Torbjorn - Yes I made the water as well. As a matter fact the whole thing (yacht and ocean) are animated and will be used for the animation that will be shown on the Ft. Lauderdale tradeshow.

Aje - Thank you much for your time to point out these important issues! I totally agree with the spec. I acually almost put spec all the way down when I use raytracing (or HS) because spec doesn't really excist. What about if I put raytracing little up and change lighting slightly? "Drop ambient lighting" Yep it is too much. Was set to 10 percent and a backlight was too much. Good eye!

Dotpainter - I know what you mean with the caustics on the water. There is but the scuds and displacements there might make it fade or even dissapear. I could turn down the luminosity of the scuds.

In general - This was actually not designed to become a still image but rather an animation for that trade show. With all these great pointers however I'm sure that it will look much better! The due date is Januari 10th so I wll post that new animation on the site. The animation will be done together with my business partner Phil. So He will get then credits for this as well.

Thanks again for all!!!

John

11 November 2002
The image is really fantastic... Though I do agree that it seems a bit smaller scale-wise than it should.

Maybe you could try putting in a bit more churning water along the width of the hull and out the back... dunno if that would help, but it's something that I feel is missing... but I could be wrong.. heh

really look great tho... Tried some boats and water a few years back and they didn't look like this.. heh

-J

11 November 2002
Great water and great lighting. My only comment in addition to what others have said would be to make the texture on the bottom of the ship a little darker, or possibly a different reflectance value for the area which would be wet from the water spray.

11 November 2002
Oh my gosh . . .

People on these boards never cease to amaze me.

11 November 2002
sidewing - do you mind if I ask where you are located? I looked at your website and it doesn't give any location info...

You can email me if you like at slooper@kitchensinkstudios.com

Thanks!

11 November 2002
VirtueGraphics
1820 East Bell de Mar 146
Tempe, AZ 8523
www.VirtueGraphics.com

It's in their press release section...

11 November 2002
Thx m8! I'm in Phoenix - not too far from Tempe

11 November 2002
Thanks for reminding me about my address...

Almost forgot. Hope that someone from the yachting magazines will use this press-release. You never know...

John

11 November 2002
Well well well

Lookin good bro...lomg time no speak...call me..or email me your # again I no longer remember it cause it has been so long....wanna come over for thanksgiving

TULS

11 November 2002
Hiya,

Really cool, but something really bothers my eyes.

Please take a look at the second picture. There are min. 2 lightsource which can be seen! One of them is emitting from left of the nose line of the boat, the one which is casting shadows. That is the Sun, I guess which (at this position if the shadows are so long) could be a bit orange or yellowish, just a bit.

But that's not that important than the second Sunlight (which is white as well, maybe?) and lits from the front and reflects on the water! It shouldn't be there! In nature scenes there should be only one lightsource which causes specularity IMHO, which is the Sun, and the others only diffuse. Do you see what I mean?

One more thing; add a little blooming to very lit parts. I don't know LW, but I'm sure there is a post-render effect like that.

In overall, very nice job, great modelling, good attention to detail!
-xyth

01 January 2003
uhm

to... give a referencer in you image without changing to much..so you can guess how big the boat is

make a.... how do you call it in english..

a thing that is in the water and floats..with a light on it..

it would suit the inveroment..caus of the islands.. must be hard for ships..and i dont see any light tower..

so make a thing in the water

01 January 2003
a thread from the past resurfaces to haunt us....

:D

ps. buoy

....::www.yellow-submarine.org::....

01 January 2003
This is very nice! The water is definately closest to photoreal

01 January 2003
Thank you for the compliment!

We just finished our new animation and can be downloaded on our site. Hope you like it.

It was made for the Amsterdam and Ft. Lauderdale tradeshow.

John

01 January 2003
That's a great model dude!! fantastic! awesome!!

Thread Closed share thread