Code Guardian Drydock, A.baldasseroni (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2004
My only critiques would be these 2.....small of course, but legit....the American flag on the boat to the left, is backwards it seems. The blue square with stars should always be on the pole side. The Carrier also looks too rusted if its a brand new carrier they are building. It looks like they are building it...if they are just repairing it, well, then its fine I guess....but it looks like a building shipyard....so I would expect the carrier to be nice and new looking, not rusted.

05 May 2004
Excellent work. Love the detailing. My crit would be that some of the people don't seem to fit in the scene. The sailors hanging out by the boat are great, and so is the soldier on the walkway, but the 2d real people kind of stick out in comparison, like the ones in front of the carrier. They don't seem to belong in the WW2 scene you have created.

05 May 2004
OMG ... excellent work ...

05 May 2004
great piece of work!

There are only 10 types of people in the world — those who understand trinary, those who don't, and those who mistake it for binary.

05 May 2004
absollutelly perfect!
no critics, just amazing and
nice detailed and textures

05 May 2004
Great work and an excellent subject.

a.

05 May 2004
'Zing work as ever!....i are a true master of mappin and texturing!
Ho sempre amato i tuoi lavori!Hai una dovizia nel texturing che è davvero una cosa rara.Bello bello bello.
oz

B-movie

05 May 2004
Great composition.

05 May 2004
WOOOOOW! This is a really GREAT piece of art The detail; the textures; the lightning, the render; the composition; all PERFECT! Rendered in Max Scanline renderer!??!

Wireframe?

05 May 2004
Looks great reminds me a bit of the Commando series. One thing cought my eye though. For a dock there's no place that boats can be tied to (can't remember what those things are called )

Can't wait to see the full short !!

05 May 2004
details are amazing...

www.the-boulis.com

05 May 2004
DAMN!!! It is... INCREDIBLE!!!! 5 stars man!
do you got some wires??

Projects :
4Z-XR Concept car W.I.P.

05 May 2004
greekdish - If it wasn't finally painted yet it would be all rusted. A US carrier takes over 4 years to actually build, and then before construction actually ever starts a majority of the metal is already cut and sitting outside, so it rusts a lot.

One thing that sticks out to me is the tiling of the metal on the hull. It's too uniform. Remember, there's going to be some big pieces of metal and some smaller ones, not all the same size.

On a purist position, which I understand this is fantasy, so don't bite my head off But I'm not sure if there's a floating drydock made that will hold a US carrier...90,000 long tons and around 1100 ft long.

You also might want to consider adding a gantry type crane. Because inorder to lift the huge heavy pieces those boom cranes won't be able to do that from the outside and drop them in the center area of the ship.

I also notice that from the perspective it doesn't look like there'll be enough room (distance) to actually finish the hull of the carrier in there...

I know I was nitpicky, but I spent 8.5yrs working down in a shipyard that makes these things and doing machinery design for them.

But, the picture is awesome and my hats off to you for creating it.

karl

05 May 2004
Woah...thanks for the feedbacks !

...The flag has been fixed.. eheh

Well, let`s say it took more or less 2 months of spare time and pain in the ass, because the scene is really huge in terms of number of polygons (around 6 billion) and size of the textures (some reach 4096 px width), anyway it has been kinda fun to work on it...i love these WW2`s subjects.

The ship is and the whole drydock are supposed to be in a sort of dismantling status, that`s why of the rust and decaying all around

I took some old b/w drydock pictures and tried to rebuild that messy and detailed mood instead of making a perfect historic reconstruction (anyway i would not be able because i don`t have the necessary knowledge), but all the suggestions you gave me are really interesting, and i will take them in count for the final stage (after all this is made for an animation).

Technically it`s renderend in Brazil 1.2 with GI and a direct light projecting simple shadow maps.All the maps are made in photoshop, (most of them using the 3d total cd map collection) , while a good amount of materials are Darktree Symbiont`s procedurals.

Here`s a wireframe, a shaded pic and a couple of texture samples (heavily resized).

Personal portfolio

Facebook page

Character modeling for production DVD

05 May 2004
Completely AMAZING !!!

Five stars

- BoRG UNiT -

Thread Closed share thread