CGTalk > CGSociety Art Gallery > CG Award Gallery
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-23-2002, 02:36 AM   #46
wmendez
Past, Present, & Future.

Will Mendez
SOFTIMAGE Co.
Montreal, Canada

Great job indeed!!

Old 09-23-2002, 06:14 AM   #47
PotatoHead
Drunken Toad

Student

nice stuff!! i really like the cartoon style you've got there. but the low poly count sometimes makes the models look strange....like the fat guy's shoes.

Old 09-23-2002, 09:36 AM   #48
RutRem
Frequenter

portfolio
Roberto Cimador
freelancer 3D artist
Novigrad, Croatia

Send a message via ICQ to RutRem Send a message via AIM to RutRem Send a message via MSN to RutRem Send a message via Yahoo to RutRem
wow

very nice , toon shaders? or common textures? , bah what ever i like that ! expecially the marine with great foots.
____Its a parody on Quake , the game that r u workin for?
____Anyway great work Chris

Old 09-23-2002, 09:59 AM   #49
Wiro
[forum leader]

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Arild "Wiro" Anfinnsen
Light + Render
Taking time off
USA

VERY nice look! Roy at work showed me one of the animations and damn does it look sweet! That toon shader is different from anything else I've seen, more painterly than the usual 2D-cel. I'm really looking forward to seeing more. Hope to meet you again and have more of a talk than last time

Wiro

Old 09-23-2002, 04:40 PM   #50
tex360
student

Send a message via AIM to tex360
wow!

wow man, thatīs amazing, are there any tutorials out there to teach some of us how to make it look 2D like that? Oh, one thing though the boots look a bit blurry on both characters unlike the rest of the body, but thatīs prolly because of texture size and its not that noticeable. Good job. Oh, also, does this game have a website with more pics? cause im really looking forward to a game with the style of your models.

Old 09-23-2002, 05:05 PM   #51
Jonny Bubonic
Riding Shotgun

Nick Sawyer
United Kingdom

Nice work dude. Just a question...when you say psuedo toon-shaded so you mean that the textures are painted to look like they're cell-shaded, or is it some code thang? And the black line...is that a scaled version of the original with the normals flipped and textured black? I'm not looking to steal your secrets, I just wondered if you were doing it the same way as "Oni", which looked nice in stills, but a bit strange when moving, cause the shadows were fixed.
Anyway, keep it up guys, and good luck with the game.

Old 09-23-2002, 05:41 PM   #52
christianJ
Veteran

portfolio
Christian Johnson
animator/designer/director
plazmadesign.co.uk
London, United%2BKingdom

In answer to the toon shading question. I drew the textures so as to look hand painted with simple comic style threshold shading.
The outline is added in photoshop. When the characters are in game they dont need the outline as the motion helps define the character shape. Its really somewhere between herdy gerdy and a capcom/ powerstone look.

It would be nice if people had a go at doing more styles in the games industry so that there is a nice diversity. There seems to be alot of companies chasing the photoreal thing.

I like real and can see why it will be eternally popular. It would good for the industry if more styles were also developed.

Cheers

christiano

I would like to do some more polished versions of these characters at some stage and use higher res textures and meshes.
Maybe for the gamecube version of the game.

Old 09-24-2002, 11:15 PM   #53
christianJ
Veteran

portfolio
Christian Johnson
plazmadesign.co.uk
London, United%2BKingdom

Here is one of the creature designs. Again weighing in at about 2000 polys at full detail.

Hope you guys like it.

Cheers

Christiano.

Old 09-25-2002, 01:58 AM   #54
ShwayMan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ShwayMan
That is really cool. I think you should keep the dark outlines in the game to give it more of that cartoon feel.

Old 09-25-2002, 09:35 AM   #55
Jonny Bubonic
Riding Shotgun

Nick Sawyer
United Kingdom

I agree with Shwayman on the outlines...if you can find a way to do that in-game I reckon it would really add something. The only way I know how to do it for PS2 I mentioned already. Unfortunately it doubles the polycount on the model :thumbsdow so its probably not what you're after. I'm not sure that the Ps2 can do any fancy hardware shader tricks....hassle the coders

Old 09-25-2002, 06:49 PM   #56
sanhueza
Your Daddy

portfolio
David Sanhueza
Creative Director
GAME-O-GAMI
Las Vegas, USA

I love the characters and renders. I think the more dramatic lighting (like in the very first post) actually gives these images a more painterly/cartoon feel, and not the other way around. I'm really glad to see games branching off in new artistic styles. Cell-shading is beginning to get a little over-done in animation and games, but these renders retain a unique style that keeps them interesting. Great job!

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

Old 09-25-2002, 08:43 PM   #57
spakman

that's some wicked stuff!!!!

d=^)

Old 09-25-2002, 11:41 PM   #58
Shogun
Meshsmith

Lecturer, Forum admin, phone pleb. (yes I have 3 jobs & strangely still no money.)

Quote:
It would good for the industry if more styles were also developed.

Definately. There are so many variations to try. I'd love to see more stuff like gio gio's bizzare adventure (graphically,) which was interesting or completely different stuff like a game with the graphical style of Dudok de Wit's "The monk & the fish" or whatever. Even things like Parrapa the rapper, Vib ribbon, Rez, Ico etc, which at least try to take a different route.
Anyway, amazing work - please post more when you can. Also when is the game due out? The name rings a bell, should be one to look out for.

Old 10-08-2002, 11:08 AM   #59
christianJ
Veteran

portfolio
Christian Johnson
plazmadesign.co.uk
London, United%2BKingdom

Ah at last a female character, her name is caraway. A kind of ethnik lara croft. 2100 polys.

It was fun doing this character, hope people like her.

There will be a pillige website up and running soon.

Cheers

Christiano.

Old 10-08-2002, 11:10 AM   #60
christianJ
Veteran

portfolio
Christian Johnson
plazmadesign.co.uk
London, United%2BKingdom

and a side pose..........

Thread Closed share thread