Alien Mayhem In Amsterdam, House Of Secrets & Soulbase (Animation)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2004   #31
Excellent job! I saw it earlier through some other site and it still rocks. And the animation of the fonts is the best ever!

Goed werk!

Old 08 August 2004   #32
Something's wrong with the explosions. The one near the end especially looks like a post process effect. Like you've run a displacement map in after effects over the part that explodes. It's not exactly that but I don't really know how to describe it.

I'm not in the 3d bussiness but as a viewer there are some things in your clip that makes me a little bit hesitant.
You said you had little time to produce that. So overall speaking it looks ok. BUT there are a few things that bother me. For example some funny looking shots, like the mill and the cow scene at the beginning. They look heavily composited. Some of the angles and the editing (at the beginning especially) are a bit strange from a cinematic point of view, and the overall digital quality of the footage doesn't help either. And the fact that the trailer doesn't have a clear structure gives to the whole experience a big minus. All the movie preview clips even though they are not obviously the whole movie they have some kind of structure. A beginning a middle part and an end. They set a mood at the beginning, than they tell you what the movie is about, and finally in the end they raise the viewers expectations so the viewer would go and see the movie. Your trailer didn't have that kind or any kind of structure except the establishing shots at the beginning, that set some kind of place where all these things happen. So if you want the clip to work as a trailer you should work on that a little bit more.

I'm not saying all those things just so I would bring you down and play the wise a$$ that knows everything but I think that if I mention all the things that didn't work for me you could improve on the final product and create a better experience for the viewer.

Old 08 August 2004   #33
Hehehe.... erg leuk gedaan!
Oranje boven!!!

Old 08 August 2004   #34
Oranje boven inderdaad ! Goed bezig jongens !
https://twitter.com/PaleoPixels

Old 08 August 2004   #35
Indeed I am one of the people who thought the Dutch could not make realistic special effects and computer animations (though the art animations are very highly developed in the Netherlands, see for instance Father and Daughter). Now Guerilla already shower me that computer-entertainment could be done at an excellent level in the Netherlands (games, that is: Shell Shock and Killzone). Now you guys show movie special effects are done here well as well. Good thing.

By the way: I see House of Secrets is just around my corner: I go to school at the HKU in Hilversum.

The style of the thing is so cool, by the way. With the flags and the text over it.

Old 08 August 2004   #36
It's nice to see Dutch animation not trying to be hollywood animation but finding its own quirky feel. Obviousely not everybody will understand that and will point out things like pixelated explosions or non-realistic compositing.

Personally I'm glad the animation comes with its obvious 'fake designed bits'.

Keep it up!

"Creativity is found in Unlikely places"

Old 08 August 2004   #37
Hey Phobos.... I'd like to react on what you just said about a structure.

I Think it does have a structure... and it goes like follows

1. Establishing.. Where are we? Holland! We have several shots showing typical dutch situations.. everything is quiete, nothing happening. Yes that's Holland.

2. Big change in normal situation... Splash! We get invaded by beings from outer space... Them tyrants! All gets destroyed, and women and childeren won't be save no more. They are cracking us like a nut.

3. Reaction.... Get up , stand up ! ... A call for arms.... allready anouncing what will be next... probably a huge battle... but will we ever know?

Cheerio
Flo

Old 08 August 2004   #38
Arme koe..

Excellent work!

Old 08 August 2004   #39
Excellent smoke effects

Old 08 August 2004   #40
It's fun! feels a bit like starship troopers, especially with the slogan titles.

Knap werk!

Old 08 August 2004   #41
That was Beautiful. You prove that small studios are still the creative frontliners in this commercially unenlightened industry.

Old 08 August 2004   #42
fantastisch! Lage landen boven!

- Bentagon

Old 08 August 2004   #43
Great work. It's worth putting English subtitles, because it sounds like the text is important.

Old 08 August 2004   #44
Thumbs down

Well, it was definetly a short film, but after someone watches it, they're seriously left hanging. I mean, seriously, other then it being totally done in cg, what was the point of making it. I'm guessing this is going to be one in a series of short films featuring these alien invaders, otherwise this will have been one serious let down.

Old 08 August 2004   #45
A reaction on Goldenavatar..

As far as "leaving the audience hanging"... I thought that was the general idea of a trailer? Now, on to your other comment about what being the point. I would like to recommend reading the intro text supplied on the mini-site. It explains clearly why the short was made. I for one am sure that nobody can deny the fact that we unmistakably were succesful at achieving our own objective. Again, once more, I would like to refer to the intro text if you would like to know what objective that was.

We like to hear constructive comments, that's for sure seeing that they can be very helpful... But please, when you do so, don't make a fool out of yourself and first read up on the story behind the project.

Here's a translation of the motion graphics text in English (and in chronological order).. The text indeed is kind of important (the DVD has subtitles by the way... ;-)

"Disaster descended upon us"

"They came from above"

"Be brave"

"Tyrants From Afar"

"Rise and resist"

"Soon invading a theatre near you"

Thanks for all the kind words, all I can say is we did our best. This is what we could deliver in two and a half weeks. We are content with it (not to say that it couldn't be any better, but for two and a half weeks, we are pretty content)

With kind regards,

Wesly
---

Soulbase
www.soulbase.nl

Thread Closed share thread