Nfs Underground Characters, Stahlberg (3D), Steven Stahlberg (3d)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2003   #61
I can't simply say that the models are amazing, that would only be a half-truth

In fact the thing I admire most is your texturing and also your simulation of how light hits the surface.

The whole things puts together a very good picture.

oh...and you're models are amazing

(slightly late but Merry Christams and a happy new year to all!!)

Old 12 December 2003   #62
Man, when the point is CHARACTERS, you are a god.

awesome Work!

Old 12 December 2003   #63
Stahlberg AND Mullins man now i know why this game look SOO much better than the other racer sims.

Really amazing models haven't seen the blonde one yet but i'm close to the end so i hope i will soon.
Great work once again i was wondering who did those models when i first saw them!

Old 12 December 2003   #64
I like that picture of the first chick with her mouth open
Great stuff

Old 12 December 2003   #65
maybe becuase of who worked on the game, explains why its one of the most enjoyable games i've played in some time... Sure theres like no story, but the gameplay is amazing!

Launching July 1st!

Old 12 December 2003   #66
Wooooooow!
Master you are very good, congratulations.

Old 12 December 2003   #67
Terrible game, nice graphics but horrid gameplay and cheating AI.

The art is great though.

One thing i'm curious about.

http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/552/552527/imgs_2.html

That's a link to the actual models these models are based off. When doing these models what exactly where the 2 real girls used for? Where photo's taken and then used for textures? Where there bodies scanned?

Curious how something like this is done.

Old 12 December 2003   #68
OMG, I just played this game...woulda paid more attention...*drools*...haha weird but I thought it was Kiera Knightley when I first saw the close-up on the front page Must rework that stuff I thought was good...

Old 12 December 2003   #69

www.doleep.com

Old 12 December 2003   #70
Excellent, Elegant and Cool!
I knew it was a Ståhlberg when i first saw it on frontpage.

Incredible what technicall knowledge can do in the right hands, no radiosity right?

When i first saw the the NFS: Underground trailer, i was confused about the female character being a real actress or a digital one. I guess i know now what it is.

Two Questions:

The hair looks GREAT, did you use mapped geometry?
How much time did it take to complete each model????

Gratulerar, skit snygg jobb !!!!

Old 12 December 2003   #71
Thumbs down

yeah sexy baby!~

http://www.eagames.com/official/nfs/underground/us/gallery.jsp?media=videos?platformID=all&videoID=video_4_hi&mediaID=videos&resID=hi

media==>vidio==>Amy's Interview : Hi-res - Lo-res

Old 12 December 2003   #72
OMG!
Stahlberg!!
one of my favourite artists!!!
you did good job again....you're just mind-blower.

ji revolutions¢â

*check out my website
www.3d40.com

*check out my post here at CGTALK
here!

Old 12 December 2003   #73
Wow, so many replies overnight, thanks everyone! And happy holidays to you too!
Only Melissa, the blonde, was scanned, and only her face. I did use it as a template for modeling, and it was helpful up to a point, but as it was also very rough, bumpy and plain ugly looking, I was afraid to rely on it too much. I suspect she moved during the scanning, or something. And it didn't contain any texture data.
Apart from that I also had a lot of photographs, from several photo sessions the EA guys did with her. Overall I'd say I relied more on the photos than on the scan.
Melissa's hair is tubular NURBS surfaces, mapped with colormap taken from her real hair photos, and a falloff ramp in the transparency to make the edges blurry.
A wireframe of Samantha (the eurasian girl):

edit: note that this is animatable, and so I couldn't tweak the shapes to be exactly what I wanted, that's why the skirt looks funny for instance, it's rigged to the skeleton. (Guess I should have gone with Cloth on that one, but of course that wouldn't have worked for the in-game character).

Old 12 December 2003   #74
Wow! Just unbelievable!!

Posted this on the wrong topic before....here goes again....First off let me just say I think your work is some of the best out there I've ever seen. If I could just get my models to even half of what your are I would be in awe. Ive only done one female character which is posted on my website which also was my first try at a character. When I was in school trying yo learn Maya and such, many of the instructors went to your site to show us examples and some tutorials. Great Work!!!

Couple questions even though some may be old or I just totally missed something...lol

Your rigs? Whats the average time they take to do? When you do the skely, do you add bones for ribs front and backside? And your morph targets, are they like influences. I used some influences on my model after learning them from Gnomons dvd skinning 4.

And two, for your clothes, do you usually model them separate kinda of like say a poser model, that fit right on top of the body so you can interchange pieces or are they modeled as part of the body. I understand belts and small objects might be modeled separate but I was wondering like shirts and pants.

Thanks..
www.digitalcurtis.com

Old 12 December 2003   #75
oh dear!

another wonderful work from a great artist!

Thread Closed share thread