The Fallen, John Kearney (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2007
I Love This

Very Good Stuff

02 February 2007
its amazing man..... wow...... keep rocking........

02 February 2007
Thumbs up

Great piece of work.

02 February 2007
Just stunning !

02 February 2007
very very nice & terrific ...

02 February 2007
Very impressive and inspiring work.

Well done!

Cheers

P.

02 February 2007
Beautiful work John but you already know what I think of your stuff
Congrats on the front page feature.

Mike C -

02 February 2007
Thumbs up outstanding

What an absolutely formidable piece! Your detail is staggering and dynamic. Your work continues to blow me away. Please keep up the posts!

Jerusha Lederman
http://jerushalederman.wix.com/jerushahome/jerushalederman

02 February 2007
owwww thats great image

creature translucency perfect

02 February 2007
wooooooow

This is a rare image that deserves 5 stars. Congratulations! One of the best I have seen.

02 February 2007
It's such an impressive picture. one, which I could just look at for many minutes.
5!

02 February 2007
Thats Amazing! If I could ever make the movie I have in mind, i'd love to have my Satan as evil and dynamic as this. Its pure evil! 5 Stars!

02 February 2007
Hi John

First, let me say excellent work and congrats on the best of gallery. well deserved

I absolutely love the lighting on the underside of your subject's legs -cast up from the flaming embered whip. Can I ask- do you do lighting studies with any 3D programs to help guide you with this- cause it is just brilliant. I'll use low poly models now and again to get a general idea that I find helps, but the lighting in this piece is simply top shelf (right next to the peanut butter)

I also love the way that you render skin- it is so translucent and glossy- you have even painted in some subsurface scattering from the light shining through the thinner areas.
Very cool!

If I could make one minute crit about this piece (despite the fact that it is truly 5 stars all the way) Is that he seems a bit rigid in his pose- more in the upper half of his figure. The legs and everything have a nice flow to it, but he is flexing with a level of tightness that makes him feel like he is posing in the mirror after doing a few sets of ten reps with some weights. Having his whip come in along held tight to his side and then wrapping around the leg farthest from us tends to flatten his figure a bit as well.
Now please don't think that I am nitpicking- really it is a masterful piece- I just thought I would try and give you something to take away from this for the next painting you do.

Respectfully,
Gangus
www.gangus.net

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by J-K:
Ekah: Hey! Long time no speak.. how are you? Thanks a lot for your comments, I've appreciated your feedback for a long time now

I'm doing well although not as productive as yourself. Hey, you're welcome. Another well-deserved entry in the Choice Award Gallery.

Time for some crit now that I've had some time to digest your superb painting skill. I want to echo Gangus' comment about the pose. It's a bit like a karate stance at the moment. I think it would have been much more effective if you had pushed the pose to one extreme - either cringing/clutching or in a more fluid action. However, these are just minor crits. The shading alone cancels out any criticism I may have.

Will look forward to seeing more from you.

Regards,

Anna

02 February 2007
Question Quick question...

This image is awesome, it's one of the best things I've seen to date. Looking at it my first impression is the strength of your forms, proportions, skin complexion, etc. are stunning. I would have to render a 3D model to guide me for something like this. I like the sense of an old master in the pallette and setting too.

I have one question though: Was the choice to make this creature, seemingly male, but without visible genitalia, a deliberate and conscious one? And, if so, why?

Thread Closed share thread