Dndd (a Scent Of Fantasy), Aldaryn (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2004   #46
Wow! Really great image!

My only crit is that the dice look too new, the dice in my bag always got scuffed up and had tiny scratches from rubbing against each other all the time.

Old 01 January 2004   #47
Simply beautiful - very, very convincing. The only critique I have is that the leather on the bag seems to lack thickness - other than that, this could easily pass as a photo.

Once again, beautiful work!

JoeW

Advice for Children: Be good....and you will be lonesome. Mark Twain

Old 01 January 2004   #48
Ohhhh, this brought back memories of endless nights and weekends in my buddy's basement, playing AD&D, arguing over rules and shady dice rolls, and getting totally absorbed by the campaign we were running (Ravenloft still has a special place in my imagination). Excellent image!

/Anders

Old 01 January 2004   #49
Holy crap!

Fantastic tribute, and a fantastic piece of work. I'd love to have your leather shader!

Old 01 January 2004   #50
Wow! Fantastic work!

Old 01 January 2004   #51
I love it... And the number of d20s indicate one thing- This is a DM's bag!

Old 01 January 2004   #52
This is one of the most convincing renders I have seen in a long time; great job! The subtle use of DOF is very nice.

www.divisionof8.com
www.delicatemachines.com
Vimeo Videos

Old 01 January 2004   #53
Wow, Actually, I never imagined, that you guys would like this piece of picture so much... It feels quite good, but i'm still searching for my breath. :)

So...
killeratti: The software was MAX 5.0, and VRay for rendering. The few textures were created in Photoshop 7, the the rest of color, diffuse, ect. controll was achieved through procedurals (gardient ramps, and noises)...
Garma: The shaders are VRay shaders, falloff maps were used to simulate fresnel (controll is more accurately) behaviors of reflections. No "specular highliths" rendered, all "light source reflection" is raytraced. For example the bag, it has a very glossy reflection all over it, with some falloff control, to enhance the scattered light alogn the edges...
tyio: Oh, yes there's a VRay for MAX 6 out now, but I haven't really got MAX 6... :)
Renzsu:You've actually spotted the wooden flakes, the small pieces of eraser, and the other ones?! Wow. Cool. Thanks...
Kood: Yep, could be, the illumination there... but the bags folt over the dice is actually wrong. A weak spot, but had no time to twek it right. I know...
Kricket: And again yep. Dices are toooo new. None om mine looks as new either, the texmaps, even the paint of the numbers are scratchless. :(

Oh, and about the variety of the dicec... Icould say, that DnD3 is almost only played with d20, and that's true. Or that I've got a bag full of d20s, as a DM's bag... :) and that's also true... But what really mattered, was the lack of time I had during the creation... In sum the whole stuff was put together in, lets say, 8-9 hours, and a couple hours tweking to get a nice render... I was finished with the othe dice types modelling, but had no time to do the texmaps for them. (Placing every number exactly as it is kinda booooring tooo...)

Again, thank everyone...

- A.

Old 01 January 2004   #54
Holy Dooly! Thats a DAMN WICKED render! Absolutely AWESOME work man!

I'm loving the whole piece.

Old 01 January 2004   #55
Nice work
So real

Old 01 January 2004   #56
Really fantastic work!
Even your wire view looks photoreal!

Old 01 January 2004   #57
Just perfect work!!!

Old 01 January 2004   #58
very realistic render

really great stuff

My sketchbook thread

Old 01 January 2004   #59
awesome, love d&d =]

Old 01 January 2004   #60
awessome !!!!!

not only is this one of the realistic renderer i ever saw..
but the picture remember me the good old day ..as i was a game master ..

i give 5 stars.. and would give more..if possible..

Thread Closed share thread