The Blue Project, Dan Roarty (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2011
well done great job.
just ignore the other fella i have no idea what hes trying to achieve.
would be great to fin out more details regards the hair solution.

10 October 2011
Thanks Stephen! the hair by far took the most time (and there are still issues I was wanting to fix)
I used shave & haircut, and created hair off of a cap from the head.. From there I tried to model them strand by strand for the most part .. even then it wasn't enough difference.. I ended up duplicating the hair curves into nurbs curves and for the small strands moving them at will as a separate hair spawn. I ended up doing 3 separate lighting passes for the hair.. one for the overall look and shadow (within hair) another completely flat, that I could use to lighten/overlay in PS.. and a shadow matte pass on the rest of geo.. I had issues with occlusion passes and had to just call it quits unfortunately.
heres a diff color version of the image as well.. and an older version a while back before adding all the bits and background and so forth ..

10 October 2011
This is some utterly stunning work, the effort you put in really paid off. Thank you again for sharing those glimpses of the wires If you are to share any of your texturing secrets and your approach I'd be delighted to absorb it all. Talk about inspiration. Outstanding work, and thanks again!

AF

10 October 2011
WOW! Absolutely amazing.
Posted it on my blog.
Male Mercenary
Female Mercenary

10 October 2011
Beautiful, very nice work

10 October 2011
Wow.. Skin shading looks great,, also your modeling skills are awesome..
5*
By the way ¿Did you render a decimated mesh.. or is a normal map in the maya viewport?

10 October 2011
Stunning work Chief. 5* from me. Skin especially looks absolutely spot on.

red

10 October 2011
Congrats! Really nice work.... very realistic!

I noticed that you left her more pale in the final image. I liked it because it draws more attention to the face and eyes. I'm also curious to see the texture maps you used on the skin. Does the makeup affects the subsurface scattering?

10 October 2011
Wow, very photoreal. Amazing job with the skin, I can see how much work you've put into it!

10 October 2011
Smokin'

Holy Macaroni!
Lucky I wore my depends today, I just peed myself in envy

Someone give this man and his girl Front Page STAT!

10 October 2011
Amazing work man! This is the best thing I've seen in quite a while!

10 October 2011
WOW! 1st off.. Thanks so much for all the kind comments and interest! I have some texture samples below. I didn't go crazy with too many textures.. in fact, for the scatter color I just kept it at an orangy red color. The important thing I found was relying a lot on my sculpt and the detail for the bump map. Because my subject didn't have a ton of color variation to her face, I did the textures by hand and tried to knock down the contrast in post later on. I feel sometimes we have a tenancy to overdue the contrast when creating realistic portraits.
MOS: I used a fairly high res mesh from mudbox, and then used a bump map to get a little extra detail across.. Although I am not sure it was needed.

Delcio: I found when I went too harsh on eye-liner or blush, it did end up making her far too saturated which made the skin look UN-natural. And I needed to adjust the contrast when I brought the final images/layers into PS.

here are some texture samples 'click for larger images' Thanks again guys!!!

10 October 2011
Beautiulf Work!

Fantastic Job!!

10 October 2011
That is VERY good work. There are only a few minor things that give away it's CG instead of a photo. You can certainly be proud of this result

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Thread Closed share thread