The Tale Of Kar, Lildragon (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2002
Henrik Horlin

I think Lil is not only trying to show a niece piece of artwork...
anybody can show a big black silhouette in front of a nice sky...

this piece of artwork is also there to show his modeling skills...with you're idea (which is not bad) it doesn't show anything !!!!

06 June 2002
nice

nice work lil dragon, for some reason i love the silouette(sp?) idea, it just looks very dramatic and removes the cg-ish feel of the original renders. just my two cents
"Then you will come to think of things in a wide sense and, taking the void as the Way, you will see the Way as void. In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." - Miyamoto Musashi

06 June 2002
Well if anyone is still interested, I've made the posters available for print at zazzle.com, as I've had a handful of requests

http://www.zazzle.com/posters/galle...butor=lildragon

I'll be printing some myself locally, so if you see me at Siggraph I'll still be giving them out..

thx again for all your comments

cheers

06 June 2002
Hey man, the lil girl in your services area, Is that your daughter. She cracks me up every tie i see that part. My fiancee thinks she is the most adorable thing.

06 June 2002
Julez I wish, I don't have any kids *yet*

here's some wireframes for those that requested or are interested

cheers

06 June 2002
Are we gonna meet up at Siggraph, everyone ...

06 June 2002
Re: Henrik Horlin

Quote: Originally posted by baby
I think Lil is not only trying to show a niece piece of artwork...
anybody can show a big black silhouette in front of a nice sky...

this piece of artwork is also there to show his modeling skills...with you're idea (which is not bad) it doesn't show anything !!!!

Well I´m not trying to (make Lilldragon) show a black siluette against a nice sky. If you make a poster, It (IMO) shuld not only show that you are a great modeler (you are Lilldragon) but what you can do with it. I like both posters alot and would propbably by all (six) of them if they were nice too look at. But right now it looks CG-show-off-ish. Show that you can use some lighting too. I´m not saying that it shuld be all black (if you look carefully you see some textures and stuff on my "take" of it). The other posters will show Kar in all his glory anyway.

two more cents.

06 June 2002
No damn silhouettes, it's near perfect as it is. My one crit would be the smooth rock. Rocks get smoothed by flow of water and since this one is jutting out like that it tells me it's not water formed, but rather pushed out a'la plate techtonics. This would mean it would likely be rougher and more jagged than smooth.

Someone commented that it looks too "hollywood" with the lighting etc. Ever stop to think that maybe that's what he wants? Perhaps that's the look he was after and guess what? He nailed it.

06 June 2002
Ok I understand what you guys meant about the rock being to smooth and as Dtitus mentioned, that usually happens by the effects of water

so

[edit] forgot to mention, this is a raw render, no post work, there's lots of harshness and the sky is all wrong... so don't mention that part of it..[/edit]

cheers

06 June 2002
Wow, huge improvement! If you could get some of the sun to play off the rock with some rimlights it would bring out the form more.

Wiro

06 June 2002
thx Wiro, so I guess by everyone's silence that's a go then? okie...

cheers

06 June 2002
Very cool rock surface, though I could 'buy' the other one as being worn down from water, who knows about the geologic past, though it looks like it's very high up.

Anyway this one's much better, the only thing I don't like is the end of it towards the right, looks kind of like broken off cigarette or styrofoam, very strange..the larger scale rock surface on the rest of it works better..but that's just IMO.

Keep em coming..really want to see what you do for the others.

06 June 2002
I think the rock is a huge improvement!

I do think that it would look a bit better if you could incorporate something either between him and the camera, or behind him. I think it would help push the depth. Where you still going to put in grass? I think that might do it.

Awesome sky! Was that done in painter? Love the colors.

06 June 2002
Hey Lil Dragon,
That is really looking good. I do agree with the fore ground element of some sort. Also maybe some smaller rocks and pebbles on the surface of the large stone? Can you say tertiary detail?

As for the sky? Who needs Painter when I've got Photoshop 7!
Except for the kick ass grid feature in painter. I would just kill for that in PS.
SECRET AGENT
B-Movie

06 June 2002
ya that a big improvement lil and wiro I thing about the rim on the rocks might help out also i'm not to sure about the spec on the sword the spec on the top and bottom and his arm would block the spec from the top but that might be a little picky but none the less nice improvement. i'm going have to start modeling again to catch up to art on this form.

Thread Closed share thread