The last meal, Xin Hou (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2014   #16
power-3d, I'm not sure what your point is. Your rhetorical questions are not relevant, and you have not identified a double standard as far as this forum thread goes. But feel free to design and post provocative art about WWII, colonialism, slavery, etc. If you are venting in general about "terrorism" and who gets to define that word, there are other political forums for that.

Do you have a specific critique for this illustration or are you simply unhappy about dirty laundry being aired? Child abuse takes many forms all over the world and there should be art like this piece to identify and challenge the individuals or factions who perpetuate it, no matter the nationality or religious affiliation.

My only critique is that the child's hands seem a little small, but that could be due to foreshortening. The expressions on each character's face (or lack thereof) are tragic in their own way.

Old 02 February 2014   #17
Fantastic work here .. and a very powerful image. I love the expressions on the faces, and lighting is telling the story well. Epic work mate !!

Off Topic ::
Hey power-3d ... take it easy man, this is an art forum and people here do not attack any ethnic or religious group (which is one reason I love this place) , You can personally disagree with the idea of the image without asking those questions.

Old 02 February 2014   #18
Thumbs up

Great work. you pulled the feelings quite well.

-dushyant

Old 02 February 2014   #19
This is some powerful stuff!

What I love about this picture the most is how the dynamite can be overlooked at first.

I guess it will bring on political arguments soon...

Old 02 February 2014   #20
Originally Posted by power-3d: Who started the first world war ? Muslims ? Who started the second world war ? Muslims ? Who killed about 20 millions of Aborigines in Australia ? Muslims ?? Who sent the nuclear bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki ?... Muslims ?? Who killed more than 100 millions of Indians in North America ? Muslims ?? Who killed more than 50 millions of Indians in south America ? Muslims ?? Who took about 180 millions of African people as slaves and 88% of them died and was thrown in Atlantic ocean ? Muslims ?? No , They weren't Muslims!!! First of all, You have to define terrorism properly... If a non-Muslim do something bad..it is crime. But if a Muslim commit same..he is terrorist... So first remove this double standard...then come to the point!!!..

Maybe you should get the point first? Try to read the message instead of judging just what you see. Don't be one-dimensional. Or do you like kids being used as bombs (no matter where or by whom..)? Do you want anywhere on the world that people are so desperate that life is thrown away so easily (and that people think it's ok)? There is a lot of ground to cover and the image could be standing for a lot of things that make this image so intruiging but certainly it is not an offense at muslims (the same could have happened in Africa. kids die all day long there, probably sitting with a machine gun at the table..).
Yeah, maybe it is a bit stereotype that he actually used a family that is muslim (that would be my only crit..) but then it is exactly this choice that adds to the controversial art (I wouldn't mind the author to share his thoughts on his intentions to calm the crowd).

Anyway, great and catching work!

Old 02 February 2014   #21
Hey guys, it's always great to see some provocative artwork, but it'd also be good to see folks discussing it in a calm manner. If you feel angry, rather go cool off for a bit before replying, that way we can discuss things constructively.

Old 02 February 2014   #22
Originally Posted by power-3d: First of all, You have to define terrorism properly... If a non-Muslim do something bad..it is crime. But if a Muslim commit same..he is terrorist... So first remove this double standard...then come to the point!!!..

Strapping a child with a bomb (like in this picture) is terrorism. Or did you miss the dynamite?

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 02 February 2014   #23
The child is both a soon-to-be terrorist and victim, so the image provokes both anger and sympathy. You've humanized the enemy. That's quite an accomplishment. Kudos.

Old 02 February 2014   #24
idea offensive to Muslims

Old 02 February 2014   #25
It's great that this piece selected for the front page. Fantasy work is fun and entertaining, however it's welcoming to see the digital medium expand into other areas such as this provocative piece.

My first viewing, I thought it was just a Muslim family in prayer and even at that level I thought it was a cool narrative...but then, I saw the explosive vest and it turned everything inside out!

Congrats on a fine piece of art!

HelzerSketch Blog

Old 02 February 2014   #26
Thumbs up Peace !!

This is a great peace of Art !!

The message is super strong..

It can happen with any religion.. It's not about Muslims !!

Old 02 February 2014   #27
Originally Posted by foly: idea offensive to Muslims

This reminds of that South Park episode where they sensor the images of Muhammad but clearly profane Jesus, the American flag, and I believe several other 'symbols'.

I don't understand why this image would be offensive to Muslims, unless you yourself are saying that all Muslims are terrorists?
Django Unchained wasn't offensive to white Americans...was it?

Really nice image. It took me a second to really see what was going on (which was even better because I had an 'A ha!' moment with it!).

I would perhaps thicken up the childs finders, as they appear a bit too thin - but that's more artistic preference than anything else.

Old 02 February 2014   #28
That's one heck of a first post Xin Hou.
You're definitely going to catch a lot of eyes with this one.

Expert attention to detail and just the overall imagery.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 02 February 2014   #29
as an artistic work, this one considered a piece of art
the great lighting, expressions and overall mode, just so amazing

for the story, well, this is just a typical-shallow picture of muslims on western media
yeah, there is terrorists, in all places and religions
but I became so careful about the term of "terrorism", and the way it used for

the media uses this term a lot to justify some kind of violence against a group of people
as here, in Egypt, they call the anti-coup protesters "terrorists"
using the term to justify killing people on streets
here, some artists are making caricatures about this situation
and they do just like that work, picturing a huge group of people in an evil way
they are saying that there is real terrorists out there, yeah there is, but accusing a huge group with an act of few is just some kind of forgery

actually I wasn't give a big mind to discuss this work here
as I know the fact my self, that this way of unfair-look is just helping to increase the hate toward other people, hate that could justify murder and killing in cold blood
I know that well, as I saw the bodies of my friends who killed in a "war on terrorism", my friends that I know very well, they can't hurt a fly

anyway, I thought I would just say what I know
maybe it could help clear the point

cheers

Old 02 February 2014   #30
realistic rendering,modeling,texturing and rig and pose wow its really an awesome but the story is kind of offensive
its not because the dress (which clearly mean muslims) but the way the man hold his hand like praying.
its like yes there is suicider and yes this is the geographical location but also pray (his religion doesn't tell him to do that).
you know what i think as a muslim or maybe many muslims thinks that way
we think people around the world thinks all terrorists are not muslims and yeah there is some people who also thinks all muslims are terrorists but also...
i should stop talking now

Thread Closed share thread