Battlefield (eidos), Xavier Marquis (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2004   #31
Grate piece of work!

Old 04 April 2004   #32
Tranquillou !
Like Dare, I'd love to know more about the explosions in the first picture

Old 04 April 2004   #33
Fantastic job
And yes the heil looks strange

Old 04 April 2004   #34
Yes, it is kinda interesting how the majority of the comments are about the TECHNICAL aspects of the work, when what I think should be viewed as well is the CONTENT itself.

Compared to other games out at this time with animated violence and similar subject matter...this game looks TASTELESS, especially from the second image. For some of us it hits too close to home. I never thought seeing suffering in a game would sell, but I hope I am not proven wrong.

Old 04 April 2004   #35
Quote: Originally posted by johngloid
Yes, it is kinda interesting how the majority of the comments are about the TECHNICAL aspects of the work, when what I think should be viewed as well is the CONTENT itself.

Compared to other games out at this time with animated violence and similar subject matter...this game looks TASTELESS, especially from the second image. For some of us it hits too close to home. I never thought seeing suffering in a game would sell, but I hope I am not proven wrong.

So your saying that you want us, the young generation to forget what you, the previous generation (or your fathers) went through in Vietnam?

If that's how you want it.

Old 04 April 2004   #36
how do you make the jungle scene. you modeled all kinds of plants? or you have some jungle engine thing to generate it?

Old 04 April 2004   #37
Wooooooaww Sacré boulot Xavier, c vraiment très beau. J'adore le dynamisme de la première. Et la deuxième fait passer beaucoup d'émotion. J'imagine qu'il ya a pas mal de compositing, enfin c très bien maitrisé en tout cas. Beau taff!!

Old 04 April 2004   #38
Obviously a very finely crafted piece of work by a skillful artist. Technical quibbles such as the angle of the aircraft are pretty irrelevent as far as I can tell.
There's nothing wrong with art depicting violence, death and human suffering. This of course has been one of the historical roles of the artist. The problem may arise with the context in which the art is presented, particularly as part of an explicitly commercial endeavour. Is this simply eye-candy to help sell a video game? Will the images help explain why these people were put into such situations and why so many millions were killed in that war? Or will they simply set the scene for blasting some "gooks"?
My money would safely be on the latter. It's a video game here we shouldn't have any lofty expectations of it. If you have a problem with the way the video game industry entertains us with such violence then don't hold this fine artist responsible. This is hardly anything new, don't jump on the guy. Rather, the problem exists with the state of the entertainment industry and the way in which they make use of such excellent artistic talent, for our money and apperently for our gratification.
I wonder would people find the above image distasteful if the pictured fugure was Vietnamese, the "enemy".

Anyway, excellent composition and rendering here

Old 04 April 2004   #39
Would you like him to be untrue to the Vietnamese War? Perhaps modeling a few Viet Cong and American troops sitting at a table, sipping tea and talking about last nights mets game? Get real, Vietnam was an ugly war and it should be represented as such.

You act like its a unspeakable sin to use Violence to sell stuff. Its nothing new, and it won't change. Why? the simple truth is it sells, its effective and no one wants to see an NVA reading the paper on the john with lillies in his helmet. Don't jump on the guy for trying to do his job which, in this case, was to show others doing theirs.

Only problems I have with the images is the historical accuracy of it all, which has been stated previously.

A) Chinook wouldn't be landing in a hot LZ, for any reason, and its even less credible to make 3-4 landing in one. Put 1-2 slicks in there, though and it might work.

B) the Heli angle

C) the equipment being left on the soldier

and E) Why would they plant pungi sticks underneath him? doesn't make much sense.

Old 04 April 2004   #40
My only qualm is this

YOU ARE MAKING MONEY OFF OF THE TRAGEDY OF VIETNAM.

Now, had this money gone to a relief fund or donated accodingly, I would not be posting here. But the fact that thousands of humans died is being used to make somone rich. that sickens me, as it should all of you.

you have a right to produce the game, granted, its allowed under a constitution. But ethics should be considered, though it is not regularly with reference to gaming.

Old 04 April 2004   #41
Quote: Originally posted by drewantarctic
But the fact that thousands of humans died is being used to make somone rich. that sickens me, as it should all of you.

Just thought I should say that there were several million killed in Vietnam and the related conflicts. Whether that makes a difference, I'll let you decide.
Still, jumping on this artist is unfair. If you have an issue it should be with the exploitative nature of commercial art.

As a wise man once said, "Don't hate the playa. Hate the game"

Old 04 April 2004   #42
Not bad

How about some wireframes? Or more info about how the images were created.

peace

Old 04 April 2004   #43
WOW.. a lot of posts.

I'm trying to answer to the maximum.

First point (technically) : All the composition is in 3D, plants also and typical to the vietnam, only the differents background are composed with 2 mattepaints. I would like post some wireframes i must just check with Guerrilla if it's ok.

Second point : about the military precision. I'm not a great fan of weapon or military vehicule etc. All my apologie for the pro military if I make a lot of error. I composed much for the style than for for the perfect realism.
For me an M60 or antoher gun, anyway the result is the same.
I have received a nice email from a military guy for a precision about the Chinook. it's promised Tony, the next time I respect the system gear on the CH47

Third point : About the ethics and the game. The violence in the game : the main problem. I'm not here to justify if the violence is legitim or not in a game content. I would like just precise something. I have signed to realise this pic and i'm absoluetely responsable of his content. For me it was a chance to illustrate my vision about the pain, about the mad side of this war. Maybe a hard subject with a lot of controverse, a lot of problem but i prefer take a risk and try to illustrate my point of view. Certainly not perfect but I try.

I can also understand the different problem cause by some specific idea with different nation or ethnie and I respect the people against this kind of art. it's a right.

Just to finish, please don't use this thread for a political reason. I respect the different opinions but cgtalk is a professionnal board and specially dedicate to the cgart. I'm not here to make a free provocation, i'm here to shared my vision as artist.

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH !!!! sincerely

- BoRG UNiT -

Old 04 April 2004   #44
nice work.... great detail

Old 04 April 2004   #45
Technical:
Some wireframes would be great! One thing though, the soldiers look very similar (minus the packs), like they are just slightly altered copies. Also, I would think that the downdrafts from the helocopters would push the smoke out slightly.

Content:
I could be wrong, but I would assume that the Vietnamese would take his equipment before lighting the l fire at the base of the soldier's cross. It looks this way in the picture (his pockets don't look like they have anything in them). Also, it surprises me that so many people are objecting to the images' content. I never heard any objections to movies of American soldiers in Medal of Honor blasting Nazi troops (for example), or any objections to the countless other capital ventures that focus on war. I myself have never been in battle, but I would think that a game like this gives people like me the opportunity to begin developing some concept of what it was like, without having to ask any of my friends who were there to relive their own personal horrors.

Overall:
Great images! I really love your depiction of something I am glad I have never seen in person.

Thread Closed share thread