CGTalk > Gallery > CG Awards
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 12-01-2003, 09:21 PM   #1
András Páll

Vehicle: Porsche 356B

Hi. This is my 3 Porsche 356Bs. Done with Lightwave and Photoshop.

I modelled it mostly with nurbs, and some parts polygonally (such as the tires and the windscreen wiper).
I didn't use HDRI. I've taken some shots from the street, then I edited and mapped them on primitives.
I've rendered separately the reflections (fresnel and normal), the diffuse, and the shades for the environment, so it was fun to composite it, that's why I have so many versions.

Couldn't decide about the color.

Here's a white,

a black,

a red one

and finally the pure model.

Thank you for your attention, C&C are welcome.

I was Andrew from Budapest, Hungary
Old 12-01-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
Faster, More intense
Yannis Bolman
Great work, I like the model a lot. You did a great job recreating it. I like the way you can see the weight of the car on the tyres.

would prefer the red one by the way.

I also like the way you edited it in the picture. One thing though. You could a very little Depth of Field effect to make it blend in more with the picture.

Good stuff!!

Where is the inside by the way? I dont see any chairs!
"Although all of this remains quite questionable"
[ Strange Behaviour ][ Sketchbook] [ Little Chicken ]
Old 12-01-2003, 10:06 PM   #3
Balázs Gräff
2d - 3d designer
Thumbs down

Very nice and precise job!
Please post wireframe and back view render. thx

Fruit & Vegetable
Old 12-01-2003, 10:07 PM   #4
Massimo Russo
Character Animator
Send a message via MSN to opendesigner
WOW Great too I prefer the red one!!!

Keep up the great work!!!

Visit my web site at
Old 12-01-2003, 10:13 PM   #5
CGSociety Staff
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Excellent work, superb modelling I like the top one the best (the white one), that colour is always great on classic cars.

I modelled it mostly with nurbs, and some parts polygonally (such as the tires and the windscreen wiper).

Don't you mean subdivision patches? LightWave doesn't have NURBS.

God job with the compositing, it looks great. Only gripe is that their seems to be no interior modelled (seats, etc).

I've plugged this one on the front page, really cool work
Old 12-01-2003, 10:20 PM   #6
SCAD Alumni
Illustrator/Video Editor/Animator
United States Minor Outlying Islands
From what little I let load of those pics, the renders are amazing. Nice model. But man, I got tired of waiting for these things to load and I'm on a highspeed DSL connection.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:23 PM   #7
ivan de andres gonzalez
graphic artist

white then red

Le temps mange la vie
Old 12-01-2003, 10:34 PM   #8
wow, very photorealistic, I could easily mistake this as a photograph. Great job, I didn't notice the lack of an interior at first, I was marveling over the exterior
Old 12-01-2003, 10:42 PM   #9
András Páll

I used "subdivided polygons / metaform" to be exact.

The car doesn't really have a full interieur (only driving wheel+rear view mirror+upper body of the seats). But the parts that you could see from the view of the camera are there.

I've created this model at least a year ago, and I haven't finish it. Then one day walking around the city, while taking photos of some buildings for school (i'm learning to be an architect), I found this nice little wall in this nice little street, and I thought it would be a great place for my porsche. So I took the photos, created the environmet, and finished the model (only the parts that are visible from the view of the camera). Of course the car has a back and a basic interieur, but I wouldn't be proud of it.

The whole picture from finishing the model to compositing was done for this very scene.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:45 PM   #10
Jack, The Pumpkin King
Christopher Mendoza
Web Developer
Johnson Technical Group
Topeka, USA
Send a message via ICQ to blindsleeper Send a message via AIM to blindsleeper Send a message via MSN to blindsleeper Send a message via Yahoo to blindsleeper
well its a great model incredible work, but these have got to be some of the slowest loading pictures ever
My Bedroom

Old 12-01-2003, 10:52 PM   #11
Lord of the posts
Andrzej Sykut
Platige Image
Cracow, Poland

This looks very nice. Blending with bg is almost perfect... except the car is tad too crisp. Not that it's very important, everything looks nice.
"Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced" - F. Herbert
10 CGChallenge entry
Old 12-01-2003, 10:56 PM   #12
yeh they are slow to load...but worth it...only crits without looking at the reference is they seem almost too reflective and a bit too sharp compared to the bg photo, perhaps a little noise and a tiny amount of blur would cure that, but they look good all the same, especially the reflections which work well, they look as good as hdri. Perhaps the tyres seem a little too grey as well.

red one is my fave
Old 12-01-2003, 10:57 PM   #13
Lord of the posts
William Chestnutt
Lymington, United Kingdom
WOW!!!! amazing work man!!!! first rate!!
Current WIP: Photoreal Honda NSX... HERE
Old 12-01-2003, 11:12 PM   #14
Hawken King
web producer
Eat Creative
Send a message via MSN to Terminal24
ever heard of jpeg compression? that image took about as long to load as it probablt took to render! (on DSL too!)

aside from that, its a little too sharp to look real. very nice all the same, I know a lot of work goes into this sort of thing
Old 12-01-2003, 11:15 PM   #15
pixel pushing since 1989
Anthony Rosbottom
HotGen Ltd.
London, United Kingdom
Send a message via ICQ to Bliz Send a message via MSN to Bliz
Red, then white then black though they are all extremely nice renders.
They look very realistic as they are but if you wanted to go that little bit further, here's what I would 'try' and do.

The tyre rubber colour seems a bit too 'grey' especially when you compare it to the albeit modern day tyres on the van behind.

Ferdinand himself would be proud of the build quality of that car. Maybe you could subtly shift some of the parts around to add imperfections in the fit. The hood/bonnet is perfectly fitting when in real life getting a large panel to fit into a void that size, perfectly is very, very hard.

Add some wear or grime into the recesses of the chrome wheels. Even if they were perfectly polished everyday a build up of dirty polish would occur in the extreme recesses.

Add some stickers in the corner of the windscreen. In the UK we have a tax disk, maybe you have something equivilent?

And finally, consider adding a slightly battered number plate to the front of the car. I suppose this is a taste issue as it's not a legal requirement in all countries for vehicles to have a front numberplate.

All in all though - excellent work
Thread Closed share thread