Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-14-2002, 05:14 AM   #61
peterpro
lightwave freelancer

Supervisor/Animator for Feature Films, Tv, and award winning video games

Send a message via ICQ to peterpro
looks really nice.

one thing that always bugs me is when geometry looks wrong.

the only peice of geometry that looks wrong to me is the piping under the large water conatiner, they bend strangely to me.

In Cg, making something look real means all the things we expect have to be in the picture. When even one wrong detail catches our eye, and this is true more for stills than for say a shot in a movie doesn't match what we expect in real life, a part of the supension of disbelief is blown.
Most people would not notice it in a movie as it flys by so fast.
IT's in stills that detail has to be more exacting.

An artist always has to make a call on comments like the one i'm making now.
Ultimatly you gotta look at it and decide..
Would pipes bend like that? does it look believable?

For me, good cg is cg that blends all the elements seamlessly.
Thats not an easy task. However, you've done alot of that.

So i think the tubes under the water container need to be reworked, tracks need to be added to the second crane, and also to distrurb the ground by the tracks to help sell it even more compeletly.
=)

nice work.

Old 11-14-2002, 05:19 AM   #62
peterpro
lightwave freelancer

Supervisor/Animator for Feature Films, Tv, and award winning video games

Send a message via ICQ to peterpro
hmm i think i didn't exactly describe the problem with the tubes on the water tower.. here it is again.
after looking at them again, its not the bending, they conform to the tower fine. it's the thickness.
they flatten out once under the tower.
they should retian their roundness.. but whatever i'm assuming you scaled and bent them instead of doing some sort of rail function.. or if you did a rail function, you kept the orientaion or something..
try remaking the tubes so that they keep their volume. =)

thats what i meant when i was saying they don't bend right.. sorry for not being clearer. =)

Old 11-14-2002, 07:16 AM   #63
eunuchbot
Frequenter

portfolio
Paul WK Sucharski
3D Modeler
Nomadic Agency
Carson, USA

Send a message via MSN to eunuchbot
Eklettica, I didn't mean it like that, I meant that if you were going for realism in the pic, than you should have worried more about the lighting and rendering than the post. I don't mean to come off like I know everything (I've been a maxer for less than a year), but I've been an artist all my life and I know looks right and its not grain!! all that does is flatten it. Realism comes from your objects popping outa the page not staying 2d and flat. Which reminds me, the latter images you posted looked much cooler! I hope I've helped...

Old 11-14-2002, 11:56 AM   #64
Baldasseroni
Che succhio ...

portfolio
Alessandro Baldasseroni
Character Artist
Blur Studio
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via MSN to Baldasseroni

PeterPro : Yes you are right, the pipes under the tank should mantein thei roundness,actually they have an elliptical section i did not remember the sequence of actions which took me to model them in this way.Probably i even knew in my mind that they were not correctly modelled, and to be honest they don't even have any function, but i decided that in the global looking of the model they were not so problematic, anyway yours is a good observation
The others models are even full of invented details (i did not follow specific blueprints to build them) so i could expect tons of observation like yours on other elements, but it's very subjective in my point of view...it's certain that an expert of mechanic would demolish my whole set of models, but to be functionally accurate was not one of the goals in modelling them.

Eunuchbot : it seems quite clear (at least to me) that the main pic with the whole set of elements does not want to be photorealistic at all.I just wanted to give it a bit of illustrative looking, so grain and colour desaturation were two espedients to obtain this...yes, you are right they probably flattened the image making it not photorealistic at all and much similar to a book illustration...but i repeat : i do wanted to obtain that for that specific pic.

Personal portfolio

Facebook page

Character modeling for production DVD

Old 11-14-2002, 01:13 PM   #65
Frank Dodd
The Rookie

Other Other
Programming

Send a message via ICQ to Frank Dodd
Outstanding cinema quality work, I also took a look at 'The Hunt' which is another tremendous Cinematic piece of work, extreamly detailed and very reminiscent of Star Wars.

Keep it up

Old 11-14-2002, 01:22 PM   #66
Skyraider3D
Flying Dutchman

portfolio
Ronnie Olsthoorn
Lead Artist
freelance

USAF >>> USAAF

Nice pix. Bit too much Photoshop noise though. Models and textures are very nice.

Just one thing I like to point out: the text "USAF" is wrong. The "US Air Force" wasn't formed until 1946. Before that time it was called the "US Army Air Force", thus "USAAF". Just a minor thingy I noticed

I liked the trailer a lot by the way. The aircraft was doing some crazy stuff that would make it crash instantly, and the smoke effects need some work, but other than that I love it. The Kingfisher model especially is really sweet I would like to see a seperate render of that if possible?

Old 11-14-2002, 03:47 PM   #67
CEE-GEE
Veteran

portfolio
Marco Spitoni
Previs Artist
Weta Digital Ltd
New Zealand

Hi Skyrider,
yes I know that most probably, altough my efforts, the Kingfisher is doing some gravity defeating stuff, and it would maybe break its wing off or whatever. I must admit that I'm not a WWII expert, despite "Code Guardian" 's concept.
Giovanni Bianchin, who's modelling the aircrafts http://web.tiscali.it/giobianco/
it's a WWII theme enthusiast, and he's giving me consulence during production. You will might find other "weird" stuff in the final movie ; just because I'm trying to give the overall feeling, while paying a lot of attention to the spectacular aspect of the movie.
By the way; I'm trying to respect the historical references as close as possible

The Kingfisher model, is almost a low poly mesh, because it was conceived for long distance shots. But at the end, it have been used even for closer shots, seeing that it has a good detail.
By the way, I don't know if Giovanni will post a render of the single aircraft...

Meanwhile, thanks for your suggestions ^_^

Old 11-14-2002, 05:38 PM   #68
Abraham
Everlasting noob

Abraham
Lyon, France

First of all, congratulation for your very nice work, those are really nice models and well, I cannot add a lot to what was already said by people much more qualified than I'm

Now, I've a little question, I know you work in a domain where time is short and you probably don't have a lot of spare time to answer questions but se hai un po di tempo per rispondermi, sarebbe molto genoroso . My question is, could you post a close up or two of the wireframe with the meshsmooth at 0 iterations of the two zones I cercled in your picture ? I really try very hard to reach the result you have (I'm using g-max but the tools are the same as in max for that ), I've spent more than two days on that before asking you, but her, I reached the limit of my little brain If you cannot or don't have time but someone else can show me a similar part, pretty please

Ab

Old 11-14-2002, 07:57 PM   #69
Baldasseroni
Che succhio ...

portfolio
Alessandro Baldasseroni
Character Artist
Blur Studio
Los Angeles, USA

Et voila !

hope this could be of some help.

Ciao, Ale

Personal portfolio

Facebook page

Old 11-14-2002, 08:02 PM   #70
Abraham
Everlasting noob

Abraham
Lyon, France

Grazie, grazie mille Sono cosi contento, ho provato, veramente provato ma non avevo torvato la soluzione Many, many, thanks, I will do my little remake now Ab

Old 11-15-2002, 01:58 AM   #71
eunuchbot
Frequenter

portfolio
Paul WK Sucharski
3D Modeler
Nomadic Agency
Carson, USA

Send a message via MSN to eunuchbot
Quote:
Eunuchbot : it seems quite clear (at least to me) that the main pic with the whole set of elements does not want to be photorealistic at all.I just wanted to give it a bit of illustrative looking, so grain and colour desaturation were two espedients to obtain this...yes, you are right they probably flattened the image making it not photorealistic at all and much similar to a book illustration...but i repeat : i do wanted to obtain that for that specific pic.

I guess I was looking at it in another way... as an illustration it's awesome, I could see that as a magazine cover. sorry for miss understanding. I hope to see more on it soon

Old 11-15-2002, 04:39 PM   #72
Baldasseroni
Che succhio ...

portfolio
Alessandro Baldasseroni
Character Artist
Blur Studio
Los Angeles, USA

eunuchbot : It's ok, there's no need for you to apologize

Ale

Personal portfolio

Facebook page

Old 08-29-2003, 12:29 PM   #73
hometime
Viewer

portfolio
Don Gray
Wyoming, USA

Striking composition!

-----Hometime------

Old 08-29-2003, 02:02 PM   #74
BlackGas
Wanna be Modeler

Dean Blackborough
Data Anaylst/Office Monkey
Reading, United Kingdom

The truck and the crane are exceptional, the truck particulary, the modeling and texturing is outstanding.

First two don't seem to be of the same quality, although they are outstanding. The textures on the water don't seem to have any depth to them, looks very flat, almost like a plastic model where as the other two look like your more expensive metal versions.

Oustanding work though, nice seeing your work again, haven't seen it for a couple of years since you last submitted to my gallery, you have come a long way in just two short years.

Top marks from me.

Old 08-29-2003, 02:14 PM   #75
Doubt
Frequenter

Artist Guy

Great shite man! It's all quite bombly. Good work.

Yes, it's a word... bombly. Look it up.

--doubt

Thread Closed share thread